Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2004, 09:45 AM   #1
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Auxiliary Electric Engine Cooling Fan

I am considering adding a 12 volt cooling fan to aid in engine cooling. I am asking those that have done this, did you use the single blade fan that has mounting brackets that are fastened with plastic ties through the airconditioner evaporator and then the engine radiator. This does not seem very secure. Or have you made your own mounting brackets that fasten to the steel bars that around the engine radiator? What other type of electric fans are available, new or at a junk yard that would work. I checked with Autozone and Advance and they both carry the same single blade fan that fastens as I described above with the plastic ties. Also did you use just a standard on/off switch or do you have it thermostat controlled? How much does it help in cooling especially in stop and go traffic or hill climbing? Thanks for any assistance in helping me make this decision.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I have used these on various vans and pickups.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10101

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 05:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I mounted 2 fans on my radiator support, no fan on the engine. The through the core mounts are quick way to do some expensive damage. One fan has a 180 degree switch, the other a 192 degree switch, both are mounted in the heads. The 192 degree fan also comes on when the ac is turned on. Both are wired to the battery, not through the ignition so they will run if the engine is off and still hot. Don't have a lot of miles on it, but never an overheating problem even when sitting idling for half an hour.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 08:43 AM   #4
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
What manufacturer and what diameter fans did you use and did you have to modify the mounting brackets or make your own. Where in the heads do you insert the thermostats to actuate the fans?

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 04-25-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
These instructions are for the "Derale Cooling Products" fans

http://www.derale.com/instructions.shtml
http://www.derale.com/instructions/s...ithswitch.html

On these fans the temperature probe goes between the fins on the radiator or into the upper radiator hose depending on the unit.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:00 AM   #6
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
My 345 has two fans mounted to the radiator support. I did not do this job (appears to be an option as it was mentioned on the Airstream cassette tape). It is wired into the temp light and the come on automatically if the coolant temp hits 220. I can also turn them on myself with a dash mounted toggle swtich.

I should mention that these never come on on their own. Last year I did a lot of cooling system maintenance (flush, water pump, hoses, etc.) and she runs below 190 on all but the longest hill climbs. I also run "Tow Kool" from Pep Boys in the summer which drops the temp about 20 degrees.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:06 AM   #7
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
What does a Tow Cool consist of? I will have to call Airstream and see if that option is still available. I am still concerned about placing plastic mounting straps through the air conditioner condenser. I believe it may cause stress on the metal and wear through from the vibration.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 04-25-2004, 09:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If you look at the outside of the heads there is a pipe plug about the middle; I mounted in these. There also might be a place in the intake where you can mount temp sensors. I made the mount brackets, the fans are 17 or 18".

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
My 345 has two fans mounted to the radiator support. I did not do this job (appears to be an option as it was mentioned on the Airstream cassette tape). It is wired into the temp light and the come on automatically if the coolant temp hits 220. I can also turn them on myself with a dash mounted toggle swtich.

I should mention that these never come on on their own. Last year I did a lot of cooling system maintenance (flush, water pump, hoses, etc.) and she runs below 190 on all but the longest hill climbs. I also run "Tow Kool" from Pep Boys in the summer which drops the temp about 20 degrees.
Swebster,

In my search for cooling system info I came across your post. My P30 chassis manual mentions that the later P30 chassis had the cooling fans as an option. Would you have any detail photos of the cooling fan installation on your MH that you would consider sharing?

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote