Old 11-14-2003, 10:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
8 x 19.5 MH tires smooth or treaded?

My MH has tires that have 4 grooves in them, still pretty deep, but no other tread! They are as smooth as a baby's butt. I was wondering if this is normal for these type of RV tires. They are a combo of Michelins and Bridgestones (up front). I saw a tv program where there is all kinds of tread all over the big rig tires on the show, and I want some before my trip next week. Mine say "regroovable" on them...that scares me.

Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 07:38 AM   #2
Site Team
, Minnesota
regroovealbe tire

Regrooved tires are only used on trailers, never on a steer axle. They may start out on the steer axle, then get moved further back as they wear out. Quite often they will be placed on a tag or pusher axle.
These are only interesting if you are the fleet manager of a large fleet of trucks and want to minimize tire costs.
You can regroove your tires with a plunge router but it is not recommended.

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 08:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master
LOST , Hawaii
This is how the Bandag tire guy explained it to me- tires like you have are good for long distance OTR applications. They aren't as good in the rain or snow because there is nowhere for the water or slop to go so they hydroplane easier. OTOH they last longer because the tread doesn't move around the way it does when it is in smaller sections and they run cooler, same reason.

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 08:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Smooth as a Baby's Butt

I purchased a couple of Michelins a short while ago, and they are as you described.

I think itís important to remember that these vehicles cannot be compared to autos, and much greater care needs to be taken as far as the conditions we drive them in.

If the weather is bad, pull over and wait it out. Thatís the safe thing to do.

One other factor with our rigs, the time expiry of the construction normally occurs prior to the wear out of the tread. Itís important to be cognizant of the build dates of all of the tires, and replace them prior to catastrophic failure. My personal tire life limit is 5 years.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote