Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2003, 04:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
3 Vixen MHs

I saw three Vixen RV's boondocking at our local Flying J. I wonder what the odds of that happening are? They had to be traveling together. Pretty unique!

http://moneycentral.communities.msn.com/VIXENRVs

As usual, no Airstream MH's spotted and unusually few Airstream trailers.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thought I hadn't seen these before, but then I remembered seeing a BMW powered motorhome for sale, one of these. The BMW turbo diesel if is the same engine thatwas in the 7 series, must be a nightmare to repair in theis country. I see they also made a gm 6 cylinder version.

Reminds me of seeing three of those Corvair powered motorhomes up in Helen, GA. My whole family did a double take on those.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Those were built about 15 miles from me. The factory is now a warehouse for ABC Appliance. The BMW diesels were a manual transmission, the gas were automatics, the only 2 drive train choices.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
So the Vixen was made in the USA? They look like they came from across the pond, awfully Renault-like. If the Pink Panther or Peter sellers ever had a Mh it would probably look like a Vixen. I saw another strange Mh some time ago. It looked like one of those Chevy Lumina APV vans but on steroids. Probably a late 80's or early 90's model. Painted all black and had a big block 454 which sat facing rearward in the back end. It fed the differential which was also turned backwards and had a hidden set of tag wheels behind the drive axle. Very cool and mysterious!! Any ideas what it was?

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:02 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Chas,

maybe it was this one?:

http://www.special-interest-veh.com/

In any case very interesting projects - slightly dated interiors though.
memartinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 05:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
They look very silmilar but the one I saw had the tag axle inset and hidden behind panels and those grass skirts like you see on UPS trailers.

(BTW, the one with the powerstroke really caught my attention)

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote