Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2004, 12:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

370 classic

HI FOLKS! Can you help me with some basic history of the 370? I love my 1989 and I am not sure that there are other model years available? I am also interested in purchasing a rear bumper for my coach. Thanks and I am pumped-up for this season. See you on the road!

p.s. Are there any rallies around KY this spring or summer?

Chiropup
chiropup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 12:26 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Chiropup,
Welcome to the forums! Its nice to see another KY motorhome owner out there. I have a 345 and live in Louisville. There is also another member with a 310 in Clarksville, IN.

You can find some good information about all of the classic motorhomes on Fred's Airstream Website. or by searching for 370 in the forum.

I'm not aware of any KY events coming up but there is talk of an Atlanta get together in April.

PM me your info and maybe we could get our KY Airstream Motorhomes together.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 03:40 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

steven , thanks for your reply. I am interested in learning things about these beauties. I am excited about any info that I can gather. According to the link you sent me to, there were only 15 of these models were made? Also I was amused at the comments along with it. I must have one of the best ones out there because it runs like a gem. The previous owner installed a banks system and other important options such as auxillary colling fans and other neat things. One thing that really bugs me is how loud and hot it is in the cockpit area, any suggestions?

chiropup
Old 01-11-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
When I redid my carpet I added a layer of heavy carpet pad on the inside and a double layer of sound and heat padding under the doghouse. It is now cool and quiet. It may be that the OEM stuff was loose and the PO removed it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 06:28 PM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
It should not be loud and hot if everything is working correctly. Check to make sure the doghouse is properly installed.

What kind of noise is it? Engine, wind, whirring, etc?

Also on the heat....check your heater controls. Not sure if they changed by 89 but in my 86 they were frozen "On" which made for a very hot summer trip once.

Love to know more about your "rare" 370. Maybe you could post some pictures for us?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 06:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I would check the vent flap for the heater to see if it is always open.
My 82 got a lot of heat through the heater core even when the heat was off. I bypassed it, but this is only recommended if you will not need the heater. I have been using my roof a/c heat strip which works well for the limited cold weather travel in it that we do.

I also reinsulated the "doghouse" which helped.

You can also wrap your exhaust manifolds which stops or slows down some of the heat leakage from them into the engine, and then drivers area.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 06:52 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

thanks for all the response ! I can try all of thede ideas and let you how it feels. the noise is not a whining but more of a roar from tne normal engine sounds. i did take off the doghouse and noticed the insulation was shaggy and torn. I'm sure that it is a problem that could be easy to remedy. I need a back bumper while we are chatting.

chiroup
Old 01-11-2004, 07:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Chiropup,

The motorhome site is mine. I am delighted that you enjoy your 370! I have very little information on those units. The little I have heard was not good but they were rumors. We did have one Forums member that never could get hers working right but that can happen with any unit. That does not mean they are not good units.

I would welcome more information on the 370 for my site and will correct any pages that might be misleading or incorrect.

With you having 1 of 15, I'd say you have a rare bird! I did see a picture of a one with blue/grey lower paint and blue awnings. NICE LOOKING!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote