Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Atlas Steps Stuck in the down position.

My main entry side steps are stuck in the down position. I can hear the motor running trying to extend and retract the steps but no step movement at all. Right now my MH is unable to be driven down the road. I picked my Atlas up at the end of March of this year. I'm very disappointed.
RGJZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
My steps did the same thing and it required me to replace some rubber components in the drive mechanism. Not sure that your problem is the same as mine, as my steps are the original steps, but the parts that were needed are the same that are used to fix electric window mechanisms. These can usually be purchased an most auto parts stores. They look like round plastic thick disks about 1/2" in diameter and 1/4" thick.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
My steps did the same thing and it required me to replace some rubber components in the drive mechanism. Not sure that your problem is the same as mine, as my steps are the original steps, but the parts that were needed are the same that are used to fix electric window mechanisms. These can usually be purchased an most auto parts stores. They look like round plastic thick disks about 1/2" in diameter and 1/4" thick.
Thank you for the Reply.

I looked at the Interstate issues that they have had with their steps. Their problems sound a lot like mine. This is very disappointing given the amount of time my MH has been in service, (4 months).
Old 07-29-2019, 10:37 AM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJZ06 View Post
My main entry side steps are stuck in the down position. I can hear the motor running trying to extend and retract the steps but no step movement at all. Right now my MH is unable to be driven down the road. I picked my Atlas up at the end of March of this year. I'm very disappointed.
Hi RGJZ06,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having with the steps in your Atlas. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 07-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Was wondering why this isn't a warranty covered issue since it's a 2019 model.

Nice to see that AS is watching this forum.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Was wondering why this isn't a warranty covered issue since it's a 2019 model.

Nice to see that AS is watching this forum.
This problem should be covered, it's just I can't drive it with step down.

It is nice to have AS monitor this site. They contacted me today by email and gave me some direction about fixing it.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Side windows

To Airstream corporate,
My325 is original. Could I take out the original windows and put in new windows from a trailor. Would they fit. I understand they may have to be drilled differently,and on the inside of the coach they may need some custom trim work done. It would be very nice to have modern windows, that don't leak,are quiet, and more secure. Plus the new windows look cooler.
If they will fit, could you come up with a kit price for classic coach. Thanks DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Why not contact AS directly?
Old 08-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
This happened to me as I was leaving for a week camping trip over July 4th holiday. I did not have time to identify the cause of the steps NOT retracting so I pulled the carter pin out of the arm control that physically moves the steps. This allowed it to move freely, next I closed the steps and used a C clamp to hold them in place. At the campground, I took the C clamp off and used as normal.

Once home, Kwikee double electric steps(Series 32), the problem was not with the motor but with the control module. I am in the process of searching for a replacement part this weekend. For those with motor issues, keep in mind this is same motor used by Ford in their pick up truck power windows.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:08 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
This happened to me as I was leaving for a week camping trip over July 4th holiday. I did not have time to identify the cause of the steps NOT retracting so I pulled the carter pin out of the arm control that physically moves the steps. This allowed it to move freely, next I closed the steps and used a C clamp to hold them in place. At the campground, I took the C clamp off and used as normal.

Once home, Kwikee double electric steps(Series 32), the problem was not with the motor but with the control module. I am in the process of searching for a replacement part this weekend. For those with motor issues, keep in mind this is same motor used by Ford in their pick up truck power windows.
Looks like the roll pin broke causing the steps to stay in the down position even as the motor was active. I phoned the factory about it to get some guidance. As it turns out, they directed me to Coach Net for repair. They said if Coach Net could repair it in a reasonable amount of time they would pay for it. It only took two hours to make the repair and I paid CN up front. I am currently waiting for a check from Jackson Center.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #11

Summerland key , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJZ06 View Post
Looks like the roll pin broke causing the steps to stay in the down position even as the motor was active. I phoned the factory about it to get some guidance. As it turns out, they directed me to Coach Net for repair. They said if Coach Net could repair it in a reasonable amount of time they would pay for it. It only took two hours to make the repair and I paid CN up front. I am currently waiting for a check from Jackson Center.
My dad is having the same issue with a brand new Atlas. Between this and the GPS not working this thing has spent more time in the shop than on the road.

Is there a part of fix for this that can be done at home or does it need to be brought in (with the steps somehow zip tied up)?
QuietRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:45 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRiot View Post
My dad is having the same issue with a brand new Atlas. Between this and the GPS not working this thing has spent more time in the shop than on the road.

Is there a part of fix for this that can be done at home or does it need to be brought in (with the steps somehow zip tied up)?
The Coach Net repairman pushed the steps up and pushed in a pin to mechanically hold them up. The holding pin is part of the step assembly. It stayed up during the trip to have the complete assembly replaced. My steps were replaced at the factory.

Hopes this helps.

RGJ
Old 04-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #13

Summerland key , Florida
Yep, found the pin. Thanks.
QuietRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:54 AM   #14
On Airstream #5

2019 16' Sport
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
2021 Interstate 19
la canada , California
can you provide pictures since if this happens to me I want to be able to do the same thing? In stead of a c clamp will a vicegrip work?
danmiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
Pontiac , Michigan
Steps stuck down too

Would appreciate any pictures of what to take apart, clamp, and example of repair. Drove home for 2-1/2 hours with the incessant beeping on my 2019 Atlas with 15k miles on it.
ezscreener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
Pontiac , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezscreener View Post
Would appreciate any pictures of what to take apart, clamp, and example of repair. Drove home for 2-1/2 hours with the incessant beeping on my 2019 Atlas with 15k miles on it.
Update:
Found the locking pin to secure steps in “up” position on the upper left side of the step under the coach. It’s spring loaded and needs to be pulled out past a stop and turned while guiding the step upwards to find the hole to lock in. Now to the repair
Old 06-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
Pontiac , Michigan
https://www.airforums.com/forums/att...7&d=1602799244

Excellent instructions on another thread helped immensely. Thanks to the creator.. both. Now the steps are repaired and I’m equipped with extra shear pins in the tool box.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:08 PM   #18
On Airstream #5

2019 16' Sport
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
2021 Interstate 19
la canada , California
I took it apart after the second roll pin broke and tap the hole with threads but for a 10/32 X2" nylon bolt. If it breaks I will use an easy out and replace it.
danmiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:02 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
loves park , Illinois
brand?? who made the stairs-steps ??

does anyone know who actually builds these steps-power stairs for airstream? a support rod on my 2021 Atlas snapped off last night and i figure it is quicker to just buy the dang part and install it myself than go through the Airstream warranty hell ! I am dealing with a huge warranty problem that the factory is claiming my fault. ( my slide opened while I was driving and ripped the slide awning off half way,and AS claims it was my fault as they claim someone opened the slide as i was driving.. funny , i am the ONLY one in it , when driving it when it is going down the road..
chasrolex69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:54 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasrolex69 View Post
does anyone know who actually builds these steps-power stairs for airstream? a support rod on my 2021 Atlas snapped off last night and i figure it is quicker to just buy the dang part and install it myself than go through the Airstream warranty hell ! I am dealing with a huge warranty problem that the factory is claiming my fault. ( my slide opened while I was driving and ripped the slide awning off half way,and AS claims it was my fault as they claim someone opened the slide as i was driving.. funny , i am the ONLY one in it , when driving it when it is going down the road..
The slide extending while moving must have been a real eye opener.

When the factory replaced my complete step assembly, they brought the assembly in a crate/box. I didn't notice at the time who the manufacture was. Just give Jackson Center a call to find out who the manufacturer is. Hope this helps.