Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
downey , California
2004 Land Yacht motor home headliner falling down

The headliner over driver area has come un glued and droops down. What can I use to firmly re glue :ziplock" like strip to ceiling?
cfanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Don't use the two-sided, super sticky, automotive tape. Ours came loose & "I fixed it myself" with that type of tape. As soon as it warmed up, the tape failed. This is how it was later fixed at the RV shop. The "ziplock" strip is a 2 piece fastener. The inside (hidden) piece was reattached with screws. The lower piece, the part that shows, is then tapped into the hidden strip with a rubber mallet. Referring to the strip as "ziplock like" is very accurate. The service tech that fixed ours (correctly) mentioned that it would have been an easy repair if someone hadn't put that sticky tape on the strip.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

downey , California
Droopy Headliner on Airstream RV Motorhome

Thanks for the comeback. I now need to double check to see exactly what is above, hoping that there is some beam or strut to screw into. I can imagine a series of screw holes in the roof!!! Maybe I can get a close up photo of the situation and post it. Fingers crossed... Chuck
Old 08-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Rockford , Michigan
No screws through the roof! If yours is the same as ours, there is wood under the ceiling material & that is attached to metal brackets (or supports). Also, some air space above that. We were concerned with all the wiring that ran near the seam. Didn't want to puncture a wire….thus the 1st attempt... tape repair.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
Each ceiling panel is made of 1/8" Luan and there is then the ceiling headliner glued to it. The headliner is part foam padding and then the vinyl. The entire piece is held in place by the 1-2"wide slightly curved plastic pieces that snap into a mounting piece that is screwed into the aluminum frame that supports the roof. Be careful, don't screw these up. If your headliner Luan base has rotted due to water, it is a more difficult fix, but not impossible. Do not put any screws threw the headliner. Use 3m spray adhesive that you can buy at a craft store or lowes etc. It is stronger than the headliner adhesive you would buy at an automat store. If you are handy, carefully remove the Luan from the ceiling and then take the headliner off the Luan and re glue the entire piece or just the area that needs gluing. The 2 side assemblies above the door and the window can be disassembled easy enough, then reinstalled upon completion. This is not a difficult fix if you think it through, read what others have done and learn from their successes and failures. I had to buy new Luan, was able to salvage headliner from old one that rotted away because I failed to properly identify area of leak in my coach. Had to manufacture from oak new trim to support headliner that I repaired. Was scared to death I had really blown it and coach may have needed very costly repairs, but I am pretty handy and enjoy woodworking and created a very professional fix. I was very lucky. Best of luck yo you on this repair
normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
The entire assembly is held in place by its size and is wedged in above the cabinets above front windshield and then the plastic divider. The two side assemblies give support on the sides and there s 4inches of space above the entire assembly
normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Rockford , Michigan
normandgrace, your fix sounds like you had a much bigger issue than we did. The OP mentioned the ziplock strip coming loose. That's what happened to us. The foamy vinyl didn't separate from the wood. Once the strip was secured (from the inside), the ceiling could be snapped back in place. No screws are visible, as they're under the plastic strip.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

downey , California
Hi.. How nice to get detailed replies. I took some pics of the dangling headliner but I don't know how to put them in the post here. They are difficult to understand what you are looking at unless you are intimately familiar with the stuff under the liner.
I did find that there is a "fiberglass beam" right in front of the top inside zip lock strip. The strip had been glued just behind the beam just at the edge of the plywood panel. The liner with the foam seems intact and will stay in place if I can get the upper ziplock strip firmly reattached. It looks like I will be using some modern glue after cleaning the surfaces thoroughly. There's not much room to work inside of the dangling headliner and strips. Thanks Everyone. So long for now.
Chuck