Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Air compressor blues

This is my first post, so I thought I would just get to it. I have a 1982 280mh. It is our baby, but the baby is a bit sick. It seems like the air compressor for the air bags has gone south. I know the bags are Firestone, but I am wondering if an Air Lift Level Command I would be a good replacement. I have also seen the Firestone compressors as well. I guess I would be more interested in the Air Lift because Camping World sells it.

Does anyone have a thought about compressor replacement?

Thanks,

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
_

. , .
hi steve......

there are a few threads here in the moho section on this issue...compressors, air bags, lines, leaks, repairs, replacement and so on....

the compressor isn't that hard to replace....and not too pricey

the bags last a long time.......but will deteriorate quicker flat.....at nearly 25 years....have yours ever been replaced?

so hook up an air source to the canister....and inflate'em....they like air.

a common problem on the older systems is leaking somewhere along the line...such that the compressor must cycle more to keep the bags up...also the canister can collect moisture and rust a leak...also the valve stem on the canister can crap out....

have you inspected the bags...flat and inflated?

if they look good.......i'd just replace the compressor and bird dog the lines for leaks....

since parts are available and many bits interchangeable....don't know if i'd opt for a completely new system....unless all the current bits are gone..

i'm sure the current moho guys will give better advice when they see your post....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Check recent threads on this same subject. Some have had air leaks due to the condensation in the small tank rusting it thru, and lose air in the lines to the bags. My bags are the same year as yours and still hold air well. I had to remove the compressor because of the leaks mentioned, and put in a schrader valve to inflate them myself. The compressors though are under $200, and the bags are available thru fleetpride. There is a whole lot of info on this site about this. Good luck with it.

also check these out-
http://motors.search.ebay.com/air-ri...r_W0QQfromZR40
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Hi Steve. I recentlly thought my compressor was dead but it turned out to be lthe pressure switch. My local hardware store stocked them. Replaced the switch and the compressor now works. Good luck...joe...
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
I replaced the old bags three years or so ago. I have the compressor in my hands, and it is forsure dead! The only place air bags last longer is in DC! As to the tank, it is still sound. I removed it and painted the thing. I have replaced valves in it before. This time with the crud out of the tank, it should last longer.

Thanks,

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Here's a thread with information about the compressors in these units:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ght=compressor

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote