Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Rohnert Park , California
A Pendleton Interstate?

I've been looking at the new, special edition Pendleton trailer and I love it! IS there anybody else who'd like to see a Pendleton Interstate?
http://www.airstream.com/pendleton/
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Not really. There's already the Grand Tour. Plus, I personally think Airstream should concentrate on getting the basics right on the Interstates before they go mucking about with Interstate special editions.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Agree with Protag as usual. They should focus on the Interstate's quality control; and then get more up to date with the technology - less dependence on shore power.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:24 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Rohnert Park , California
I agree with Protag and UK about quality control but I think that it would take a major cultural shift for them to overhaul the way that they build Interstates. From what I've been able to gather, Interstate sales are good so why worry about quality control?

I seem to remember GM saying the same thing in the 70s and 80s. GM was forced to learn that a lot of drivers care about quality control and would rather buy foreign cars that were more reliable. We, as consumers and potential consumers, can warn them that a similar tsunami is almost certain to come but it's up to them to change. All it would take would be for some of the Canadian motorhome builders to merge. Even if they just joined forces to forge a gigantic group buy with Mercedes or they merged their distribution channels, Airstream could be seriously affected.

I also think that Airstream is more likely to first "test the waters" for new ideas (like all-electric models, different color schemes or even strict quality control) on limited editions.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Road trek already has an all electric model, l believe.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Road trek already has an all electric model, l believe.

Yes they do. So does Advanced RV. Airstream would do well to join those offering better electrics with lithium batteries.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
From what I've been able to gather, Interstate sales are good so why worry about quality control?
How about taking pride in their work, as opposed to just taking pride in their paycheck?

The corporate mindset that "there's not enough time to do it right, but plenty of time to do it over under warranty" will one day topple Airstream from its place as the preeminent Sprinter van upfitter. Special editions may provide a boost in sales by generating more interest in a product that isn't otherwise keeping up with advancing competition, but if the basic product was improved, they wouldn't NEED special editions.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
I also think that Airstream is more likely to first "test the waters" for new ideas (like all-electric models, different color schemes or even strict quality control) on limited editions.

They did recently test the waters in the form of a survey they sent out to Interstate owners. A great opportunity to make our feelings felt; so perhaps they are finally coming to their senses!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote