Old 07-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Atlas Steps Stuck in the down position.

My main entry side steps are stuck in the down position. I can hear the motor running trying to extend and retract the steps but no step movement at all. Right now my MH is unable to be driven down the road. I picked my Atlas up at the end of March of this year. I'm very disappointed.

RGJZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
My steps did the same thing and it required me to replace some rubber components in the drive mechanism. Not sure that your problem is the same as mine, as my steps are the original steps, but the parts that were needed are the same that are used to fix electric window mechanisms. These can usually be purchased an most auto parts stores. They look like round plastic thick disks about 1/2" in diameter and 1/4" thick.

92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
My steps did the same thing and it required me to replace some rubber components in the drive mechanism. Not sure that your problem is the same as mine, as my steps are the original steps, but the parts that were needed are the same that are used to fix electric window mechanisms. These can usually be purchased an most auto parts stores. They look like round plastic thick disks about 1/2" in diameter and 1/4" thick.
Thank you for the Reply.

I looked at the Interstate issues that they have had with their steps. Their problems sound a lot like mine. This is very disappointing given the amount of time my MH has been in service, (4 months).
Old 07-29-2019, 10:37 AM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJZ06 View Post
My main entry side steps are stuck in the down position. I can hear the motor running trying to extend and retract the steps but no step movement at all. Right now my MH is unable to be driven down the road. I picked my Atlas up at the end of March of this year. I'm very disappointed.
Hi RGJZ06,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having with the steps in your Atlas. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 07-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Was wondering why this isn't a warranty covered issue since it's a 2019 model.

Nice to see that AS is watching this forum.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Was wondering why this isn't a warranty covered issue since it's a 2019 model.

Nice to see that AS is watching this forum.
This problem should be covered, it's just I can't drive it with step down.

It is nice to have AS monitor this site. They contacted me today by email and gave me some direction about fixing it.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Side windows

To Airstream corporate,
My325 is original. Could I take out the original windows and put in new windows from a trailor. Would they fit. I understand they may have to be drilled differently,and on the inside of the coach they may need some custom trim work done. It would be very nice to have modern windows, that don't leak,are quiet, and more secure. Plus the new windows look cooler.
If they will fit, could you come up with a kit price for classic coach. Thanks DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Why not contact AS directly?
Old 08-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepardstown , West Virginia
This happened to me as I was leaving for a week camping trip over July 4th holiday. I did not have time to identify the cause of the steps NOT retracting so I pulled the carter pin out of the arm control that physically moves the steps. This allowed it to move freely, next I closed the steps and used a C clamp to hold them in place. At the campground, I took the C clamp off and used as normal.

Once home, Kwikee double electric steps(Series 32), the problem was not with the motor but with the control module. I am in the process of searching for a replacement part this weekend. For those with motor issues, keep in mind this is same motor used by Ford in their pick up truck power windows.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:08 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
This happened to me as I was leaving for a week camping trip over July 4th holiday. I did not have time to identify the cause of the steps NOT retracting so I pulled the carter pin out of the arm control that physically moves the steps. This allowed it to move freely, next I closed the steps and used a C clamp to hold them in place. At the campground, I took the C clamp off and used as normal.

Once home, Kwikee double electric steps(Series 32), the problem was not with the motor but with the control module. I am in the process of searching for a replacement part this weekend. For those with motor issues, keep in mind this is same motor used by Ford in their pick up truck power windows.
Looks like the roll pin broke causing the steps to stay in the down position even as the motor was active. I phoned the factory about it to get some guidance. As it turns out, they directed me to Coach Net for repair. They said if Coach Net could repair it in a reasonable amount of time they would pay for it. It only took two hours to make the repair and I paid CN up front. I am currently waiting for a check from Jackson Center.