Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2003, 07:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Chino , California
batteries won't hold charge

The house batteries discarge over nite without using any of the lites or appliances,or may be not charging at all?I haven't drove my MH for 2 months it just park in my yard, I was busy fixing little thing like faucet and windows etc.All this time she is plug-in to the house 30 amps 110 AC which I provided and dedicated to the MH alone.I have been using the air,TV, pump and other stuff while plug in .
2 days ago I decided to check to see if it will hold the charge well it was dead after I checked it yesterday.I plug it in again today and I will check every hour and see if the charge even happened.The engine battery is not affected at all.Can some one tell me where the charger is located may be it has a blown fuse or something easy.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
are your 12v accessories like lights and such working when it is plugged into shore power? If so the univolt may be fine, although when you leave it plugged in for a long time, it will typically fry the batteries. Mine went dead from the same situation, I thought leaving it plugged in was a good thing, then I found out differently. You have to leave it plugged in long enough to maintain a charge, check it with a volt meter, and then unplug. All the while be sure there is enought water in the batteries also.
I would plug in the charger, and check the output at the batteries to see if it is 14v or so. If it is, then the batteries may be fried and will not hold a charge.
In my 280 the charger is under the right curb side bed.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 08:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Chino , California
Hi Alan,
All of the 12vdc are working while pluged in, you may be right the batteries could be fried,I did checked it before parking,and just yesterday it has plenty of water but they look old.May be its time to buy new ones,I checked Costco, and the RV deep cycle is about $50.00 not too bad.I'm using the new style gel battery for my Porsche, Idont drive it that much, less than the MH it holds the charge good and low maintenace and no worry about leaking acid.Do you think its a good way to go with the new style "Optima" is the brand name.Or how about going with 4 6volts series/pallel.
Where is the univolt located?
Old 10-18-2003, 08:21 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Your charger/univolt is included in the breaker/fuse panel under your stove.

The optima's are a good way to go if you don't use it much, but I would check the charging requirements and make sure they are the same as a normal deep cycle. The standard equiptment charger will not have the ability to charge any different way than the normal deep cell style.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Isn't the Univolt designed to quit charging when the batteries are to capacity???
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Chino , California
I thougt same thats why I left it plug in.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
"Univolt" location

On my 86/87 the charger/12 volt unit is located on the floor, directly underneath the range. The 12 volt breakers/fuses are accessed by a metal door directly behind the wood drop down panel. Remove the drawer (or ice maker, if so equipped) directly under the range for visual inspection or repairs.

The 110 breaker for the "univolt" is located behind the overhead roadside tambour in the bedroom.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 04:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I thought the Univolt was made to cut off, but I think the constant connection dries out the batteries, and cells sulfate and die. I watched mine do that , and ended up with two 2 1/2 yr old Delco marine/rv batteries that need replacement. I am not the original owner so the warranty is null, and void.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:37 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Chino , California
Alan
I decided to get new batteries,When should I Stop charging,Should I rig it up with an off/on switch between the univolt and the batteries?So I can still use the 12Vdc when plug-in,or the univolt is auto shut off when the batteries are fully charges?
How long should the bateries hold the charge at idle not plug-in to the shore power.
Sorry for not using the correct terms,Im very new at the MH scene, I assumed you guys are using teminology like boating,Ie..
starboard,port,deck,bulkhead,head,galley,flight deck etc..I was in the US Navy.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:17 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
It may be possible to turn off the univolt/magnetek. If not already setup, you could wire a switch into it to do so. It is better to cut off the incoming 120 volt power that to disconnect it on the 12 volt side. If you look behind it under the stove it may just plug into a wall outlet.

I normally leave mine plugged in for a week and unplugged for a week. That is if I do not leave anything on. If I have stuff on I leave it unplugged for no more that a day.

Right now I have 2 fantastic fans and the refer on, more than a few days and I could kill the batteries.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
timer

I just bought a $10 timer. Comes on at night and can be set to stay on for 2,4, or 8 hours until light. I have it set to come on 4 hours per night. Figure that should keep the battery topped off without overcharging or relying on the Univolt to do its job.
Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 06:50 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Chino , California
I found out that only one of the batteries is dead, after dis-connecting the bad one the other is now working normal its holding the charge.I'm going to change both of them
anyway.What brand or kind of battery should I be looking for,I know it should be deep cycle. The one in the there now is a Nautilus,670 mca,180 min. reserve?
Old 10-26-2003, 01:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
I went to an Interstate bayyery facility and they looked mine over and advised these batts:

2 SRA-27 deep cycle coach batts for $84.00 each.

1 MTP-78 DT (dual terminal) crank batt for $112.00

Haven't bought them yet because I need to clean out and paint the battery box before replacing with new batts.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 02:08 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This is sort of related.....

On the newer coaches, you can keep them connected to shore power. Is this only a univolt issue?

The converter in the coaches over the past 3 years have not seemed to have that problem. I know first hand that I've kept my Bambi on shore power when in dry dock and the batteries are good as gold.......

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote