Old 05-04-2003, 10:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Unhappy '89 345 Limited Edition diesel puller

My eye has caught a 1989 A/S 345 Limited Edition diesel puller for 60K.

It's beautiful, but I don't know if the asking price is too high. I was told that this is the best one ever made of that era. Then why did they stop makin diesel pullers later?
Any opinions?

Also, do they have a MH forum by year and model at this site,like they do for trailers?

Old 05-05-2003, 06:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
There are some comments about that unit in another thread.

We are all partial to the Classics here and think they are the best ever made!

Most of them have the Chevy 454 engine. From time to time you will see variations like Isuzu diesel engines.

We do not have threads by year or model.

Enjoy your search and feel free to browse my motorhome archives site. I hope it helps!

ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
If you run comparisons on pricing for the year and model, and then add for the engine and whatever low miles or unusaul features it has you can get a good idea of tru market value.
Yes 60 sounds a bit high, but then look at the Henshall's 345 which is highly appointed and maintained and in that same range price wise.

Its like any other vehicle of some rarity, the price ranges are wide depending on a variety of factors including demand at the top of the list.
I would add that diesel maintenance will be significantly higher.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
You also might want to check this one. I don't know anything but what is posted there, but quite a bit cheaper and worth a look for comparison.

John
Old 05-05-2003, 09:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Thanks all!

Fred: I've visited your website and it was really helpful in getting ideas about different models and price categories.

Alan: That '90 345 LE beauty you mentioned...someone put a deposit on it! Willy and I have emailed each other. I live only an hour away from him too! Maybe later?

But then....John: That '85 Classic looks darn good! But it has those roll up cabinets (beggars can't be choosy?) I heard that we need deep pockets for any fixing that may need to be done. It's in Iowa...rust???
I think I'm looking for the one that I don't need to do much with, like that "90 345 LE. (gas mileage is only 5 - 7 mpg!!!) Yikes!
Your Argosy looks nice though...you sellin? LOL I'll keep looking for now. I love the face of these 345's though. Thanks again everyone. Hope to keep up a rapor with everyone. This is the best thing since my kids got me on multiplayer PC games!

Carlos, aka...
Old 05-05-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Re: Roll up cabinets (My two cents)

1) I think they are lighter than the wood ones

2) They take up less room and give mine the 'airliner look'. Our favorite line is 'be careful when opening overhead bins, contents may have shifted during travel!'

3) They are brighter. I like bright open spaces. All the ones with wood cabinets look darker.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Hi Fred,
Yeah, and they can alsp be painted if needed. I wonder if a stewardess can come with one of those? ( sorry, I'm divorced)

Alrighty then, I still think that that diesel puller in Houston is nice, but Dennis has driven it and says it's LOUD. I can't take alot of noise on a trip.

Fred, I like your model and year charts.

Carlos
Old 05-05-2003, 11:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
My DW (dear wife) gets motion sick so she is usually sitting down. I do have two boys that are more than capable of getting me a ice cold root-brewskie from the fridge.

Of course they only hop up when we are on the right roads. We have been working on communications so I know when they are up and about. We try to stay seated as much as possible. Usually while in town we have a lock down except when stopped at lights. I usually holler out a warning when I see lights changing.

Maybe I should get a 'seat belt' sign from an old airliner. 'The captain has turned on the seat belt light.....'
Old 05-05-2003, 01:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
William Henshall put this up a week or so ago. If nothing else goo to his site and look at the pictures, it is unbelievable condition.

John
Old 05-05-2003, 03:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Thanks John,
Someone already put a deposit on it!!!
She's a beauty alright.

Carlos
Old 05-05-2003, 03:32 PM   #11
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
'That '85 Classic looks darn good! But it has those roll up cabinets (beggars can't be choosy?) I heard that we need deep pockets for any fixing that may need to be done. It's in Iowa...rust???"

I agree with Fred... The tambour overheads are lighter and give a sense of openness...

Regarding the rust issues: Rust generally is caused by an oxident (salt) being applied to uncoated metal (splashing up from the road etc.) In the midwest, salt is applied to the roads only in the winter. It washes off with the snowmelt and in the spring rains. In the Midwest, motorhomes typically don't get driven in the snow; in fact, most of them here are stored inside all winter long. Therefore, they typically don't show rust like a car would that is driven all year because they're just not exposed to the corrosives.

However, it has been my experience that cars, motorhomes, and trailers stored outside along the Gulf Coast, East Coast and West Coast that are within a few miles of the ocean are subjected to salt air all year 'round and can be a real rustbucket under the aluminum as the climate is temperate and they may never be stored inside. In the desert, things don't rust but the sun bleaches, rots and dries fabrics, rubber seals, weatherstripping, and even VULKEM after a while. These problems can be just as insidious as rust. This issue is further compounded by the ease in which Airstreams circulate around the country with age, so unless you're looking at a coach that is being sold by the original owner, it is sometimes impossible to guess where a coach was originally used and how.

I guess the bottom line is that you have to examine each coach on its own merits. It isn't prudent to make assumptions about it based on location alone. The best case would be that you pass up a marvelous opportunity. The worst case would be that you buy a rust bucket in a dry region!
Old 05-05-2003, 04:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I'll have to second the above post.

I spent two years in Iowa (97-99). The fairgrounds in Des Moines had a huge building where boats and RV's were stored. Each October there was a long parade of folks paying a very reasonable charge for storing their loved one inside for the winter. Of course the scene reversed itself in the spring as everyone retrieved their boat or RV.

Interesting place that Iowa! The perception of Iowa is very different than the reality! Is this heaven?....

Make sure to hit the Iowa Machine Shed Restaurant while your there! I've only seen one person finish their meal AND the dessert! YUMMY!
Old 06-18-2003, 06:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Austin , Texas
Talking 1990 345 LE

Hello ! David here, I wanted to introduce myself. I purchased William Henshall's SUPERB 1990 345 LE in June and it now resides in Austin, Texas. We had great trip back from San Francisco and look forward to future adventures. I am relatively new to ownership and am very pleased to have this forum to consult. Thanks.
David
Old 06-18-2003, 06:33 PM   #14
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Thumbs up congrats!

Welcome to the forums, David! It's a great place. Congrats on your new MH. You should be very pleased. It was very nice and it looked like the former owners took great care of it.

I recently sold my 325 and returned to the world of towing, but the MH world has some really neat benefits as well.

The motorhome folks here can help with just about anything you may encounter.

Roger