Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2003, 05:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Belt replacement on 454 Gas Classic

Anyone know what it takes to replace the belts on the 454 GM Gas engine. It looks almost impossible to me.
AccessMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:47 PM   #2

We had one replaced in OH: 3 guys sweating and swearing that this was the hardest thing they've ever done.
We had one replaced by one (expensive) mechanic in NJ: it did that in a flash. Easy.
Wait when you have to replace a water hose on the a rest stop on the interstate. We did that. Hours and hours of contorsions. Mike had to modify a screw driver, work with arms backwards (facing away from the van), and my (skinnier) arms in there too to guide him.
Good luck.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

belt replacement

The biggest problem I have had on the 454 in motorhomes is getting the right fit. Suggest you take in old belts and match-up or be prepared to make several trips to your parts store...on the other hand maybe you are a lucky guy and everything will fit...lol..jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:01 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Re: Belt replacement on 454 Gas Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by AccessMaster
Anyone know what it takes to replace the belts on the 454 GM Gas engine. It looks almost impossible to me.
It's all about leverage. It's easy to loosen the bolts and work the belts over the fan blades and out. It's a little harder to tighten the alternator, compressor and power steering. I have a different tool for each one of those. For example, I use an old VW Van shifter stick to tighten the alternator. It has just the right bend to slip it under the alternator for leverage.
Usually after a few hundred miles all the belts need to be retightened or else they will drive you nuts.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
On mine:

Alternator-crank-water pump Dayco 11A1170, up to 2 inches longer should also work.

AC, power steering, crank, water pump Dayco 11A1535, 1 inch shorter should also work.

Upper radiator hose is GM #6259953, Goodyear 61455.

Lower I could not find a formed replacement, used a universal 1 3/4 x 1 3/4, 24 to 26 inches.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
go to auto zone and tell them you have a p-30 van motor home and the belts are correct for my 84 310. need to know if you have a A.I.R. PUMP. if so the altenator belt will be longer.
the belts are easier to install if you replace all at the same time . two people one under the unit to hold the belt in the correct slot on the crank pully. the power steering belt is the pits it is the shortest and the hardest to get to when you try to tension. and it is at the bottom of the mess. no rom to work . next is the altenator water pump, and AIR PUMP if you have one. dont remember what size wrench i used to tension the belt but it isnt fun either. ac, power sreering , water pump is the easyiest. if you cant do that one dont try the other two. take it to a mechanic. and dont even try to put a belt on with the engine hot
to be more precise dont try to do very much to a hot 454 engine it will burn your hands bad bad . blisters in a ny sec. i speak from experience . lol
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
just looked back . dont you have one belt a serpentine. it is flat with little groves. not v belts. i hate those. your gonna need lotsa luck
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I second the motion on Auto Zone, I went to NAPA last year and got all the spare belts and hoses off the shelf. They looked up the P30 Van and had all in stock. Some parts places will have a listing for the motorhome chassis, but it doesn't come up until they actually get to the parts pages, and is not in their index. Makes no sense but then??

I also bought one of those emergency hose repair kits just in case.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Just to through my 2 cents in. We had to do this in my son's 1990 Suburban. On top there is a belt tensioner for the serpentine belt. You need to use a socket with a long handle or a monkey wrench. Attach it to the bolt on the PULLEY! Don't remove the tensioner. We broke one this way. Pull on the wrench (I believe it is counter-clockwise viewed from the front) and it will bring the pulley assembly up and off the belt. This is definitely a two+ man project. Things may be very different under the cowling of a MH. The main point is that if it is a serpentine and has the pully, you don't need to loosen anything else. I don't think anything else (alternator, A/C compressor, etc.) is even capable of being loosened.

Good luck. Hope this gives you a little more info.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 08:31 PM   #10
30 yr Airstreamer

2018 16' Sport
Port Townsend , Washington
I took one look in there and said no-way. I talked to the mechanic that replaced my belts and he says it is not to bad if you know all the little tricks. I took mine to a MH repair place, lots of familiarity with the P-30/454. You might as well do all three, serp, power steering and air. Total labor costs was $118 and $68 for the belts. While your at it have them look at the radiator hoses. For mine upper and lower with clamps, flush, fluid etc was about $200. Well worth it for peace of mind this summer.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Belts...

Hi All...
How U all doin 2day, It's bn a while since I was abt, sorry, but bn car hunting....
Speaking of BELTS...2 weeks ago we changed our car, from a '92 to a 'late '99, Ford Fiesta, the old one was a 1.1, pushrod engine...the new one is the same type of car but has the 1250cc 16 valve mazda engine, fuel inj, pwr steer, air con, an so on, it's a Ghia, top dog car...however, it was a bargain...HONEST, my mate over the back fence, asked me how many miles it done, I told him 86000, on a one owner/full service history...Mmmm he said, has the CAM-BELT bn change at all, then he told me his had snapped it cost him almost £450.00 for a part engine rebuild...and sugested I changed mine, so I took it to the same guy who fixed up his car, I picked it up 2 day, at 3pm, this guy said I must have GOD'S LUCK on my side...he showed me my old timing belt...it is abt an inch an a quarter wide, an there was a split of abt 3-eights of an inch long on the old belt...it turns out it could have snapped at any time...leaving me with a nightmare....
So for the sake of £ 70.00 it WAS well worth it...now if I had taken off the cover I may well have seen it myself...but I don't have the right screwdriver head to undo the screws, nor the special tool to lock the pullies up, so NOT to upset the engine timing, if I do the job myself...some things r best left 2 EXPERTS,
The Guy also threw in a few other little bits 'n bobs, and a tweak here an there...as he now knows I will use him agn, if the cause arises, plus my D/D has a car too...
I feel a great sigh of releif now, knowing the belt is NEW, an good for another 60,000 miles, so if in doubt, CHECK...I'm glad I did...Good luck 2U all...enjoy what ever U r doin...Chris.....
Old 05-01-2003, 10:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Good Show~

CHRIS

Great tip~! It's always nice to have a friendly "reminder" of things we all forget about.

Quote:
HONEST, my mate over the back fence, asked me how many miles it done, I told him 86000, on a one owner/full service history...Mmmm he said, has the CAM-BELT bn change at all, then he told me his had snapped it cost him almost £450.00 for a part engine
BTW:
Did you take your mate over the BACK fence out for a PINT of ALE??

Nice to hear from you again..
ciao
T7
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 12:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Belted-up...

Good morning " T7 "...an ALL...
Nice 2b back...I've had so much going on, over here, I realy would'nt bore U with the pettyness of it all, but with us having 2 bank holidays so close 2gether...we had 2 squeeze 6 days work into 4 days, b'tween 4 workers...long days...now agn this w/end, 5 days in2 4, as we r off on monday, a WELL deserved break...
Yes I kinda gave my mate a drink, a dozen botts of lager, left from xmas, ( LOTZ of date on it )...HAD it bn, our " BUDDS ", NO Sir...he would have had NO chance...BIG-LOL...
The Guy who done the belt 4 me, tells me U would NOT believe how many people actualy said " I've bn meaning to get it done 4a LONG time now...after it has bn recovered 2 his garage 4 MAJOR engine repair...Come on 4 hours on a sunday morning aint gonna harm much, U not gonna MISS the car from 6am-10am (ish), the money they spent on a saturday night would almost cover the cost...LOL....but some people get their priorities right !!!
It's a big burden off my mind, I cn tell ya...The Guys who done the job r local, an VERY good, as I read Yr posts, a lot of U too are particular who works on Yr vehicles, too right too, apart from the main Ford dealer at abt £ 120.00, these Guys ARE good, as I was reconmended to them, by my mate over the fence, as they done his, the other week, when he got his car exchange, EXCUSE the saying here...but there R a LOT of " COWBOYS " out there, one hears horror stories every day abt these so called mechanics, but our local gov: r closing in & down on them...which IS good, 4 the like of me an my D/D...who has only had her exchange car 2 weeks, an the clutch went, the seller got it fixed, it GONE agn...with a bang...he is MAD 2 say the least...NOT as half as mad as we R...NOT his fault, I gave him the fone number of the Guys I use...one never knows....
Well my North 'n South is speedin agn !!! LOL, I'll catch U on the flip flop...B-Good...
....." GOD BLESS AMERICA ..... ...Chris.....