Old 07-24-2003, 08:44 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
30amp to 50amp?

Some time back I saw an Forum on how to Rewire 30amp to 50amp in your 1982 31' classic MH. I been looking but I can't find it, I'm looking in the wrong place I think. Can some one help Me out? If someone has all the paper works & potos I like to know if you send it to me.

Old 07-25-2003, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Proceed with caution!

If your MH is equipped with a retractable electric cable, the rotating contacts still limit the circuit to one 110 volt 30 amp circuit.

To overcome my particular problem, I plan to install a separate 20 amp circuit (110v.) to power an air conditioner in addition to the one (1) allowed by the 30 amp circuit limitation.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 03:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
What is your goal?

If it is to run both AC's at a campground, I suggest modifying the electric. The second AC is wired to the gen set. The wire can be cut and a heavy duty 110 plug added. You can then plug the second air into the campgrounds 20 amp outlet. I have not done this yet but I plan on have Walt's RV in Ocala, FL do the work. He has do it for other units with two roof airs. Most campgrounds have a 30 amp and a 20 amp circuit. The newer ones have a 50, 30, and 20.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
One Caveat:
Be careful if the pole only has a 30 amp breaker but a 20 and 30 amp outlet. You will not have the benifit of 50 amps and could kill your AC.

Fred,

Have you considered just adding a 50 amp cord to the genset feed with a power transfer switch. This would allow direct 50 amp connection, And if you get the dogbone you can do the same thing without having to run 2 cords. You would only need to carry a 50 amp extension cord. Of course you have tons of storage space in your bins for 2 extension cords right?

I would think that with the genset feed wired to a shore source and the shore power plugged in, the transfer switch that is currently in place is going to activate and try to draw ALL the power thru the input from the genset. It may be a case where the input is wired past the transfer switch into the coach, but I would check.

Just trying to confuse the issue
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 07:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
More Confusion

Re....Caveat

I agree with the potential limitation brought on by the possibillity of only one circuit (20 amp and 30 amp feed on same leg with shared breaker) at any given campground. One could always cross check for a possible 220, but again there could be two separate and protected circuits off of the same leg.

One sure way to avoid this is to bring a 50 amp (220 volt) adapter and have one leg of the 220 hookup dedicated to the 30 amp plug, and the other to the 20 amp dedicated AC.........then again the problem arises with the 20 amp circuit being protected by a (?) 30 amp fuse....ain't nothing stays simple.

Since the second AC requires being run so seldom (but a definite requirement if AB is along here in a Texas summer camp), I prefer to stick with the ease of the retractable power cord, and only mess with the second circuit when necessary. I agree the easiest way is to hook it up is by incorporating the Genset interface, just have to remember not to cross connect at the main selector switch.

My particular interest in this hookup is because I have mounted a rollabout portable AC unit in the MH, and run that unit when the unit is parked here at the house to maintain a reasonable interior temperature and humidity. Everything degrades quickly in this miserable Houston summertime weather.

I prefer not to have the main circuit hooked up all of the time, so the rollaround was a perfect solution for me. I hooked up a 4" air vent that is permanently mounted, and terminates under the chassis, the flexible air discharge hose stows under the couch when not in use. A water drain is selectively installed (also under the couch), with disconnect valves hooked to the front overhead air conditioner water drain. All I have to do is open the front under couch storage compartment (interior), and slip in the connections to the air vent and water discharge lines, plug in the accessory 110 volt line (dedicated to the portable AC unit only), and the MH will maintain a reasonable interior temperature. This way I don't have to worry about any MH accessory circuit being left on. I'm pretty paranoid about potential fires caused by 20 plus year old wiring, charging, and monitoring circuits when the main electric feed is left on all of the time. There are times that work takes me away from the house for a period of time, and since the "univolt" cannot be switched off, there's a lot more peace of mind on my part when only this separate AC circuit is left on in in the MH.

There are lots of ways to attack the AC requirements here in the deep south, and this has worked (so far) for me.

I still have not installed a selective switch for the front AC to use two overhead units while camping, but that is the next project, after I finish the Motor Home port (car port on steroids) here at the house.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 07-25-2003, 09:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i did the two power cords and if you get a 30 amp power pole you have 30 amps . cant run both ac at the same time. but if you get a fifty amp pole you can run both. most fiftys have a thirty amp plug a fifty and a twenty. was in nashville and tryed the two coards worked for about ten minutes, and then we got hot waiting for the 30 amp circuit breaker to be reset.
had planned to install two of the power saver ac and they would only pull 10 amps apiece and twenty total. but as we found out drip pans are not available. end of story.
now we use the second cord to power the rear ac at night, when we are in the rear of the coach. front ac is shut down. that is how we are using the power modification. lol
al
Old 07-26-2003, 11:31 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
Thanks. I'm going the way you said. The two cord is the right way to do it.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I kinda like Brett's idea of inputing 50 amps at the gen set feed. The rear AC is automatic with the gen set on which I think is 45 amps. What's the possibility of overload? That is 5 more amps going into the unit. That would put 30 amps to the MH and 20 to the rear AC.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
ac is only 16 amps or less gen set has 30 amp and twenty amp breakers a onan 6.5 puts out 54 amps i think but it is more than 50 for sure and if you have a 7.0 not a problem. was at the tennessee airstream rv park and both cords would work on the power pole. but didnt need but one and that was a bit chilly. some times it works and sometimes it dont. but it will give you some flexibility on ac use. lol
al
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
went back a read bretts post. you will have to install a new transfer relay to hook the genset up in the fifty amp config. as only the 30 amp leg goes to the switch over relay.
the relay for 50 amps is $90 to$150 depending on where you buy and then you will need a 50 amp cord and that could be another $120 to 175 .
one used 30 amp cord and one 30 male plug and one female plug and walla i got what i use. $ 20 . $50 if i bought a new cord. verses $200 $325 still like bretts idea???
plus when i pull into these like to get your money rv parks that charge extra for fifty amp service i only need a thirty amp hookup.
and when i get to the site and it has a fifty amp pole if i want to run the rear ac i can. lol
al
Old 08-13-2003, 08:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
50 Amp

Fred:

Caution here: A '50 amp" connection is actually 2 separate 110 volt legs, with two"joined" circuit breakers set up to simultaneously"fail" when overloaded.

Also, hooking into the generator circuits at the generator box could cause problems due to the fact that the generator/shore power auto isolator switch is not mounted in the area of the generator, but under the bed (at least on mine).

Actually, with the 345's, we have a really simple solution to hook up shore power to both AC's at the same time.

Mounted on the cabin side of the generator are two boxes, one is a switch box, and the other contains a relay. These two boxes control the power to the rear AC on a separate circuit from the main switchbox when the generator is running. In addition, the relay is a "two way" relay, allowing power to be fed to the rear AC from the main selector switch when on shore power, and when the generator is activated, the relay deactivates the "main switch" power to the rear AC and allows the "Generator Circuit #2" to power the rear AC, and the rear AC only.

Since this relay is accessable, already feeds to the rear AC, and is isolated from the rest of the circuits, it makes a lot of sense to utilize this relay as a junction box for a separate shore power feed.

I have already purchased a double pole double throw toggle switch, and think it will make for a very simple hookup.

I intend to install the DPDT toggle downstream of the relay, just before the line leaves the box going to the rear AC. In one position, the DPDT switch will direct power from the #2 Shore Power line to the AC, in the other, it will direct power from the existing relay output to the rear AC (i.e. exactly as it is hooked up now).

The great thing about this hookup is that there is no way for the #2 Shore Power line to back feed into any other circuit, because when the DPDT is activated to the Shore Power #2 line, all of the other circuits are isolated. When the #2 Shore Power line is not required, simply throw the toggle switch to the other direction, and the existing relay feeds into it, feeding the rear AC as it does now.

No wires to fish, plenty of room in the relay box to install the toggle switch, and the generator access and box make for a convenient area to install the #2 Shore Power feed hookup. I have also purchased a "hidden" male double prong 120 volt box to accept the female end of an extension cord.

I'll try to remember to take some pics when I install the toggle switch and the male prong box.

PM or call if you want to discuss other options. I'd appreciate if you would let me know if you have figured out a better way, I've given a lot of thought to this. I really wanted to put the front AC on the separate circuit, but the simplctiy and convenience of tapping into the rear AC relay box under the rear facing dinette seat makes it a no brainer for me.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 08-14-2003, 09:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
well you do have the trash airstream installed in the 345 but that can be by passed . coming off the gen set is four wires on my unit (6.5/onan) this is connected to a slpice breaker box. from the splice box three wires go to the switch over relay and three wires go to the rear ac circuit. the ground and neutral is common on both circuits. the gen set supplys a 30 amp and a 20 amp hot lead.
if the circuit for the ac is interupted before the twenty amp circuit breaker under the rear bed and a female plug is installed to the breaker box and a male on the ac cord. you can isolate the power by disconnecting the plugs. to get shore power to the ac . this is where the old or new cord i mentioned comes in .female plug under the bed and the rest of the cord pulled in and coiled in the rear drivers side compartment. or pluged up to a power pole..
you eliminate the switches and that rats nest in the switch panel.
no way can you get the power mixed and blow anything up.
this is a no brainer to install and you are not inserting any thing that will go bad and give you fitts to fix, this works or it dont work and not hard to figure out what is bad.. cant plug up anything that will blow your wallet.
i had a offer to buy a 345 at a good price and i passed i looked at the wiring and the switches and passed. it is not easy to pull new wire in one of these beast. they werent made to modify.
i gave a lot of thought to this when i did mine . in fact i bought a 50 amp switch over relay and was going to go the 50 amp service route. when i took it back the rv supply shop didnt want to give me my money back..i took a trip and looked for 50 amp service and there is more 30 amp service avail and 20 amp. my question is what do you do with the fifty amp plug .if if you dont have the correct adapter your choice is generator at wally world. it is your unit im about to get tired of working on mine. lol
al
Old 08-14-2003, 03:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
50 amp adapter

I have constructed a short 50 amp dogbone, male 50 amp on one end, one 30 amp female for the reel connecter on one of the 220 volt legs, and one 20 amp 110 volt female connecter on the other leg. This assures separate circuits for the relatively few times I will need to run both of the units on shore power. If 50 amp service is unavailable, I still have the capability of hooking up to two circuits (if available) by utilizing the house reel to the 30 amp service, and a separate extension cord from the rear AC hookup point to a 110 volt circuit.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 08-14-2003, 06:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i pass