Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums

Old 08-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
bradenton , Florida
Newbies to MH and all else- looking at older AS MH, Holiday Ramblers (

All replies above were most helpful, so thanks to all! Hoosierdaddy, I thought the HRambler was aluminum sides which is one reason it is high our list (along w history of reliability for the money).

The Foretravel (older) and even those older (80s) Wanderlodges seem more our speed - they sound like a solid chassis (more safe too??), quality and NO slides and less frills! We want to camp AND travel w this MH (not compete w the Hilton).

So far, for 95-2000 (due to cost and hopefully more 'quality'), we are looking at Monaco, HRambler, and still drawn to the AS MH (due to needs above) - but when 'researching info" the AS MH isn't mentioned like the others). :-(

Been looking on RVtrader (and craigslist Tampa and nearby).

How is Lazy Days in anyone's opinion? We may need to go SOMEWHERE to get more "education" and test drive some things, etc. Any other dealers you would suggest that are nearby (Tampa/Sarasota)??

Any suggestions for our price range and safety/quality before frills-list, please feel free to respond - your experience and even 2 cents is worth something to us! :-)

hiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:27 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
You are still on target looking at HR/Monaco. And the old Wanderlodges were way cool. There is one of those for sale near me with a Cat and they say road ready...I believe asking 14k. They were certainly neat.

wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
I'm fairly new to the RV world too. But got the aluminitus bug doing a trip with my brother and his AS 31 classic trailer.

I ended up going for a 1989 345 motorhome. And am quite happy with it after full timing for a couple of years now. And lots of long distance travel adventures.

I feel the materials used and the timeless design make it worthwhile to put $s and effort into the rig as it should give me good service and retain some value when Im done with it.

Some of the brands you have mentioned are very different beasts. The wander lodge for example is over twice as heavy as my rig. This could really be an issue depending where and how you want to use your rig. Some are just meant to be on the pavement.

Which ever type you do chose. A willingness to get dirty and learn to deal with things yourself is a good approach to getting enjoyable use from any of these older complex machines.

Don't close your eyes to the older classic airstream motorhomes, you may like what you see.
I've been drawn to the diesel pushers for fuel economy and better build quality but have come to realize the much higher initial cost and higher repair costs move them out of my comfort range.

Best of luck in your search.

Cheers Richard

tevake is offline   Reply With Quote