Old 04-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Bathroom Renovation

This renovation is not complete, but it is getting close, went through the first trip and the concept is proven, some work to do/ finish but, it is functional, possible and working.

I will get share more photos as things progress.

Curt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190321_142559098.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	337114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190322_193746740.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	337115  

Name:	IMG_20190311_143021308.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	337116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190321_142613114 (1).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	337117  

SpiceStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Ok, so is the final plan to swing the shower head out into the hall, add a floor drain with appropriate finish flooring, curtain/door off the kitchen and bath? At first glance at the pics it looks like you're changing to a wet bath but after studying it for a bit......

mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Now I get it (thanks, Mayco), and I like it. I avoid the shower in our 310, too claustrophobic.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
I will try to get a better picture tonight, and add an autocad drawing of it to demonstrate the way the doors work, but it is basically a two compartment system like before in what I will call the traveling position. there are two doors on each compartment, when the doors are opened, they create one bathroom that extends from outside wall to outside wall so the hallway becomes the shower, the drain is currently in the middle of the hallway. The shower head is swiveled out into the hallway area when in use, I swapped the rain head out because it held water inside of it which splattered everywhere when driving. I can still use the toilet in the traveling position without my knees touching the door as in the original layout, there is plenty of room now. The shower is almost the size of my shower at home, to put it in perspective, I used the original shower in our 310 one time in 3 years, I used this one 8 out of 10 days on the trip we just took. (the two days I did not use it was not due to anything with the bathroom not working, it was a logistical issue) I it really works well. Is it perfect? no, there are 4 doors to deal with, but it takes about 5-10 seconds to convert it. and the hallway is wet when you are done with your shower, it takes 10 minutes to dry if you squeegee it out and the humidity is not too high. these are two small inconveniences as apposed to essentially never using the shower in the motorhome. Having the sink on the curb side works well, because someone can be in the bathroom and someone can be using the sink. I assume that most of you are traveling with 2 in your 310, but we are 4-5 so the more we can divide and conquer the better. I know a radical change to the original layout makes most of you cringe, but the original bath layout did not work for us at all...it actually made me consider going with a different motorhome.

One major consideration on this project is that these motorhomes move everywhere when running down the road, every finish was designed to move, the outside walls are clad in redwood and Douglas Fir milled with a cove and bead (system used for many decades in boat building) it is 1/4" thick and works extremely well on the curved walls, on the flat walls I used an LVT which was designed for shower use, it has a special tongue and groove that is watertight, I also silicone the joint for extra protection, this can flex, expand, and contract with the road as well as the extreme weather and temperature swings these rigs see. I am going to use the most flexible possible products in the floor, I will let you know how the durability of these products shakes out.

Work to finish:
I am going to tile the floor, and change the pitch / drain, I will update when everything is finished.

Hopefully this helps, keep asking questions and I will do my best to get you an answer.

Curt
Old 04-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Drawing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bathroom.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	337288  
Old 04-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Can't say I understand what was wrong with the original shower, but it sounds like you enjoy your upgrade and you're doing a great job of it!
Excited to see pictures of the finished product!
Old 04-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I get it. Ya, the original shower pretty much sucks. Looking forward to the progress. Are you able to use the OEM bathroom door or have you replaced it? What type of door on the other side? Are you going to use the same flooring throughout the kitchen/bath/shower/bedroom areas or will there be transition where kitchen/bedroom meet shower area? interesting and creative for sure....good exhaust fans will be a must obviously. This could be a very practical mod if you can keep the water where you want it.
You're the guinea pig here, haven't seen anyone attempt it before although there have been some who have made some drastic changes to the wall configurations in attempts to make the space more open. ANYTHING one can do to make the shower more user friendly in the 310 has my ear.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:12 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Magnet18, if the original shower works for you, by all means stick with it, this has been a ton of work, head scratching dealing with walls that were not built level or plumb, if you like the stock set-up use it. I am big and fat and do not fit.

Mike, I made all new doors, cutting the walls back and building the doors was by far the most difficult part of this project. None of the stock walls in my 310 were built plumb or level at the factory, so getting 4 of them to line up perfectly in several planes has been a real challenge. Michelle and I are still in discussion on the flooring in the rest of the rig. The first pass was to floor level the entire bathroom floor, build the pitch with vinyl floor patch, and epoxy for water repellency. This was to see if the pitch and floor leveler would stand up the movement and abuse of thousands of miles of bounding down the roads less traveled. So phase one test passed. Now I am going to change the drain a bit, make some adjustments to the doors (because they are still not lining up perfectly) and tile the bathroom, I have pained over the added weight of tile, but I convinced myself that the added weight was worth it for the added durability, and it is right over the axle, and on the floor, so the extra 100lbs should be negligible in the grand scheme.

Hopefully I will have a bit of time to push this project forward this weekend.

Curt
Old 04-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Here is a better picture of the doors in the traveling position, the doors are the same on the other side of the hallway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190321_130636736.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	337369  
Old 04-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Here are a couple pictures that may help with the door situation.

Curt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	89330.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	337374   Click image for larger version

Name:	89331.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	337375  

Name:	89338.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	337376  
Old 04-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Nice work on those doors, they look great. This is getting more and more interesting. It's definitely clean looking in the "travel position". I removed the OEM vinyl accordion doors years ago, it was amazing how much just that cleaned up the view down the hall. I use the bathroom door to close off the bath/bedroom from the kitchen. I cobbled together hardware to hold the door in the open position and it can be "unlocked" from either side. I don't like the cobbled together hardware but I couldn't find anything to do what I wanted.

This is looking good Curt, like you said lots of work but if you're gonna make the shower user friendly you have to get creative. Fun to watch. Good thinking on the swing arm shower fixture. You haven't really changed the footprint from OEM, just cut those walls back a bit. Looking forward to seeing it in person.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Ahh.....now I get it ! Big and Fat....now it all makes sense !!!! LMAO, thatís great, nice work, and pretty extreme engineering, Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
1979 30' Argosy
Vienna , VIRGINIA
Bathroom Renovation

Wow! This is some impressive redesign work.

I suspect disguising the drain not to look like a drain might be a cosmetic consideration also.

An idea: as long as the Mrs (or you ) donít wear high heels, maybe continuing the wood theme of the sink area across the floor with some type of patterned teak flooring with gaps would work(?)
my3sonsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Mike, I think the way you have your doors working was what started the gears turning on this project. I forgot whos it was, but now that you explained it, it was definitely yours.

Yes, you are free to give it a try whenever we get together next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Nice work on those doors, they look great. This is getting more and more interesting. It's definitely clean looking in the "travel position". I removed the OEM vinyl accordion doors years ago, it was amazing how much just that cleaned up the view down the hall. I use the bathroom door to close off the bath/bedroom from the kitchen. I cobbled together hardware to hold the door in the open position and it can be "unlocked" from either side. I don't like the cobbled together hardware but I couldn't find anything to do what I wanted.

This is looking good Curt, like you said lots of work but if you're gonna make the shower user friendly you have to get creative. Fun to watch. Good thinking on the swing arm shower fixture. You haven't really changed the footprint from OEM, just cut those walls back a bit. Looking forward to seeing it in person.