Old 10-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1999 31' Land Yacht
Albany , Oregon
advice please - need a dehumidifyer

I am a new full time RV living on the Oregon Coast. Everyone in the park suggest a dehumidifier. But there is a whole different world regarding the machine. I have a 30 foot Land Yacht. Suggestions would so very helpful. Thank you = Shikiah

Shikiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The best dehumidifier is actually ventilation. If you can develop enough airflow to actually feel a breeze on your face inside the trailer, condensation is unlikely to be a problem.

There are two other options for dehumidifiers— electric and chemical.

Chemical dehumidifiers include tubs of a product called "Damp-Rid," available at Camping World, Amazon, and other places. This is an excellent option for storing your Airstream, since it needs no electricity and doesn't require open windows or roof vents to work. In fact, Damp-Rid works best when the trailer is closed up tight. And because it uses no electricity, it's also best for boondocking.

I carry a small electric dehumidifier for when I'm camping. The Gulf Coast is every bit as humid as your part of the world. I also used to have a slightly larger one for my apartment, until an ex-girlfriend decided I didn't need it and threw it away, darn it! This is the one I used for my apartment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It worked pretty well, and had a variable target humidity setting (I always set it on 20%, but it wouldn't get my metro New Orleans apartment below about 40% humidity on that setting, which is still pretty good considering the ambient air was typically over 80%). It's inexpensive enough that you could buy two for the price of one larger unit.

But you do need to check it periodically. Mine had a float switch to shut itself off when it got full, but usually I emptied the reservoir before it got full.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I bought this one

http://www.ourflyingcloud.com/2017/07/humidity.html

Which I must admit was a bit of overkill. But I don’t have a humidity problem anymore. I do have a new monthly electric bill problem though.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Fort Worth , Arkansas
Protagonist, congrats! Your profile shows this as your 10,000th post...in less than 6 yrs.

2017 25' Safari FB
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
Protagonist, congrats! Your profile shows this as your 10,000th post...in less than 6 yrs.
Actually, that 10,000th post was on a different thread just a few minutes ago. Every post any of us ever made— that hasn't been deleted by mods— shows our current post count.

But thank you kindly. There are 15 Forums members with more posts than me, and I have a loooong way to go to catch up to Overlander63's 20,135 posts. And m.hony is even more prolific than me, having made 11,690 posts in just 5 years. Just goes to show that I'm in illustrious company…

But to keep this post on-topic, allow me to offer this:
Old 10-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
brookhaven , Georgia
http://www.natlallergy.com/humidifiers/dehumidifiers

if you go the electric route, try to find one that produces the least amount of heat and noise. look also at energy consumption. also, how will you empty the water, bucket or drain hose?

i have a couple of santa fe models in my house, but i use a couple of eva dry models in my rv which is parked indoors. the eva dry units have a marginal effect.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Re the Eva Dry mentioned in the prior post. We use one with minimal affect on the humidity. The hygrometer doesn't show much improvement when the unit runs. However, it does put an inch to inch and a half of water in the collector over night, so it must be doing some good. This is in south Florida.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikiah View Post
I am a new full time RV living on the Oregon Coast. Everyone in the park suggest a dehumidifier. But there is a whole different world regarding the machine. I have a 30 foot Land Yacht. Suggestions would so very helpful. Thank you = Shikiah
We have traveled down the west coast twice in fall, from Vancouver Island south through Oregon. The humidity problem the first time was terrible particularly when the weather turned cold after a heavy rain near Bandon. The second time around we bought a compressor type dehumidifier and it worked beautifully. We bought the smallest we could find. An added benefit in these conditions is the dehumidifier acts as a heater.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1999 31' Land Yacht
Albany , Oregon
Looked into the Santa Fe. Impressive. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1999 31' Land Yacht
Albany , Oregon
Looks like you know what we are facing. We are doing a work/camper in Bandon. Plan on staying there this winter. What brand of dehumidifier did you use? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirEgger View Post
The hygrometer doesn't show much improvement when the unit runs. However, it does put an inch to inch and a half of water in the collector over night, so it must be doing some good. This is in south Florida.
One reason for the small amount of change in the hygrometer might be that you still have air exchange between inside and outside air. Another reason might be the water vapor that people put into the air by means of cooking, bathing, exhaling, etc. while living in their Airstreams or homes. The amount of water collected from the air— and the amount of water that doesn't appear as condensation on cold surfaces— is what tells the real tale, not the hygrometer.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you go the electrical route, a compressor based unit is going to do the best job. It also fills up a tank that needs to empty somewhere. If you are pulling out humidity that is measured in the pints per day range, this is probably what you need.

The chemical route has a couple of options. One is the Damp-rid mentioned above. It's calcium carbide. There are multiple places you can get the raw material. It tends to turn into a block or slush when exhausted. The other alternative is silica gel. It is a bit easier to renew in an oven. I don't believe it pulls out quite as much moisture as the calcium carbide.

There are a lot of little "rechargeable" units you plug in the wall. They are simply a chemical unit with a heater strip. You pay a lot for the convenience. There is not a lot of materiel in them. You can get a 5 or 10 pound pail for the same price as a plugin with 1/4 pound of material in it. Recharging a pail is just a matter of tossing the stuff in the oven overnight.

As noted above, you will quickly exhaust a chemical setup with any sort of airflow. They only make sense in a trailer or MH that is fully sealed up. They also aren't magic. You are not going to pull a gallon of water out with a 6 ounce bag or box of stuff ....

For reference, it is unlikely that a sealed trailer has more than a couple pints of water in the air. Wet towels or damp clothing are going to add to this. People living in the trailer will also add to this. If you are pulling pints per day out of an empty trailer, air or water is coming in from somewhere.

No perfect solution.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Rolla , Missouri
When I was stationed in South Korea, a very humid location, the locals used a basket of charred hard wood blocks to pull moisture from the air in their offices, worked great.
2000 F250 7.3L PSD
Home-N-Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home-N-Tow View Post
When I was stationed in South Korea, a very humid location, the locals used a basket of charred hard wood blocks to pull moisture from the air in their offices, worked great.
Bamboo charcoal. I've used that before, but I find that it tends to be kind of expensive here in the US. Possibly because we really can't make our own like the South Koreans do.
https://www.amazon.com/Ever-Bamboo-D...002RX80UU?th=1