Old 02-08-2003, 07:44 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Vagi Antenna

Here is a picture of a Vagi antenna I just purchased from Fab Corp. I wonder if this would be an alternative the the Dr. Bott antenna. It does have a sharper pattern, but it may have less wind resistance mounted on the roof of the motorhome. It was only $40, buy two and have a spare!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vagi.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1428  

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 03:20 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

My security device

I have a rather simple security device ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lock.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1431  

Old 02-08-2003, 10:50 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

This sounds like quite a rig you are putting together...

Be sure to post some PIC's when you get this all put together. I have a HP D135 printer networked for all three MAC's. Standard Airport system linking everything together. I use AT&T broadband service hitting speeds of 1+ megs per second in download. It was all plug and play for me and has worked absolutely flawlessly since I put the system together. I have been at least a 100ft away from the base station and still been connected. I am very happy with Airport. You may have a few issues to work through to intergrate all that your attempting. As far as a universal adapter, have you considered a small plug-in inverter? I purchased a Vector-Maxx SST power inverter, the 225 watt model. It is compact 4"X6" weighs about a pound and will run any 110volt appliance. I picked mine up from Ebay for $30 new in the package. They come in all sizes up to 6000watts. Below a pic of a 400 watt model. Since your talking stereos have you checked out the apple ipods? I have a 10gig ipod which I use in my MotorHome through the in dash stereo. The 10g ipod holds up to 2500 mp3 files. Sounds great, near CD quality and you can leave all your CD's at home. The ipod is plug and play with the Apple OsX ( itunes) operating system. Highly recommended
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	i-1 2.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1435  
Old 02-09-2003, 02:43 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Griffin
Alarms, antennas and inverters...

Hey there, today was fun. I spent half a day at Mobile Fantasy in Sherman Oaks outside Los Angeles looking at Stereo and Alarm Toys. Haven't really checked in on this market since we did my wifes car a few years back.

I have to say the Viper 790 VX is a very neat system, and I think it's going to work out well with PICK's idea about a sensor driven light. I'm thinking of wiring the proximity sensor around the motorhome to the "Warn Off" audio feature of the alarm as well as the door handle and the curb side proximity sensor to a spotlight AND A DIGITAL CAMERA. This will give me a log of entries, if not exits.

Neat antenna, Pick... I'll look into it. Good point about wind profile... Although if I can emulate the Spotlight mountin mechanism you seen on so many Airstream MH's I think it will be okay. (Haffta look into how they avoid cable wrap.)

Anyway, I bought two Wagan 350 Watt small inverters at Fry's (God bless Fry's Electronics! Please open one in SF!) down in Burbank, although I crashed my other towed vehicle through the front entrance (http://www.kaluta.com/media/frys-burbank.jpg) Tripple A wouldn't tow it without proof of alien quarantine on my pet Runchie.

I am thinking about taking the Wagan's back though because I'm worried they don't do sine wave output... I'm thinking my Tivo and MotoSat modems might be tempermental without that.

BACK TO AUDIO: After listening to components I'm deciding to keep my old head units an put what few toy dollars (Post VIPER 790 VX) are left in my rapidly dwindling budget into the amp and seperates (Boston Accoustics) and bridge my MP3 server to the stereo... You're right, Evan, I've got an iPod although it's only 5 Gig... Still my current fave's fit on it and I've got a 400 Gig Big Disk full running off the Titanium which I'll connect to the in "car" system with some "Griffin Technologies" toy (Not my "other comapny" although I should own stock with the bucks I send their way.)

Keep the faith,
Griffin

Old 02-09-2003, 11:26 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Forgot to mention....

This little cheape Vector Maxx inverter does have filtered/modified Sine Wave noise reduction technology. Also rated a "Soft Start" device for delicate electronics. In other words no big power spike on start-up. I have run my laptop without problem as well as lights & TV. Comes with 2 year warranty but even if it quits I will just buy another for the $30 price. Back to alarms, I put a Clifford system in a jeep Wrangler. Being a convertable I needed something that would protect from someone reaching into the vehicle when the top was down. The shop installed a motion detector that will trigger a warning chirp then sound the alarm when it detects a body in close proximity. The system is smart so it knows the dif. between someone "reaching into" vs "someone just standing next to" and will act accordingly. I imagin on a large MH that several motions sensors placed strategically would be necsessary.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:57 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Griffin
Smile So far so good... but still no Motion detect

Well, I got the 790 VX fully installed yesterday... I was leaving the motorhome unattended overnight on the street in Los Angeles so I really wanted to get the alarm installed and it works like a dream.

However, we didn't add any Warn Off sensors, as the guy said it doesn't work through aluminum... I'm not entirely convinced, but I did decide I needed to have basic alarm functions and that I could add to the system as I perfected the design... The 790 VX has a bunch of relays and aux functions so I think the best option is going to be to actually add a Motion Sensor and a Light in the same Glass enclosure above the door. As opposed to putting the sensor in the window to the right or left of the door.

The Viper 790 VX has a great remote, with two way communication, paging and confirmation features which make it really nice when I'm in a best buy, walmart, target, etc... I can take my time without needing to check in on the motorhome. I can arm and disarm to test the range if I wan to...

Anyway, I also replaced my head unit and integrated the G4 and iTunes into the stereo... I've got the Sat dish rigged to the in house TV and I'm installing the upgraded/internet aware Tivo next week...

Still haven't pulled any cable to the back bedroom but thinking about maybe through to the underside of the coach and pulling 2 Cat 5e RJ45s, 2 Coax RG6, and 5 Speaker pairs (for eventual Dolby 5.1.)

Here's the neat remote:
http://www.evosoft.dk/hViper/2_way_system.gif

Anybody here got a big white loveseat type chair opposite their couch in their motorhome? I can't figure out why Airstream put this thing in... I DOES seem to sit above a wheel well, but It seems to have an awful LOT of mass, and I'm thinking I'd like to modify it or replace it.