I shared the discovery and purchase of my childhood Airsteam on my indroduction:
This thread will focus on the repair and restoration.
Here's what we've discovered after a complete outside inspection:
The skin is in very good condition. I checked multiple sites with a white cloth and toothpaste and it does have the remains of a plasticoat on it. There are a handful of small dimples in the skin. All seams are tight. I counted 5 missing rivets but may discover more.
Street-side windows will require replacement. Forward streetside window is broken out and is the culprit for most of the interior water damage. Crank mechanism is froze or broken. Aft streetside window is cracked vertically top to bottom. All other windows unbroken and operational. Gaskets need replacement on all windows.
Astrodome cover is whole but badly cracked, inner screen & mechanism intact. Aft hatch operational but leaking.
Door-within-door is complete and operational. Everything aligns beautifully. Hinges are solid. Weatherstripping needs replacement. Gutter/cowling over door needs re-sealing. Access doors, vent covers, latches intact.
Front window rock guard needs new wing-nuts but is otherwise intact. (Will probably replace the green fiberglass with smoked Lexan down the road.)
50% are complete, but still discolored, so will plan on replacing all when it's time. Wiring will have to be replaced throughout due to water, rodents, etc.
Battery box is intact but empty.
Water-tank fill cap/valve is complete.
Propane tanks are old & gnarly...new ones will be needed.
Dad has already re-habbed the tongue jack to make it operational.
Will post pictures of belly in next post.