Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2002, 08:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Airstream Newbie

Looking to purchase a 1981 Excella Motor Home. 59k miles. Everything seems to work except the Ice maker. (Got to have that fixed) I havent found many of these avail. for purchase so I need to know if thats a good or bad thing. The Excella is in good shape, needs lots of love and TLC. Any info or comments you fine people have would be greatly appreciated. And anyone who might be able to give me a price estimate would also help. Thanks for your help.
jaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 05:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
You can buy replacement ice makers. It may cost more than you want though. I love the ice maker in my 345. I also freeze ice packs in there and transfer them to the main freezer to help it out. Ice on a RV trip is very nice.

As for pricing, its a wide range based on condition. Check everything and budget $2,000-$5,000 for repairs. Just taking a swag, I'd say $8,000-$15,000 if everything is in fair to good order. I would not go higher than $15,000 even if it's in great shape. I'd stay close to $10,000 so that when you sink your $$ into it, you don't go over the $15,000 high end.

You will be fixing more than you think. The old line.....everything's working.....don't buy it. Your opinion will be different than the seller. You have different priorities and standards.

Search ebay for completed auctions and the final price. ebay tends to be low since you can't see it other than the photo.

Ask Peter what he'd sell his for.

My two cents.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 05:51 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you were to take a poll most of the motorhome owners would tell you taht their Ice makers don't work. Bets bet is to try a marine store for the size of the one in a motorhome.

Price.....

This is a ver subjective issue. You have NADA value, if it is nes enough. Then there is loan value, and the asking price. to reuse a very old line , it all comes down to condtion, condition, condition.

Fred may be able to give you some of these numbers.

Even if today the only thing wrong with it is the ice maker, you need to dig deeper. Is the current owner the original owner? are there any maint. records? Has anything major been replaced lateley? With 59K you have a double edged sword, based on a 20 year old motorhome that is 2950 miles per year. Leaving a drive train sit without using it is hard on seals and gaskets. I would ask how many of those miles have been in the last 3 years. The idea is if it sat for 17 years and then was used alot, the prior owner may have already had the seals or gaskets done.

If you are not mechanically inclined I would se if you can take it to a trusted or impartial mechanic and have the drive train checked out. This and the major appliances are the things that can drain you bank account quickly

Other than interior mechanicals working you need to not fuss too much on drapes/carpet/upholstery. All of these typically need to be done anyway.

Not trying to dissuade you on the possible purchase, but hopefuly pointing you in the right direction. Lastly, if it is priced right for you, and is in a condition that you feel you can live, with or correct, do not wait too long to make a desicion. Some one else may make it for you(by buying it while you are "thinking about it").
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 06:01 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Fred,

I do not think Peter would sell his, period. If it ever does go up for sale there would be a bidding war 'cause we all know that there is nothing wrong with it (exept the ice maker). Some day he may get bored because he has nothing to tinker with so he would buy another one.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 06:49 AM   #5
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
The ice maker is great storage space.
Besides that you would not fit in with the other MH owners, if yours would work, (just more proof concerning Fred's ability to fit in)
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 07:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Peter,

If you need any ice at Mystic Springs, go ask Doc Joe. He and I have working ice makers! My ice is for people that are nice to me!

FYI - I drove a moderate speed to Jacksonville last weekend even though everyone was flying past me. I put it on cruise control (speed unknown) with the tach at 3,100 rpms (est 60-65mph). My engine temp ran 210 on the way back. It was 220 on the way over but after topping off the oil and water, it dropped to 210.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Mine never had an ice maker. My freezer works really well though.
I would agree with the range of pricing on a good running most systems " go" 79 of 12-15000. Someone may ask a bit more and get it, with interior upgraded or redone, and some other amenities like the Banks power Pack. I looked for months at the under 20000 range for a early 80's model and they were not readily available. They were mostly in the 15-18000 when I did find them though.
I kept copies of ads in a file to watch the price trends. This time of the year of course, and later on towards winter is the best nuying season. Everything will be 10-20% higher in Spring.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 12:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1981 Excella Diesel

Believe me, what looks to be in great shape almost always has some hidden warts. We planned to spend whatever it takes to bring our Silver Bullet up to as close to perfect condition as we could afford. This will be our full time residence for approximately two years. So far the purchase price was less than what we've spent towards our goal. You can check out the in progress pictures on our WEB page.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rldienst/page3.html
dienst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 06:25 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Ice is nice

Just to be werid I want to tell everybody my Ice maker makes to much Ice. If you leave it on over night you will have an overful bin in a years time you could probally fill up the whole motorhome. Camping world sells the same unit and the price isnt to bad.If I was buying a used couch I would ask the seller to demonstrate all of the appliances .My furnace did not work when I bought it also the blender did not work it was dissconected. the previous owner had used the juction box for an instant hot water for beverages .I hooked it back up and it works ok but sometime when I start the generator it will run by itself? this has only happened twice. Maybe a stuck switch any how .Make sure you check out all the rubber goods belts ,hoses tire sidewalls these are the things that almost all rigs need if they have set for a while.
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 07:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
The ice maker is great for my kids soccer games. We have lots of ice for their water jugs. Every time we return the MH to storage, we are dumping lots of good ice in the grass. The output of the unit is impressive. I use ziploc bags of ice to supplement the fridge. Monique also makes milkshakes with the ice and the blender. A yummy RV treat!
Old 09-08-2002, 07:47 PM   #11
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by 1985air345
.....dumping lots of good ice in the grass....
Hmm, I see.....
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote