Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #1

1992 34' Legacy 34
owosso , Michigan
'92 Legacy low voltage on a/c unit

I have a 92 legacy 34" , two roof airs, it has two ATS-30 generator lines
switches in the back. Recently using shore power I get a low voltage reading on the air conditioner, even with using only the extension cord supplied by AS. Using the generator I have no problem.
Can one of the ATS-30 units be defective. Also why are there two ATS- units.
ragnewrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I don't know much about the newer units but if the electrical system is anything like my 1984 310 then I can give you a general idea of how the ATS units are setup. Of course none of this will likely apply if you have a 50 amp service.

On our 310 one of the two ATS boxes is used to switch between shore power and generator power. If you're connected to shore power the ATS box routes power from the shore system to your main electrical circuit breaker panel. However if you happen to start your generator while still connected to shore power the ATS box waits for the generator to start producing the correct voltage (approximately 15 to 30 seconds) and then disconnects your coach from shore power and switches your electrical panel over to generator power. This effectively isolates the generator power from shore power. Trust me, you never want the two systems to be tied together at the same time

The generator our our 310 has to output feeds that provide roughly 25 to 30 amps each. One feed goes strictly to the second ATS that feeds the rear air conditioner and the other feed controls the rest of the coach.

When connected to shore power on our 310 you can only run one air conditioner which is controlled by a rotary switch in the kitchen area. However if we are on generator power we can set the rotary switch to front air conditioner which allows the front air conditioner to run. While on generator power the second ATS box switches the rear air conditioner feed line from the shore power circuit to the second power feed coming out of the generator. This allows us to run the second air conditioner.

This is a somewhat simplified version of how this works. Also as mentioned above this may not apply to your motorhome.

Now in answer to your low voltage question, my first guess would be you have a bad connection either at the plug end of the shore power cord or else in the box where the shore power cord connects in the coach. Check those connections closely and don't be surprised if you have to replace the male plug.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
If you have a voltmeter, then start at the plug and trace the voltage forward. Don't assume that the receptacle you're plugging into is not bad.

My 92 LY works the same way as bkahler described so I'd assume that yours does too.

If you don't have a voltmeter then get one... They're not that expensive and can save you from a lot of frustration in diagnosing electrical issues. I've seen decent digital voltmeters go for around $34.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #4

1992 34' Legacy 34
owosso , Michigan
Low voltage

thank you for the replies. Our 92 legacy is set up exactly as bkahler has described. I have already replaced the male plug connection, I will be checking the connection in the Motorhome. Has anyone had trouble with the
ATS-30 boxes being defective. Again thanks for the replies.
ragnewrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnewrr View Post
... Has anyone had trouble with the
ATS-30 boxes being defective. Again thanks for the replies.
Not sure what brand the two boxes are in our 1984 310 but they are still working just fine.

Of course now that I said that...

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
If you have a low voltage condition, it means that there's resistance in a connection. That also means that heat will develop in that connection - maybe a lot of heat.

It's really common for fires to start this way - I wouldn't recommend running it unless you're checking it out. Please don't run it while you're asleep or out of the unit.