Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2003, 02:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question '86 345 AS MH Drain Valves

In my 86 345 MH, the drain valves are a 90 deg. angle type of valve, grey plastic (water lines are also a grey plastic) that will turn in any direction without coming to a stop. Does anyone know how these are suppose to work? Do you just turn the valve handle 90 deg. for close and handle in line for open? Do they drain to the grey water tank? Most valves that I am familiar with have stops for open or closed. Thanks for any help. Jim
Old 12-06-2003, 03:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Those are the valves used in the infamous polybutylene plumbing. As I recall, you lift up, then turn.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Drain Valves

The valves located in the curbside rear corner do not drain the Gray Water tank. The only drain for the gray water is the main sewer drain.

With the MH's it's easy to facilitate draining. Lower the Curb Rear corner (raise the Driver Front with the Leveling System) for potable water system, lower the driver rear to minimize water in the gray and black water tanks.

BTW, there are low spots everywhere (even in the potable water tank), so a total drain is very difficult.

Other threads cover purging lines with air and placement of anti-freeze.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Mark,
If you recall, after pulling up on valve handles, do they then come to a stop or do they continue to turn but open and close?

I assumed that drain valves drained to the grey water tank not drain the grey water tank.

Thanks for the replies. Jim
Old 12-06-2003, 04:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Re: 86 345 AS MH Drain Valves

Originally posted by Jim Tyrney

Quote:
In my 86 345 MH, the drain valves are a 90 deg. angle type of valve, grey plastic (water lines are also a grey plastic) that will turn in any direction without coming to a stop.
Same on my 86 345 MH.

Quote:
Does anyone know how these are suppose to work? Do you just turn the valve handle 90 deg. for close and handle in line for open?
To open: pull handle up slightly until you hear/feel a click, then rotate counterclockwise about 4 turns (you will see threads on the valve stem appear).

To close: push handle down slightly until you hear/feel a click, then rotate clockwise about 4 turns (the threads on the valve stem will disappear).

I usually give them a few extra turns in either direction for comfort, can't hurt.

Quote:
Do they drain to the grey water tank?
They drain out under the MH directly below where the valve is located. You should have 4 valves for the hot, cold, city and tank water lines.

Quote:
Most valves that I am familiar with have stops for open or closed.
These are indeed different, never had one apart so can't say I understand how they work either, they just do.

Quote:
Thanks for any help.
Hope this does.

Regards,
Jeff
jthew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Jim

Sorry, misread your first post.

At the curbside rear, underneath, you will see the pigtails of the drain valves penetrating the coach floor. The one penetration without a valve is the overflow/vent line from the top of the potable tank.

Mud daubers and other such pests love those lines.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 12-06-2003, 04:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks!! I thought I was going nuts when I would turn every drain valve and they just kept turning. Slowly but surely, I'm learning. Now I know. Thanks again. Jim
Old 12-06-2003, 05:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Confused

Originally posted by 87MH

Quote:
At the curbside rear, underneath, you will see the pigtails of the drain valves penetrating the coach floor. The one penetration without a valve is the overflow/vent line from the top of the potable tank.
Dennis:

I'm confused. All your references to curb side/drivers side in this thread seem to be just the opposite in my 86 345. I.e., all the water drain valves are on the drivers (left) side. The overflow/vent line runs parallel with the fill line and daylights under the fill port access cover. Was this changed in the 87 models or do you possibly have a different rear configuration?

Quote:
Mud daubers and other such pests love those lines.
Yep, they like the A/C drain lines which exit underneath the coach, too.

Regards,
Jeff

Ooooh, I get it now after looking closely at your avatar, the left side of your coach is parked next to the curb. That explains it all, we call it the drivers side in the other 49 States No flaming, please
Old 12-06-2003, 06:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
......the left side of your coach is parked next to the curb.

Or, I've been driving it in the U.K.

My bedroom is an island queen design.

I've inspected an '88 and also an '89 (also island queens).

The plumbing on them was identical to mine.

What type of bedroom layout is in your '86?

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 12-06-2003, 06:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Corrected

Originally posted by 87MH

Quote:
Or, I've been driving it in the U.K.
Spent 4 years there in the US Navy, brought home a Scottish Lassie as a souvenir 34 years ago. Go back to visit relatives on occasion, get in a rental car on the "drivers side" and wonder where the steering wheel went.

Quote:
My bedroom is an island queen design.
Oh man, that's sweet, wish we had one.

Quote:
What type of bedroom layout is in your '86?
Double bed on the drivers side and cabinets on the curb side (or is that the other way around)?

Guess that explains the difference in the plumbing.

Happy Holidays,
Jeff
Old 12-06-2003, 09:17 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Pflugerville , Texas
A picture is worth a few words.

I'm also a bit confused. Found these instructions on the handle only after taking a close up picture. I'm still not sure how to tell when the valve is fully open. Does the stem come out of the valve if you turn it too far? Is there a stop?
Regards
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	watervalve.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	4041  
Old 12-06-2003, 09:20 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

pull valve out and turn counter clockwise 4 or 5 turns to open, reverse order to close on most .
TexasStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 09:28 PM   #13
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
They are fully open when they stop threading out. Seems as if there is a T in there which prevents them from coming all the way our once you back the threads out completely. Then you need to "pop" them back down catch a thread so you can tighten and close the valve.

Also...if you are doing this for winterization don't forget the water filter in the closet.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote