Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2016, 11:42 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
San Francisco , California
.. And how would you choose over a 454 engine with
110,000 miles vs one with 35,000 miles?

The engine with less miles is from 87 and the other from 92.
jhagemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Did you ever travel in central- and South America?
Old 09-08-2016, 04:59 AM   #23
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhagemann View Post
Did you ever travel in central- and South America?
Two combat tours in Belize (Guatemala) at the behest of her Majesty's Royal Marines. I can't say I did a lot of driving around, but more yomping through jungle and getting excrement thrown at me from Howler monkeys.

I did watch Top Gear Patagonia trip, which only cemented the fact that Argentina was most likely off my trip planner, ( Falklands April-Sept 82). Based on that show I wouldn't take a 350 through Bolivia as the mountain passes are bloody scary.

Whatever you buy, remember, shiny things attract attention, so if you can keep the exterior non-descript. You want to look local as much as you can.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:02 AM   #24
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
.. And how would you choose over a 454 engine with
110,000 miles vs one with 35,000 miles?

compression test?
Like other said before, a well used and maintained engine may be a better choice, but you have to expect other components showing a lot of wear.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:06 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Wow ! .....what a great topic. Just remember, as we all know owning and driving an Airstream motor home is definitely unique. As far as maintenance goes we can figure about 6 hours of maintenance to every hour of driving ??? If you are willing to do the work yourself...call it a hobby ??? sickness??? great, but if you are going to pay someone to do it for you then I can most certainly tell you that you will indeed be on the side of the road waiting for help. You need to understand how all the operating systems on these 30 year old systems work. I call it nuts and bolts...I like the "fun" of looking up obsolete parts and getting nowhere on almost a daily basis. In my opinion I would go for the tag axle, but it is a personal decision.... I think they handle better on the highway....less sway, better braking, assuming the tag axle brakes are working and the extra room is great. The 325LE that I own and rebuilt is nice but the 370LE that I am currently working on is the cream of the crop for me and is proving to use all of my skill and all of my business associates knowledge to try and nail down replacement parts. One of the most difficult things I am going through right now is trying to find parts that the previous owner threw away because they went bad, IE microwave with factory brackets and mounting plates, air conditioner compressor and mounting brackets that hold it to the engine, receiver dryer etc. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #26
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
One of the most difficult things I am going through right now is trying to find parts that the previous owner threw away because they went bad, IE microwave with factory brackets and mounting plates, air conditioner compressor and mounting brackets that hold it to the engine, receiver dryer etc. Regards, Bob
I'm thinking you're more of a hunter, than a killer kinda guy Bob. The thrill of the chase.

John's 325 TD suffered from this form of PO care. His PO was a pilot with meticulous log books, but anytime he took his moho in for something to be fixed, something inevitably ended up in the garbage. The generator doesn't work! Toss it out! Leveller control panel doesn't work! Toss that too. It's not cheap to buy a new HWH control panel when 9 times out of 10 the old one was just fine, if it had been cleaned up.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Is it nuts?

So... if 1 hour drive is equal to 6 hours maintenance this is certainly not going to work. Can this really be true? I see and hear about lots of people driving around the world in all kinds of cars/vans/rv's etc. and I am guessing that they have breakdowns of course, but not in a ratio 1:6.

Our trip is 30,000 miles. At an average of 50 miles per hour through Central- and South America that would give us about a 600 drive hours. I am for sure not ready to put in 3600 hours of maintenance.

Im not so sure that I understand what it is, that will go bad all the time. If its engine stuff, I should just get a brand new engine? Or is it other stuff? Are these Airstreams really that badly build?

Jacob
Old 09-09-2016, 05:09 AM   #28
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
... Are these Airstreams really that badly build?

Jacob
No, they are just old, out dated technology with hardened rubber, cracking plastic, rusting metal, fuel hogging shiny cool looking fire/accident traps.
Would I take a vehicle like that on an extended trip to Central/south America. NO WAY!! And not just for the reasons above, but mainly for not wanting to attract attention.
I think Bobs comment was to illustrate the kind of commitment needed to own a rare bird like a Classic Airstream Motorhome.
A mid 2000 class C would serve you much better for the same price IMHO
PeterH out
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Well, after Caffinated was called out for being a downer in another thread.
Then this one is going the way it is, it must be in the air these days.

There are many approaches to classic ownership and use.
One that I admire, but don't attempt myself is. Total restoration.
The goal is to renew, replace, repair to original spec or better.
All of the vehicle and components.

This is a demanding, time and money consuming endeavor. And doesn't result in much camping/ traveling use. But for those that are on this path the satisfaction seems more in the accomplishments and progress with the projects.
These are the folks I'd like to purchase from, as they move on to their next project.

There are those that just use up old vehicles. Doing little maintiance, trying to get as much use/ miles out of the thing while putting as little as possible back into their coach.
They may, for a while get a some use from their rig. But it's a downward slope for it, and a steep one at that.
These are the folks id rather not buy from.

Then there is the wide range of us somewhere in the spectrum in between those extremes.

While I haven't kept close accounting of the hours or $s spent while I've owned my 345. ( this is an important practice in vintage vehicle enjoyment )
I'm pretty sure that the six to one be ratio far exceeds my balance.
Probably closer to two hrs work for one hour traveling. And this doesn't factor in the pleasure of being aboard between trips.

I have had to replace some components and do some deep repairs.
I have also lived aboard for most of the three years that I've had the coach. And driven all over the country including many trips thru Colo.that involved many high passes to be negotiated. Last summers three month trip the length of the west coast, south to north, then back down to central Calif. and back to Az. by way of Colo. over 7k miles in the coach and a couple of thousand of miles on the toad (also an oldie but goodie)during that trip.
I'm positive that the mechincal condition of my coach is better now than when I got it. I think of it as a rolling refresh. While getting a lot of use and miles with it I'm also gradually improving the overall condition of the rig and its components. And having a lot of fun in the process.

A lot of the experience of owning and using these old rigs is set up by the coach that one buys into.
Pick up one that has been sitting unloved or unused for a long time, that been stored out in the weather. For little $s. And you will certainly have your work cut out for you.
Find an actively used and cared for unit and at the age they are, you will still have a lot to do. But will also get to enjoy some pleasurable use along the way.

Before this becomes a novel, I will add that I was looking for a single rear axel unit when my 345 found me. And I'm very happy with this "queen of the fleet". Coach. Great layout inside, nice on the road.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
How many people?
Big picture - what are we trying to achieve? For me, in the states, I wanted the state parks, so the 300 is the better option
If there are only two of you, shoot for the 300 and the 454/4L80E.
Easier parking too

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Do not count on running across Isuzu parts in Mexico. Until recently the only Isuzu stuff was industrial. maybe the odd 10 ton. There are truck dealers selling the NPR's. We live in Mexico 6 months a year and have RV'd right to the Gutemalan border. Have done it in a restored Clark Cortez,2 different truck campers and a Bluebird 35 ft. front diesel. I would be very worried taking an Airstream on the secondary roads. Do the AS units have decent ground clearance? I would never worry about not finding parts for the Tag axle. You could have the hubs custom machined at low cost. But anyone with a P30 chassis should worry about getting parts for the chassis. Much of it has become obsolete. You sometimes can find drag links but be prepared to step up and PAY! There are other steering parts that do not exist. I was looking online at a 84 345. Does it use the infamous Autopark brake? Parts for that system are also becoming obsolete and very expensive.

Moisheh
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I was looking online at a 84 345. Does it use the infamous Autopark brake? Parts for that system are also becoming obsolete and very expensive.

Moisheh
No autopark on our '84 310. The trans has a "park" pawl in it with a "P" on the gear selector, and the parking brake is a drum brake mounted between the tail shaft of the trans and the driveshaft.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Do not count on running across Isuzu parts in Mexico. Until recently the only Isuzu stuff was industrial. maybe the odd 10 ton. There are truck dealers selling the NPR's. We live in Mexico 6 months a year and have RV'd right to the Gutemalan border. Have done it in a restored Clark Cortez,2 different truck campers and a Bluebird 35 ft. front diesel. I would be very worried taking an Airstream on the secondary roads. Do the AS units have decent ground clearance? I would never worry about not finding parts for the Tag axle. You could have the hubs custom machined at low cost. But anyone with a P30 chassis should worry about getting parts for the chassis. Much of it has become obsolete. You sometimes can find drag links but be prepared to step up and PAY! There are other steering parts that do not exist. I was looking online at a 84 345. Does it use the infamous Autopark brake? Parts for that system are also becoming obsolete and very expensive.

Moisheh

I think most here would agree, Ive never had a single problem finding chassis parts for my '82 310, P-30 chassis. Ive replaced a good deal of the front end parts, brakes, air bags, ball joints, tie rods, bell cranks, etc etc and found everything readily available. A good deal of folks use Rock Auto as a supplier but there are many.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:10 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I think most here would agree, Ive never had a single problem finding chassis parts for my '82 310, P-30 chassis. Ive replaced a good deal of the front end parts, brakes, air bags, ball joints, tie rods, bell cranks, etc etc and found everything readily available. A good deal of folks use Rock Auto as a supplier but there are many.
Ditto for a 74 P-30 chassis......
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Ditto for a 1991 250 on a P30 chassis. No problem sourcing P30 parts. The reality is that many of them can be ordered direct on Amazon. If not, Rockauto, Millsupply, eBay or a host of other suppliers still seem to hold a lot of stock. There is the odd thing e.g. I had a vacuum tube from the throttle body which I couldn't find. GMParts giant will usually give you the original part numbers and then eBay is your friend.
I'd like to be proved wrong, but please list any parts which are in short supply and I'll stock up before they run out

All the best
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
I have a fuel problem with my 1991 fuel injected 454
The pressure is only 3 pounds
I changed the only filter I could find which was ne’er the entry door

Any suggestions please
Old 03-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
We’re are you measuring the pressure? At the lines going into the throttle body? Is that filter a one way fit? I have a vague recollection that is was when I did mine. Fuel sender pump in tank might be culprit. If you get into that, scour the site at previous posts. I think it might be a ball ache to drop the tank