Old 06-23-2004, 07:37 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
So, it's a nickel finish with a slightly brushed texture...it looks nice, not as shiny as chrome but 'clean' and better than the partially chrome top we started with.

I can take a picture of the top and post it later, probably not until tomorrow though.

Hope this helps...

Shari
Here's the stove top...I haven't had a chance to go out & install it yet...so much to do, so little time!

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0413.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	7295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0417.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	7296  

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:29 PM   #156
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GT
Thanks Shari!

I did replace my shocks yesterday and it was a lot easier than anticipated. Removed the old one, quick visit to NAPA and away we went. Also repacked the bearings while I had the wheel off.
Did you get oil filled or gas charged?

LotalaborAZ
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:27 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Kewl`

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Here's the stove top...I haven't had a chance to go out & install it yet...so much to do, so little time!
Shari
Nice~wanta swap?
I'd settle for that...
ciao
53FC..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:08 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
You could acheive a similar finish on yours by removing the chrome coating. and 'brushing' with steel wool...

Shari

Old 06-24-2004, 10:06 AM   #159
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Finally~

Today, I managed to wrap up the stove project~!
It's for sure, it will never look like "Shari's stove but, considering the condition from whence it was resuced..It'll do for now~
I'll let you be the judge of that..
I'd be off to say, in the beginning it was close to a scale of 15-20 out of 100. It was such a MESS~!! You don't even want to know what I found under there..The lil critters must've been hungry`!!
Now, the only thing keeping it from getting higher marks, is the fact the top and the drip pans need to be re-chromed. Right now, I'd rate it a low 90 out of 100..
Here's a few pictures, keeping in mind the "before" pictures for comparison.
ciao
53FC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-654S.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	7306   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-655S.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	7307  

Name:	MVC-656S.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	7308   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-658S.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	7310  

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-26-2004, 07:52 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up New Curtains~

After several attempts, I finally got around to putting up some of the new curtains up..they have a white sun-blocking backing on each of them.
Total cost for curtain materials, including new SS pin hooks was $65.
I've waited what seems like a long time, to get to this point~!
ciao
53FC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-661S.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	7337   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-662S.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	7338  

Name:	MVC-664S.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	7339  
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-27-2004, 02:03 AM   #161
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Adjustment on stove?

After putting the stove back together, I decided to check out the burners, etc for function.
One thing became apparent, all 4 burners have a extremely low burner flame. Almost to the point of flame-out.
WHAT am I doing wrong here? The propane tank is nearly full. The valve is wide open~ A little nudge here would be helpful..
Thanks~
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-27-2004, 11:35 PM   #162
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
When you painted, did you paint the burners too? If so, did the holes get plugged up? Did you check all your connections with soapy water for leaks?

Shari

Old 06-28-2004, 06:24 AM   #163
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Yep..

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
When you painted, did you paint the burners too? If so, did the holes get plugged up? Did you check all your connections with soapy water for leaks?
Shari
Shari,
The burners and orifices were all taken apart, cleaned before lightly sprayed painted. The holes, I checked before putting it all back together. The only thing I didn't do, was get inside of the burners themselves. At the time, didn't think there was any need to check that..
Your thoughts about checking for leaks is an excellent one.
I have grave misgivings about gas line, in one area it's rubber, suddenly you see a break in the line, coupled with a very short piece of copper pipe, then that continues with the rubber line again, etc..At this point, checking for leaks will be the proper course of action.
I've been using Vulkum, sealing selected points around the outside of unit. Like redoing the rain guard over the door opening, over each one of the windows. I need to go back up there, and reseal the flange area around the old HE vent. After 40 yrs, it's quite exposed. No leaks that I'm aware of from it.BUT, Why take a chance.
One area I wanted to ask you about, When you did yours, did you seal the area just underneath the rear compartment door? I think it's the part of rear storage compartment as well..This is an area that (looks to me like) water could collect enough to find a way inside the rear. Just a thought coupled with a question mark..
The bathroom fixture surfaces will be completely refinished to look like new~
I did find an outfit in Houston, TX, that still sells hardware that were used originally in our units and, all units from that era..
I need to get the frig vent cover split in half (for proper fitting) and get it installed..Just sharing several thoughts here..The windows have been ordered, the flooring is expected to arrive sometime soon..Did I tell you that we decided to go with cork in this lil baby?? It's gonna be 3/8" thick tile that will be glued down on top of a new sub-flooring.
All this and, we're just reaching the half way mark...lmao
Thanks for your comments..
I need to get back to work~~!~ after my 2nd cup of coffee..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-28-2004, 08:17 AM   #164
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
53FLYINGCLOUD, You might wish to have an LP dealer or RV technician check your gas pressure reading. I am told that the tank regulators used on Airstream products are among the finest ever made, expecially on the ones of your vintage. Still, over time, they loose adjustment and sometimes don't put out sufficient pressure to operate the stove burners appropriately and other appliances efficiently. If yours is not working up to par, I am told that there are rebuild kits available and that rebuilding is superior to purchasing a new regulator as the new ones are not as well built. Now, having told you all this, I know nothing about what the pressure is supposed to be, where to get the needed parts, or how to go about completing the necessary repairs.

I own an '82, but I have really enjoyed following your efforts to restore the '64 and I admire you for breathing life back into this treasure. This would also be a good time to thank you for your past comments in trying to help me with a few of my questions. Thanks again.

P.S. If interested, I finally posted a few pictures of my unit to the AirstreamPhotos sister site under my member name. I'd be interested in your comments as to how my efforts to update, yet retain as much originality as possible are going.
GStephens
Old 06-28-2004, 02:55 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Yes Sir~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
53FLYINGCLOUD, You might wish to have an LP dealer or RV technician check your gas pressure reading. I am told that the tank regulators used on Airstream products are among the finest ever made, especially on the ones of your vintage. Still, over time, they loose adjustment and sometimes don't put out sufficient pressure to operate the stove burners appropriately and other appliances efficiently. If yours is not working up to par, I am told that there are rebuild kits available and that rebuilding is superior to purchasing a new regulator as the new ones are not as well built. Now, having told you all this, I know nothing about what the pressure is supposed to be, where to get the needed parts, or how to go about completing the necessary repairs.
I own an '82, but I have really enjoyed following your efforts to restore the '64 and I admire you for breathing life back into this treasure. This would also be a good time to thank you for your past comments in trying to help me with a few of my questions. Thanks again.
P.S. If interested, I finally posted a few pictures of my unit to the AirstreamPhotos sister site under my member name. I'd be interested in your comments as to how my efforts to update, yet retain as much originality as possible are going.
GStephens
GStephens,
Your '82 is "fantastic~!
I really like the wood interior, and the way it blends with the floor nicely`!
You've got the top of the line, that just can't be matched by todays units~
I think your correct about having this gas system checked by a Pro.. Btw, the original propane regulator is missing..Why I don't know but, the one on there is next to useless. It's designed for one tank only..Yuck!~ In my 84, I keep the original regulator (for a spare) when I replaced the old tanks for the "new style", I thought this would be a good time to put in a new one..I might grab it the next time I go to Va to install on this 64GT. It will be a step in the right direction~!!
I enjoyed your comment, "breathing life back"..It was lacking that, for sure.
Today's efforts was directed toward getting the screen guard cleaned up..Was it ever rusty` Whew..Did almost all of it by hand, rubbing the chrome until it polished nicely once more. I'll share a picture of the results.
One of the top corners had broken it "weld" spots..So, it's in the shop getting touched up. I expect I'll have it back in the morning from the shop, then riveted back in place on the door. It's just one little thing after another like that..
Started working on the shower curtain last night, it's gonna be a custom job, using the old one as a pattern, as these things were made to function a certain way..What with all the snaps, etc. Hard to explain unless you had one..
The next two major projects coming up, is getting the complete bathroom refinished, and then the cork floor installed. After that, I can start to plan the dinette layout.
In the back compartment area..
The water system needs to be completely checked and, then that leads to the water heater, toilet, the holding tanks, etc..lol
To say nothing about changing out the axel, wheels, tires..Testing the running lights hooked up to the Burb..I figure to be either replacing some of the running light's lens with new ones, where they're either broken or missing.
All of the external compartment doors need to be re-fitted with new locks~Here's where I sharpen up my rivet skills`!
Excuse me for rambling on here...Just thinking out loud about what needs to happen before she gets back on the road once more..
<Whisper'in softly> "It needs to be polished too~!~" Maybe next year that will happen..
Again, I hope you'll continue to enjoy the progress reports as they happen.
ciao
53FC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-673S.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	7374  
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-29-2004, 12:25 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Not hard..

Today seemed to be a perfect day to finis the screen project for the entry door.
First, I stopped by to pick up the screen guard from the welding shop.
(cost $10) Then, afterwards, ran by the hardware store to pick up some new screening materials and rubber strips for the edges.(cost $11.17)
In about 10 minutes times, I had the new screen completed.
This time around, I elected to use rivets to secure everything back as there had been screws used previously..These were rusty..
Upon taking the old screen insert out of the door, I found yet another coin buried underneath a metal flashing, dated 1989..(would have loved one from '64~!)lol
I decided to place a 2004 quarter from Florida under the flashing for the next owner~!!
Here's a few pictures of the project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-675S.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	7403   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-677S.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	7404  

Name:	MVC-678S.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	7405   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-680S.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	7406  

Name:	MVC-681S.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	7407  
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-30-2004, 01:56 AM   #167
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Just wanted to say~

"Thanks a Million~!" to both Shari & Rob, for the control knobs for my stove. They look like brand new~!`Thanks again guys~
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-30-2004, 06:39 AM   #168
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Unhappy Bad news~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
After putting the stove back together, I decided to check out the burners, etc for function.
One thing became apparent, all 4 burners have a extremely low burner flame. Almost to the point of flame-out.
WHAT am I doing wrong here? The propane tank is nearly full. The valve is wide open~ A little nudge here would be helpful..
Thanks~
ciao
53FC
While outside yesterday working on the screen, I had the propane tank turned on..I could smell the presence of GAS~!VERY STRONG~
Quickly shut the tank off..It would appear that I have a leak somewhere in the line..That might explain the hole under the belly-area.
ciao
53FC

NEU #64
New England Unit