Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Calgary , Alberta
Airstream Interstate RATTLES!!!

After I took delivery of my new 2017 AI ($205,000 - Canadian dollars), and drove off the dealership lot to head home to our ranch about an hour away, I was excited. BUT I could not believe that every little bump in the road delivered a whole bunch of rattles! How could it be that such an expensive new machine rattle so badly. Can you imagine picking up a new BMW or Mercedes car and hearing rattles on the way home???

I am handy and went to resolve - this was my discoveries:

1) they had forgot to install (or perhaps they don't anyway) small cupboard rubber bumpers - the same ones you have on your kitchen cupboards at home so they won't bang when you close them. The AI storage doors are wood closing on a metal frame. So off to Home Depot where a bought a small packet of these and installed on every single storage door. They close quietly and don't rattle.

Still more rattles! I discovered that the sliding screen door - which must be retracted in order to close the main outside sliding door - was another source of a rattle. The retracted door frame rattles against the permanent screen door - frame rattling against frame. So I studied how to approach this. Decided to locate a point where the two frames are touching together. Drilled a small hole with a metal drill through the both of them - and installed a wing nut. I tighten it up and now no rattles! Essentially a 1.5 inch bolt with a wing nut - which I remove once stationary and need the bug screen in operation. takes about 50 seconds to remove the wing nut and bolt, so just one more small step when stopping and setting pup your AI for a camping experience.

Also the TV sets rattle a bit - planning to work on that. Now my AI is much quite and enjoyable on the highway where I can listed to music rather than a bunch of rattling noise!

I also added rubber matting - used in kitchen cabinets to put dishware on etc - to reduce rattles of contents inside the cupboards. will not stop till I have this expensive beast quiet for road travel!!

Bob
Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Bob, your approaches are sensible and well thought out! Indeed, one would hope these rattles would not occur on such an expensive vehicle but it seems that....they do. Noise has been one of my top concerns when I contemplate the possibility of purchasing an Interstate in the next few years but you have proven that where there is a will there is a way!

I'm sure that others who actually own an Interstate will chime in but I just wanted to write, "Well done"!

Chris
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There’s a lot of stuff in your Interstate that are not in a new luxury vehicle, and they do tend to rattle.

You can reduce this some, but learn to think of it as music for the road.

Enjoy
Old 03-06-2018, 05:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
LOL... if you go to the B-Van subforum and search the word "rattle", you'll come up with 48 different threads.

This one contains some additional targeted suggestions. There was another memorable one... I can't locate it right now, but a while back, a forum poster whose native language was not English described rattles in terms of a gremlin running loose in his Interstate when his back was turned. It was one of the funniest things I've ever read on Air Forums.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Just be glad you don’t have my old Itasca class A.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:18 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Those rubber mats you refer to.... I assume it's the rubber shelf liner stuff. As we traveled and kept adding items to the drawers and cupboards, we noticed new rattles from our own belongings. We are grateful that the dollar stores are everywhere and they almost all have it for dirt cheap.

https://www.dollargeneral.com/gripri...RoCuy0QAvD_BwE

Regarding the screen door rattle, you may be able to quiet that by adjusting the tension of the little roller wheels to get rid of the extra up and down play. Move the upper ones up and/or the lower ones down to take up the slack. You'll know when you've gone too far as the door's sliding action starts to get stiff. Clean the tracks every few days of use and use Silicone lube from time to time.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #7
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Brownstone,

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you described in your 2017 Interstate Lounge Ext. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
My 2018 rattles like crazy too. I know some of it is the back TV. And some of it is the pantry with the sliding shelves. There is also a metal rack in my microwave that came with microwave so Ive just left it in there. I haven't checked the drawers or screen door, but will...thanks a lot
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:30 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Prince George , Virginia
Same here, 2020 AI 19, the screen door is all over the place, rattle, I noticed when it was in the show room the dealer removed it and put it on the floor, hint, hint, so, I was not so surprised. I also remove all the kitchen utensils from the cabinet, better, but the gremlins are still there!What's the point? You have the expensive cabinet but cannot use it. Over all, I'm still happy but annoyed.
mcintoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
If your screen comes out that easily, check the plastic rollers on top and bottom. Mine were busted. With working rollers and adjustment, screen should be snug and not rattle. The microwave rattles with anything in it. You learn to pack so things don't rattle....took me a year. You were pulling a trailer, so you had no idea how everything was moving down the road, but a lot of roads are bad. Someone explained to me that it's like constant tremors from an earthquake going on back there. I had 2 TVS. yes, they can rattle. I got rid of one. I use bubble wrap and drawer liner between dishes to prevent rattle. You can also use your towels and linens to cushion stuff. Check your galley drain pipe. Mine broke twice because it was not secured against movement. It was bouncing up and down at least 3 inches with each bump. Mine is now secured and no more rattle. It takes some time to figure out where they are all coming from. But with time you can get it pretty quiet. I don't know if you have air suspension or if it makes a difference. I have it, they say it's supposed to help.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Maple Valley , Washington
Rattle stop

In out 2017 Grant Tour, I have eliminated both TV's and now use a new 13" iPad Pro instead. I found a magnetic mount from Mob Armor sized for a tablet and have installed the simple round (about 2.5") metal disc where the TV's were mounted. Lost the DVD and all that complex stuff too. Now we have Netflix, Amazon, web browsing, e mail wherever we want it!
Rattles decreased 70% with that alone and no more bumping into the TV's!
Love the rubber bumper ideas....off to Home Depot ASAP!
mvinterstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Not sure if they put the expandable bath wall in the newer models, but ours is a constant source of creaks and I haven't figured out yet how to secure it or get bumpers in it to make it stop. I have not seen anyone else complain about the fan, but ours makes all kinds of racket as we are driving. I'd love to fix those two issues. Who wants to listen to that for an entire trip? I bought plastic bins at Target to keep items in the upper shelves. It helps keep your items contained and from banging around as much.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Pawleys Island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvinterstate View Post
In out 2017 Grant Tour, I have eliminated both TV's and now use a new 13" iPad Pro instead. I found a magnetic mount from Mob Armor sized for a tablet and have installed the simple round (about 2.5") metal disc where the TV's were mounted. Lost the DVD and all that complex stuff too. Now we have Netflix, Amazon, web browsing, e mail wherever we want it!
Rattles decreased 70% with that alone and no more bumping into the TV's!
Love the rubber bumper ideas....off to Home Depot ASAP!
Any chance you have pictures of your TV removal.. either the process or the final product? I’m interested in doing the same.
justinshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:19 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Maple Valley , Washington
Lightbulb No more TV rattles.....iPad solution

Sorry for the delayed response. Attached are a couple of pictures of out iPad conversion. Very happy and ALOT less rattling around while traveling!
The iPad moves easily from front to back with the pre mounted metal discs that magnetically accept the mounting system (put one on the dash too for super sized navigation.
Not sure why pictures were turned when downloaded?

Cheers All!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0550.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	360490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	360491  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	360492  
mvinterstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #15

2014 27' FB International
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bend , Oregon
My microwave has been a rattle source for me as well as the screen door. I stuff a rag along the bottom of the microwave
BruceTami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTami View Post
My microwave has been a rattle source for me as well as the screen door. I stuff a rag along the bottom of the microwave

Yeah, we store paperplates in there. Seems to elimitate microwave rattles and gives a nice bit of extra storage.

My "Moby Dick" rattle that eluded me for almost two frustrating years turned out to be a metal regulator (?) on the copper tubing mounted just 1/8" beneath the stove top. Naturally, any significant bump and it clattered. I just never reached far enough into the blind area to locate the rattle (which was difficult to find the source by ear).

About all I have left is the Maxxfan lid and somehwere I saw a post on where to add a thin stip of felt. It's not that loud or bothersome, but I need to get to that next.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTami View Post

Yeah, we store paperplates in there. Seems to elimitate microwave rattles and gives a nice bit of extra storage.

My "Moby Dick" rattle that eluded me for almost two frustrating years turned out to be a metal regulator (?) on the unsecured copper tubing mounted just 1/8" beneath the stove top. Naturally, any significant bump and it clattered. I just never reached far enough into the blind area to locate the rattle (which was difficult to find the source by ear).

About all I have left is the Maxxfan lid and somehwere I saw a post on where to add a thin stip of felt. It's not that loud or bothersome, but I need to get to that next.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Pawleys Island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
Those rubber mats you refer to.... I assume it's the rubber shelf liner stuff. As we traveled and kept adding items to the drawers and cupboards, we noticed new rattles from our own belongings. We are grateful that the dollar stores are everywhere and they almost all have it for dirt cheap.

https://www.dollargeneral.com/gripri...RoCuy0QAvD_BwE

Regarding the screen door rattle, you may be able to quiet that by adjusting the tension of the little roller wheels to get rid of the extra up and down play. Move the upper ones up and/or the lower ones down to take up the slack. You'll know when you've gone too far as the door's sliding action starts to get stiff. Clean the tracks every few days of use and use Silicone lube from time to time.
Hey.. wondered if you could provide some more detail on how to adjust the tension on these roller wheels? I looked at mine yesterday and wasn't sure where to start.
justinshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Greensboro , North Carolina
Screen roller adjustment

Not sure about your screens, but many have an adjustment for the wheels/rollers. You might find a small hole in the end of the screen near the roller, and a very small screwdriver goes into the hole to adjust a screw that moves the roller up or down.
Binther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Not sure if they put the expandable bath wall in the newer models, but ours is a constant source of creaks and I haven't figured out yet how to secure it or get bumpers in it to make it stop.
As long as mine is closed, it doesn't creak while the vehicle is in motion. There is a metal pin that holds the expandable wall closed, and I learned early on that I not only had to push the pin in, but then twist it clockwise to get the panel tight and keep it tight.