Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2003, 01:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Argosy ???

Finally saw the inside of the now identified 77 Argosy 24ft (which had been painted and marked as an Airstream). Inside is very dirty - but intact. There are two leaks - front end cap line, and airconditioner. And I see some lifting in the ceiling. Ideas on what's ahead for me? I've read the threads on roofs - but what about this interior ceiling problem? Thanks for any info. I'm posting two a couple of pictures - but not with this message - as the size prevents it.
spinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:05 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

pics

here's one hopefully
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insideroof.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2196  
Old 06-23-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

inside 77 Argosy 24

interior
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inside1.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	2197  
Old 06-23-2003, 01:34 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
spinster,

The leaks on the front cap line are te ones I would look at closely. The AC leak is more than likely just a spot that needs some additional Vulchem, or a blocked drian line.

As to the interior panels. If the lifting you are referring to is the warped look of the panels above the lights, this is normal. Those are ABS and as such they are not as flat as the aluminum skin in the center.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 02:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

end cap leak

Whew..nice to find out good news. Having only dealt with wood frame campers - a wavy or buckled panel on the roof only meant one BAD thing. About the roof leak...what am I looking for on the exterior that say "OH No." If it hadn't been pouring on the day I looked at it I may have missed the leak altogether. There is no staining of the carpet or anything to indicate it's been happening for a while. It MH has been painted and I will go up and look next visit. The owner said "No problem (which always translates to big problem) just put some silicone sealer up there." Doesn't sound right to me - but that and roof cement is all I'm used to.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:22 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
First lets define where the water is entering the coach interior.

Is it the seam where the body joins the curved front shell?

Is it on one of the corners of the windshield?

How is it parked? is it nose down or nose up from a level standpoint. Remeber water runs downhill.

First lesson on an Airstream/Argosy is NO SILICONE!

You need to use the proper sealant for the job or it will fail in a very short period of time. Vulchem or Par Bond are the preffered sealants. They are not cheap, but retain their sealing properties and stay flexible for many years. They also have a better adhesion rate than any silicone.

If the leak is on the seam up high between the front shell and the main body you will have to look at the roof first. I have seen where the rivets that attach the main roof sheet to the shell were installed in a very poor fashion and time has caused them to leak. A telltale sign of a failed rivet is a black ring around it. The black ring is powdered aluminum beacuse the rivet is no longer holding on to anything. This is fixed by replacing the rivet and using the proper sealant.

There could also be a leak on the front edge of the front roof vent. I would look whith the vent open and see if the front of the vent had any impact damage.

Water can travel far, so I would also inspect the antenna mount and the lead in cover plate to see if there are any large cracks in the sealant.

All of these areas can be resealed but I would clean them and redo it with the proper types.

If the leak is coming from the corners by the windshield or below the line of the windshield on the sides, then there are more things to check.

Start with the front clearance lights. The aluminum blocks that they mount on have a tendency to leak. There should be a small bead of sealant over the top seam where they meet the shell. Check the tops of the driver and passenger windows, looking for voids, or missing rivets. Both can cause a leak.

Leaks can be tricky to find, and it can be trying, but if I were you I would use it as a negoiation tool, at least you will have the satisfaction of have saved a few bucks for the trouble.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 06-23-2003, 04:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Man Newkid, you sure are one crazy motorhomey!!,

After all you have been thru you are still right there helping out your fellow mh'ers.

I would be burying myself in a good case of scotch whiskey if I had been in your shoes! You definitely have got some serious aluminitus !! (sp)

Looks like your sig line regarding the checkbook has really bit you in the rear.

Chas

(Edit, looks like you took it off?)
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 05:28 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
I am not bitter, S**t happens.

As to the sig, you are right, if you poke at the dog long enough he is going to bite you. Well I just got bit.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 06-23-2003, 06:07 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Thanks

New Kid - thanks for all the info. The drip was coming from the area above the passenger seat directly over the folded table - and over is a seam line which I assumed was the join between aluminum and steel. I will definitely look for the black rings - I think the paint is broken at the line enough for me to tell. But if it's traveling from somewhere else I'm at a loss. Since it was raining when I saw it I checked everywhere for moisture and found two spots in that same front area directly under that seam. I don't even want to mention what was going on with all the windows. I was thankful there were all there w/screens. But opening may be a problem. I've read a couple of threads about that and don't even want to think about it until the water is taken care of - I'll be thinking steam bath though if I can't air out the place a little. It's wonderful to have experienced (maybe not all happy experiences) folk to talk with. In the MH was the original owners manual which looked like a book - I doubt it will have all the answers I need though. I am going to make a deal with the owner...this little coach has my name on it. My husband thinks it should be repainted someday back to the original Argosy colors - but I kind of like the disquise for now at least. One thing at a time. Thanks again.

Spinster (spinning wool - no old with glasses)
Old 06-23-2003, 07:02 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
If the water drip was coming off the silver metal that runs front to back, the leak could be anywhere above that point. That channel is one piece front to back and the water can move long distances before coming out. I would say start with the TV antenna, they have an O ring that is easy to replace and can be the entry point. It could just be one leak at the ac and it is dripping 2 places.

If the drip was coming off the beige plastic channel then it is more likley what I described above.

Still good to remember that water can travel far, so you may have a bit of a hunt to find the leak.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49