Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Glasford , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
Arrow More of my thoughts...

Originally Posted by wvabeer View Post
I prefer Cooper for my car/truck. Which ones did you get?
Hmmmmm, drawing a blank here on the particular model number of them. I'm away for work or I would run out to check. They are a M/S tire. Not what I call an overly aggressive tread pattern, they do have the deepest tread I could get in that size and style and all I can recall is that they are the 245 width. It is certainly not a complaint but my observations are that they do indeed ride rougher than some others, they do have a bit of road noise but not overly bad, they are a bit taller than some others but if you do due diligence before the purchase, that should not be an issue. To be sure these are a truck tire but I knew that going in. Probably the biggest reasons I had for buying them was service (local shop) and price (far less expensive than Michelins or Goodyear) and don't quote me here but I think they are made in the US. Seems I recall that from when I bought them. Unsure about the last reason but the others are a certainty. Also since then I have been very pleased with the mileage from them. I've put about 10K miles on since installation and they look like new and I mean that. I am a stickler for maintenance, particularly my tires and they look great. I have no doubt that if have any issues, the dealer where I bought them will go the extra mile to make it right if it is indeed a tire problem. Can't beat buying locally.

Can't be late with an Eight....
Some other brand in the drive but wanting an AS
South West Asia Chicken Haulers Assoc.
blacktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #16
1985 31' Sovereign
1982 28' Airstream 280
san antonio , Texas
Originally Posted by gunner View Post
I changed to the 225/70R19.5 on my Classic Motorhome. They are 1" less in diameter than the original 8R19.5, since they are also wider I had to retain the original size on my tags due to insufficient clearance. This has not been a problem since it is only 1/2" difference in radius. My tire/alignment shop confirmed this being a non-issue.
I changed my wheels to 245/70 19.5 because 225/70 19.5 revs to high. I was wondering what you meant about clearance on your tags.

stephrnrvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:55 AM   #17
I'm in the , US
I received an email from a lurker who asked about converting from an 8R19.5 to a 225/70R19.5. Rather than answer this question again and again, I'm posting this as a resource. Would the moderator(s) please make this a sticky or whatever?

Here's the scoop:

1) If you have a 5.25" width rim, you can NOT make this exchange. The width ought to be stamped on the wheel somewhere and usually it is on the back side and written this way: 19.5 X 6.00RW (with the letters indicating the type of rim flange).

2) If the space between the rear tires (the duals!) is currently less than 1.7", you can NOT make this exchange. Please note that this is the result of adjusting for the width of the rims. My guess is that this is a deal breaker pretty much all the time. The fix would be to replace the wheels with something with a bigger offset.

3) You will need 0.3" more clearance. The problem here is that tires flex and suspension move. The worst condition is when the suspension is completely collapsed and the steering wheel is fully turned - and even then you have to account for tire distortion. I can't tell you how much as each situation is different - but if I had to guess, 0.3" isn't very much, so I think this is not much of an issue. But this ought to become part of your inspection procedure.

4) The diameter difference, will mean the vehicle will indicate a faster speed than it will be traveling. An indicated 60 mph is really 56 mph.

5) Choose the same Load Range and use 15 psi less.

Here's the backup info for the above:

An 8R19.5 has a diameter of 33.8", a width of 8.0" in a 6" rim, with an allowable rim rim of 5.25" to 6.75", needs a dual spacing of 9.1", and has a load carrying capacity of 3525# at 110 psi (Load Range F single).

A 225/70R19.5 has a diameter of 31.9", a width of 8.9" on a 6.75" rim, with an allowable rim width of 6" to 6.75", needs a dual spacing of at least 10.0" and has a load carrying capacity of 3640# at 95 psi (Load Range F single) and 3970# at 110 psi (load Range G single).

So there you have it.

CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #18
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
Originally Posted by stephrnrvt View Post
I changed my wheels to 245/70 19.5 because 225/70 19.5 revs to high. I was wondering what you meant about clearance on your tags.
If I would have changed to the 225/70 on the tags the clearance between the inner sidewall of the tire and the metal wheel well would be insufficient.

1984 Motorhome 345
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote