Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2004, 09:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 Motorhome Problems

We have been Airstream people since 1972 when we purchased our first trailer, but I am giving up on the new Airstream Motorhomes. We traded our 25ft. 2000 Excella on a new 26ft. 2003 Airstream Landyacht motorhome last October, and have had nothing but problems with it. It has been in the shop for repairs more days than we have had it for our use, and that is no exaggeration. Since last October 13, the dealer has had it for some two weeks longer than we have had it. It is back in the shop now for continuing efforts to find and stop a leak in the rear end.

My greatest dissappointment has been Airstream's response. They say on their web site that they want to hear from their customers, but Dickey Riegel, President of Airstream, will not take my telephone calls and has not returned telephone calls, even when I have left the request on his personal voice mail.

We are reluctantly trading in this coach, after only 5 months, on a motorhome from a different manufacturer. We loved our Airstream trailers, but my conclusion is that Airstream doesn't really care much about their motorhomes and their quality standards for the motorhomes are not what they are for the trailers.

This information is offered simply as my reflection from my personal experience with the one motorhome. I hope it is an exception rather than the rule, but I would suggest a long consideration before switching from an Airstream trailer to one of the new Airstream motorhomes.
Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 11:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i have an older unit and i am considering an allegro phaeton that bankston has on special in the 120s . was going to visit the dealer last week didnt make it. maybe next week.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 03:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

This may explain why we see so few postings from late model Airstream motorhome owners.

I have long been against the very concept of a motorhome on principal - the principal being that a motorhome has all the things that can go wrong with a house, all the things that can go wrong with a truck, and a few things that can go wrong that neither a truck or a house have!

I'm speaking for myself, of course. I know a lot of people are very attached to their motorhome.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Marks, We feel your pain.

We had 1999 Airstream Cutter Diesel 35ft single slide for only 11 1/2 months. We purchased it new to stay product loyal on December 1999. We traded Coach #710622 in on a another motorhome made in Oregon fall of 2000.
The Cutter Aristream was only driven 13,000 miles, total. It spent 7 months of our 11 month ownership either at our dealer, Freightliner, or Airstream-Jackson Center.
The coach was falling apart, in that the frame members that cantilevered the engine over the rear axle were cracking. The slide room rollers bounced over bolt heads as it travelled. The entry door squawked and squealed when closed while travelling.
We had the infamous water tank sag even before NHTSA made Airstream do a re-call. The story goes on......................
We re-positioned the drivers chair so it was square with steering wheel. The furnace ductwork for the water tanks was crushed and didn't provide any tank heating.
We even had a face to face visit with then Airstream Pres. Larry Huddle, May 2000, to voice concerns over Airstreams' quality control, or lack of.
In the end, we have been very happy with our current choice. We obviously have another airstream,,,,,,a Globetrotter, so when our SOB motorhome is not appropriate, we take our vintage rig .
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 07:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
We're so sorry to hear your terminal problems with Airstream M/H's.
We are very recent owners of a 2004 Safari. We have had some 'infancy' problems that were addressed locally, but I'm afraid we'll be taking the unit to Jackson Center for a better 'going over'. It is a shame that after only 2 nights use, the most expensive trailer in it's size needs 2 weeks of time in a service center! So far the excitement of owing an Airstream has been tempered by less than acceptable initial quality.
We are not giving up yet and are still confident A/S will stand by it's product & 'do the right thing'. To be continued...
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Haven't had that much trouble with the Airstream part of our 1997 Land Yacht motorhome, but the Chevy chassis could be better. The P-30 wanders a lot. Had to add airbags to the rear and replace those up front. Also added Super-Steer. A buyer should expect a motorhome that is safe and confortable to drive without having to add all these aftermarket things. The W-22 chassis with wider front wheel track is better, I understand.

Handydan
1997 Land Yacht 30
dsandrews2@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 06:59 PM   #7
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
My pop just bought a 2004 30' without slides in May. It's been back to the factory for a few repairs once. All cosmetic problems which were corrected very nicely. So far he's had no other problems and loves the unit. First mod he's doing is bilsteins.

I think I'll stick with my time tested classic 28' '81 motorhome. No overdrive but it's light and a workhorse to boot.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handydan
Haven't had that much trouble with the Airstream part of our 1997 Land Yacht motorhome, but the Chevy chassis could be better. The P-30 wanders a lot. Had to add airbags to the rear and replace those up front. Also added Super-Steer. A buyer should expect a motorhome that is safe and confortable to drive without having to add all these aftermarket things. The W-22 chassis with wider front wheel track is better, I understand.
Handydan:

I have heard that Airstream is no longer able to get the P30 chassis so production of the Land Yacht Motorhome will cease once stock chassis are used up.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:42 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Come on Dickey Riegel (President of Airstream), don't blow this big PR opportunity! Post to the forums and tell us what the deal is.
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Maybe it's just time for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB21
....I have heard that Airstream is no longer able to get the P30 chassis so production of the Land Yacht Motorhome will cease once stock chassis are used up.
It could possibly mean that AS will just no longer build the LY on the P30 chassis.

I wonder if the cessation of the utilization of the P-3X chassis could be brought about by the introduction and success of the W-20, 22, and 24 chassis from Workhorse -

http://www.workhorse.com/

The P Chassis is only available from Workhorse in the 14K to 18K Gross Weight Range.

I am speculating here, but with even the 26' Land Yacht being rated at 19,000 lbs GCWR (15,000 lbs GVWR) it would make sense that AS standardize on the W series in order to stay competitive to what other manufacturers are offering. Perhaps AS will continue to offer the LY on the W series chassis.

http://www.airstream.com/product_lin.../lyg_spec.html

There are many engineering improvements on the W series that have not been incroporated into the P series manufacture. Sure would like to see a W series with the independent (coil) front suspension, though.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote