Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
1975 26' Argosy 26
Placerville , California
Back-up Camera

Any advice on back up camera for Argosy 26? Also looking into new radio with blue tooth. Thanks
al
alhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #2

1986 32.5' Airstream 325
East Liverpool , Ohio
I updated my radio last season with a "retro classic" from "retro sound" (retrosound.com). Exact fit replacement so I didn't need to cut the dash. Had the option of wired or Bluetooth connectivity to my iPhone. Went with the wired connection because it was a little cheaper. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9829.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	284283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9828.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	284284  

DarininOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Both Peter and I have purchased this Jensen stereo. Peter has installed his and I believe is quite happy with it. My dash isn't installed yet so I can't vouch for it's qualities yet. I did power it up and downloaded the latest maps when I first got it and it seemed to work just fine.

Starting at about post #277 Peter starts a discussion about his installation. The discussion covers several posts spread out over several days.

Since your dash is like mine you won't be able to use what is could a 2din or double din radio. You need to use a single din like this Jensen. That's why I opted for one with a popup screen. If you would like I can post a picture of my dash with the radio opening cut into it so you can see what it looks like.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I am just replacing my 2nd camera that failed.
I use 2 cameras, one up at the rear marker light and a second in the passenger mirror.
If I get my chit together, I will put together something to post. (just dont use the brand of cameras I did!)
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:15 AM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I use a 'Chinese brand' WinCE GPS/tablet from eBay in Bella. It mounts on the windscreen (using a universal mount). The cameras are powered from their own fused connection and because the WinCE software senses if the camera is on, and switches from GPS to camera when the camera is returning a signal. They are wired via a simple on - off -on switch. To get GPS I leave the cameras off, switch to 'on' (down) powers the camera pointed at the tow hitch, 'on' (up) powers the camera straight back. Both cameras are mounted in the light bar, and are virtually hidden most of the time.

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:44 AM   #6
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
For the sound system we have several options.....

On the move we have a Kenwoord head unit, power amp with quad speaker output, and bluetooth from either of our iPads or iPhones, I also carry my entire music collection of a USB drive which plugs in the front panel.

When stationary the Lenovo HTPC (a Q190) (mounted in the closet) is connected to the power amp via a optical output, but also to a Samsung valve amp 'docking station' that sits on the night stand. I carry all my favourite TV shows and movies on a second USB, and means we can have surround sound when watching via the Q190/Kenwood, when sitting in the swivelled front seats, or just a very nice music/sound source if sitting at the dinette or laying on the beds.

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
1975 26' Argosy 26
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
For the sound system we have several options.....

On the move we have a Kenwoord head unit, power amp with quad speaker output, and bluetooth from either of our iPads or iPhones, I also carry my entire music collection of a USB drive which plugs in the front panel.

When stationary the Lenovo HTPC (a Q190) (mounted in the closet) is connected to the power amp via a optical output, but also to a Samsung valve amp 'docking station' that sits on the night stand. I carry all my favourite TV shows and movies on a second USB, and means we can have surround sound when watching via the Q190/Kenwood, when sitting in the swivelled front seats, or just a very nice music/sound source if sitting at the dinette or laying on the beds.

Wow Martin!! How about I just trade my Argosy 26 for your 20 and I'll be happy and all set and you can have another project. Seriously, you have done some great work. Thanks for all your help and advice,
al
alhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Here is a quick write up on my cameras.
I did not go into much detail and if I had to do it again, I would probably find a better way and better parts, but it works and now I feel blind when I am driving and dont have it on.
I keep my rear camera on all the time driving and switch to the side view camera for lane changes, especially when I am towing my 4 wheeler on a trailer. Too many people try and sneak by me on the right!
http://theouterlimits.ws/projects/ai...w_cameras.html
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote