Old 05-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
A link to the Rivet Removal Tool here. It really makes the task go better, and you do not slip off the head, causing unwanted damage.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
http://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Orchard , Colorado
Rivets coming out

All the advise really has helped. Henry purchased a rivet remover and that is doing the trick. Its slow and we are taking our time so as not to damage any of the panels.

It seems that Sunday afternoons are about our only time to spend on this project so it's going pretty slow.

I have some pictures and I'll post them as soon as I figure out how!

Keep that advise coming.
Jane & Henry

Old 05-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I washed our interior panels laid flat on the grass in the back yard with some heavy duty cleaner and a good long handled brush. Came out clean as a whistle! Now their coiled into loose groups awaiting wiring and insulation. Our hope is to get them back in by fall. (Our daughters wedding is taking all our time right now - 3 more weeks.....)
If you're replacing the floor, you could powerwash them inside the trailer before you take them out - just wear a bathing or wet suit!

Kay
Old 06-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Orchard , Colorado
Its been a month since I've posted, but we took this advise and I'm proud to say, the insides are out! We purchsed a AirCraft Rivet removal bit and yes, that was the ticket! Really speed up the job with less destruction of the metal around the rivets, Thanks, Steve. Rivet Master, your insights on the removal of stubborn rivets was invaluable - hopefully we have less damage on these panels than we would have.

I washed the interior with a good cleaner (Krud remover) before we took them out and now all the panels are laying in the shed. I do plan to powerwash them also to remove the remains of insultation and pooh smell before we reinstall.

Henry will take the floor out next and has looked at your restoration, Steve. He thinks he will leave walkways so we can clean underneath and still be able to carefully reach stuff before removing all the floor. Keep your fingers crossed that the cross members are not rotted or rusted!!

Question: can someone recommend the type insulation to purchase and the best way to install this to the skin?

Again, thanks to all.

PS: Birdie Momma, our airstream was manufacutred in Santa Fe Springs, CA, I'll post the vin # soon.
Jane
Old 06-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratte View Post
Its been a month since I've posted, but we took this advise and I'm proud to say, the insides are out! We purchsed a AirCraft Rivet removal bit and yes, that was the ticket! Really speed up the job with less destruction of the metal around the rivets, Thanks, Steve. Rivet Master, your insights on the removal of stubborn rivets was invaluable - hopefully we have less damage on these panels than we would have.

I washed the interior with a good cleaner (Krud remover) before we took them out and now all the panels are laying in the shed. I do plan to powerwash them also to remove the remains of insultation and pooh smell before we reinstall.

Henry will take the floor out next and has looked at your restoration, Steve. He thinks he will leave walkways so we can clean underneath and still be able to carefully reach stuff before removing all the floor. Keep your fingers crossed that the cross members are not rotted or rusted!!

Question: can someone recommend the type insulation to purchase and the best way to install this to the skin?

Again, thanks to all.

PS: Birdie Momma, our airstream was manufacutred in Santa Fe Springs, CA, I'll post the vin # soon.
Jane
Hi Pratte,

I used Prodex insulation from www.insulation4less.com
to do my Safari with. I have some info on my long-neglected blog, which you can get to from the link below. It beats the heck out of using fiberglass or Reflectix, IMO.

Rich the Viking
Old 06-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Is there a reason that we can't use the spray on urethane foam that is used in houses? It seems like it would fill all the voids and help with rodent issues as well as water.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Once a spray-foamed area does get moist it stays that way until the wood or metals turn to dust - closed-cell foam is not perfectly closed-cell, its more like 93 to 97% closed and will take up water over time. Prodex with an air gap is what I used and provided for possible intrusion drainage by sloping the sheets to weep holes like a very shallow shower stall drain.

People may shout its not so anymore but I've seen a spray foamed floor many years later that the metals involved would've been better off being buried in dirt.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck21084 View Post
Is there a reason that we can't use the spray on urethane foam that is used in houses? It seems like it would fill all the voids and help with rodent issues as well as water.

At the top of this page is a search button, and in the options you can choose Google search. I suggest you try a Google search for spray foam insulation or something similar. You can learn all the opinions, pro and con, and decide for yourself. This has been gone over many times, and there are some folks doing it right now. I can't see myself encapsulating all of the wiring and such in the stuff but there are some old Avions with the spray foam in them, from the sixties, I believe.

Happy hunting,

Rich the Viking
Old 06-16-2010, 03:13 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
ok thanks... I was not really asking for myself. I do not need to address this yet. I guess I was asking for the community as a whole.

Chris
Old 06-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
You for got something

everybody here loves pics!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Orchard , Colorado
Wow, can't believe how quickly you folks responded! Thanks. And I'd love to post Pic's - how do I do that?? do you have to put them in a blog? I tried using the icon above but it asked for a URL address. Not sure what it wants...
Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratte View Post
Wow, can't believe how quickly you folks responded! Thanks. And I'd love to post Pic's - how do I do that?? do you have to put them in a blog? I tried using the icon above but it asked for a URL address. Not sure what it wants...

How do I attach a file to a post?
To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.
What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.
How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Best to you,

Rich the Viking

Tags
1962, 1962 globetrotter, globetrotter, interior walls, rivets