Old 12-05-2002, 09:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Austin , Texas

53 Cloud,

Thanks for the comments on my Argosy. Feels good to get it "over the hump" as far as the intensity of work. Now I am down to the petty things like curtains and a rear window awning.
On another note, I agree that I may be off somewhat in my analysis of the "Invisible A/S" syndrome, I am known to enjoy a beer or two while perousing ( is that a word?) the forum and at times it can cause the creative juices to overflow.

( I need to check that word!)

Former Airstreamer
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 01:08 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I can't attest to years past and current numbers, but when you produce 15 trailers and 6 motorhomes a week (the figures the factory gave us in the summer of 2001), you aren't going to get a lot of production over the course of a year. Figure model changeover and other holidays, and if production of the trailer line stays at 15 per week, that 750 trailers a year based on 50 production weeks. Now thats not a lot of new trailers to spread across the entire nation.

I heard though that this year has been a banner year for Thor overall, and that Airstream has been at full production.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 01:27 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
When I was at the factory a week ago, we were told they want to up production to 20 trailers a week.
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 09:23 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Hi All: We have a 1988 345 classic, we travelled in it for 18 months mainly up and down the Atlantic coast and across canada. The last few years we have not used it much, BUT this Feb. we will be heading south, so be on the look out for us and WAVE WAVE when you spot us. It is true though that so few mh are seen on the road.

Happy travels Howard and Ann
howardann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 10:58 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Well I for one was also somewhat surprised by the lack of Airstreams on the road. The most I saw on my recent journey back home was 5 AS parked at Circus Circus in Las Vegas. Three of which were parked together and left together - one newer Bambi, and did see one MH. Occassionally, we would see one AS trilers or two at a campground but only counted three on the road - always traveling in the opposite direction I was. My road home included down route 1 of the Orgeon coast, through San Fransisco (yes, did the golden gate bridge as well as downtown San Fran). Then I headed through Bakersville,CA, stayed one night - and Las Vegas. Then cut through across interstate 10 and stayed at Fredrricksberg, TX (in the middle of nowhere - a totally German town)... Then did New Orleans, Kingsland, GA, my hometown Charleston, SC and then the ride home to PA....
Jody - Jody's Website
JodynJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 12:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Where I'm staying, there are: one 2001 Land Yacht MH, three 70's model TT, one 80's TT and one 90's TT. A park down the road has about four TT.
I've seen more A/S TT & MH's on I-95 between Daytona & Palm Beach, than on my entire trip back from BC.
p.s. I bet AZ & NM have more A/S TT & MH's than any other region of the US.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 04:33 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
My wife and I took a 3000 mile 64 day trip to Northern New York and eastern Connecticut and return to Palm Bay Florida. During the whole trip we saw one AS TT. It was a fairly new 34' Classic. That was in NE New York near Glens Falls. We were pretty excited, because we had noted the absence of AS trailers on the road. Here in Melbourne Florida there are two AS parks. Port O' Call which is closing in a couple of years due to the airport expansion and one other that I can't think of the name. In both there must be a couple hundred (consertive estimate) AS travel trailers and several AS motorhomes. BTW Port O' Call was featured on the cover of the July issue of Trailer Life.
Vic Smith
Director Florida State Rally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 09:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Yorkshire , England

Hi Andy/RV Centre....
Yes I'll second U on that one, I saw LOTS on the day my Son & I met Edie & Brett. By the sounds of it they may just well MIGRATE to warmer FLORIDA...can't say as I blame them...infact we saw so many...I lost count...Chris.....
It's NICE 2B Important...but it's more Important 2B NICE...Chris.....
canny_banjo_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 09:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
just returned from trip to texas about two thousand miles , we saw seven or eight trailers on the road and half a dozen parked in rv parks. also saw one silver bullet mh at walmart in shrevesport la . chatted with the owner and he had a nice crease on the lower side of the 345 that he blames on a barrier at circus circus in vegas. and he states he gets 13 miles per gal . also saw a fiberglass AS MH in missippi he about wore his light sw out flashing his light at the silver wennie as we went by. i thought he was nuts untill my wife said it was a AS mh . the newer fiberglass mh i dont see the roads were full of MHs going west on I-20. HUNTSVILLE HAS SIX SILVER BULLETS mhs THAT I KNOW. i put twenty thousand miles on mine this year. and fifteen last . and a friend of mine has a 290 and he put probably ten thousand on his. THEY ARE OUT THERE JUST GOT TOO LOOK.
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:31 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
WB13798....mine is one of the AS MH's ('96 Land Yacht LE) in Huntsville....actually, in Gurley...but, I've never seen any others here!
...oh, & there are 2 old trailers sitting out in front of a house on Old Gurley Pike between Mayesville & Gurley...both are single axles, one has oval rear window, one rectangular window...they never tags either!
autoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 05:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
well my count only for classic air streams . now that you mention it i know where two newer airstream are . one of the classics is located in gurley but is is at present in a repair facility awating a window. it belongs to tom horn . do you know tom??
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 09:49 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member
Name sounds familiar but can't say that I know him...mine sits at my hous in Big M Farms
autoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:27 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member
1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
airstream sighting 1/2/3

well this one was not invisible. a classic motorhome 280 . it looked like a 1982 but I am not sure. It looked good.
the number on the coach was 13817(?) it was on I-75 heading north approaching I-285.
I am sure the driver was thinking about the wide open spaces but
it looked like it was moving a 15mph in Atlanta's 4pm traffic.
It made me want to be on the road also.
Enjoy the unexpected
1981 Excella 28' MH
jpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 10:58 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
well at least someone has seen ME!!. My 1982 is 13617, and we were on the highway headed from Alabamaand the Fla panhandle.
I will post about the trip elsewhere, but while in Destin, Fla, we pulled into Henderson Beach State Park- and my son left on his bike for a cruise. He returned excited to have seen a 310 parked at the beach. I assumed they too were camping and went over to talk to the owner. They were pulling out, never to be seen by us again, just as I got to the main road....saw the tailights only. Or did I??? another Airstream apparition

ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote