Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Port Orchard , Washington
Our new 1964 'Honey'

We got Shephards book, "Restoring a Dream" last month. He talks about avoiding the polished Turd. My wife and I stumbled upon a Globe Trotter rotting in a neighbors field. He graciously sold it to us for a GREAT price. It is probably not worth much more then we paid though. It is not polished. but it is a...well you know.

Began the tear down and clean up this week-end with my son and wife's help.

Took out all the window and the old brittle weather stripping. Love the link on this site to the suppliers.

The floor is really bad under the bathroom and by the front door. But it is not good anywhere. I will search this site for how to replace it. But if any have some links on floors feel free to post them.

I could pull up the wood with my bare hands. YUCK!

Floor question: I have been reading some threads about complete removal and read a little about a body on replacing. I am not sure I want to take the body completely off. I did that with a VW bug and it was really difficult to get it all to fit right when reassembling. Can I remove belly pans, parts of the floor at one time, deal with any welding frame restoration, replace sections, then move on to the next section effectively? Is there a thread of anyone who did this?

There are also a couple of dents on the outer shell that I want to try and hammer and dolly out. Is that even possible? I don't want it to be perfect. I love that it is a 1964. But I want to fix those dents.

Right now I am removing the interior aluminum walls. Just the lower part to keep the strength on the shell when it comes time to remove the floor.

Looking forward to this. Glad to have such a great forum too.
Banjoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Hi Banjoboy and welcome!

You're in the right place for information and help on an airstream reno. It is definitely possible to replace the floor with the shell on and has been done by several folks here on the forums. I am currently doing it. With that said, if you are planning to replace the whole floor, just take the shell off. I repeat, JUST TAKE THE SHELL OFF. Not because of any purist aesthetic or super restoration code or whatever but because it will make your life easier. I had only a couple of bad spots in the floor and I had rear-end separation due to floor rot at the rear. I replaced the back 4ft and patched a couple other areas. While it will work for now, in the future I know I will be happier with a shell-off replacement. Not too mention it is extremely difficult and frustrating and time-consuming, did I mention frustrating, trying to slip the plywood into the channel under the wall. Extremely.
So long story short - yep it is possible but in my opinion it is better to just bite the bullet and do it right the first time. (lesson learned)

Good Luck!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We did shell-on floor replacement in our Little Girl Refurb thread. It is definitely do-able, even in a 31 footer like ours. If we had it to do again, we might very well do shell-off. Reasons are that it would be a lot easier to deal with frame repairs, bellypan and tank issues with shell off. Lying on the ground drilling and riveting the bellypan on was not one of my fondest memories, I gotta say. BUT, you need a way to store that shell while you work on the frame that is safe. And that's why we did shell-on.
Sweet trailer - good luck!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Wow, you just made me feel a lot better. I just bought a '69 and I thought mine was a turd, but at least it hasn't turned green.

Have fun with your project, and pace yourself. The deeper you dig, the more work you're going to find, don't let it overhwelm you. I'm working on my first trailer, but I've done some old houses before, so I know of what I speak. Any job can be tackled.

As to your shell-on question, I've read Minno's whole renovation thread, and he was incredibly systematic about doing it. So, yes, it can be done, and it can be done well. I'm about to do a partial shell-on, I have no bathroom floor, and that obviously needs to be fixed.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Floor question: I have been reading some threads about complete removal and read a little about a body on replacing. I am not sure I want to take the body completely off. I did that with a VW bug and it was really difficult to get it all to fit right when reassembling. Can I remove belly pans, parts of the floor at one time, deal with any welding frame restoration, replace sections, then move on to the next section effectively? Is there a thread of anyone who did this?

There are also a couple of dents on the outer shell that I want to try and hammer and dolly out. Is that even possible? I don't want it to be perfect. I love that it is a 1964. But I want to fix those dents.

Right now I am removing the interior aluminum walls. Just the lower part to keep the strength on the shell when it comes time to remove the floor.

Looking forward to this. Glad to have such a great forum too.[/QUOTE]

I have done numerous floor replacements using both methods, & although it may appear more difficult to do a "body off", it's actually far easier & gives you a much better job in the end.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
When it comes to dent removal and metal repair, search threads by Aerowood, our resident evil genius for all things aluminum. Also, forget the hammer and dolly as you can easily stretch the metal beyond repair-Search "Kip Roller" for a more correct solution.
And keep the pictures coming!
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Thanks for all the help!

Wow. Thank you all for your replies. And advice.

Minno, Jamespio, Colin, M.Nolte: I guess I will consider completely removing the shell. I am a bit concerned about replicating the section that has rotted so bad and then get to get it all back together. But I am willing to try. I certainly understand how much easier it would be to sand blast, weld and por-15 a bare frame.

I will also do the 'kip roller' search rumrunner.

I will post some more pics tomorrow. It is my day off and I am looking forward to doing a little work.

I have checked out some of your threads and am REALLY enjoying Air Forums!

Blessings
Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Got the interior shell off today.

I was amazed at the good condition of a lot of the insulation after almost 50 years.

I really don't think there will be too much frame damage. The wheel wells are in really nice condition.

My trailer is right next to my house and my tow vehicle is not running right now so I have not been able to pull it out and remove the tub. Now I have these huge fiberglass end caps. Just looking at them I cannot fathom them fitting through the door. Do they? I hate to cut them. I may refurbish them or maybe someone would want them.

What about all these things? Would anyone want them or are they just junk now. I am really leaning on upgrading to modern things.

What are these things? I think they might have had something to do with an old awning.

Here is my dent I want to press out. I did send a message to Kip asking about his roller.

Our door is really in sad shape.

I found some mouse droppings in one of the walls and lots of evidence of wasp and hornets. It really stunk and I am so glad to have it all bare. I think I will carefully power wash it and disinfect. What have some of you used to clean the shell?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Your 4th from the bottom photo is a piece of bracket from the awning. The 3rd from the bottom is a remnant of a door holder. I think you can pop that dent out of your endcap with a basketball as your roller. It's pretty big & should pop right out. The top of your door can be bent back by hand. Just don't pry on it too hard. It's a good thing to disinfect your interior. I cleaned my shell with an acid wash, since I was going to reseal & polish it when finished. But you can use something milder, like Amazing Orange from a dollar store, and see how it works for you. You can dump your old water heater & electric boxes. You'll want to install new wiring & a water heater. I agree with the others that you probably should do a shell-off if you have the room. I thought we'd never get it together, but I'm almost finished!! Mine is a 1964 Bambi II and was very similar to your trailer (only really trashed!) You can do it!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Welcome to the Globetrotter sub group! What an undertaking...

the first time I saw ours, I was in love. It was totally original, except for when I opened the door and walked in, I fell through to the belly pan. I replaced the front 3 of the four 4x8 sheets of plywood flooring, doing it by raising the shell slightly with blocks and sliding the new pieces under the shell and into place. Big tip: measure and make templates to get the body to go back in the right place! (like your Beetle).

Aren't you going to use the end fiberglass pieces again? I'd think you could leave those in place, they'll help a lot to stiffen the shell while you're moving it.

Best of luck
Old 04-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
I think you can pop that dent out of your endcap with a basketball as your roller. It's pretty big & should pop right out.
A basketball! I love it. I will try that. I wasn't sure how to start but I will start on an edge and work it around.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post

Aren't you going to use the end fiberglass pieces again? I'd think you could leave those in place, they'll help a lot to stiffen the shell while you're moving it.

Best of luck
I really like the look of the aluminum end caps I see people have fabricated. However, I have no idea how to start one of those. One thing I was surprised about when I took the end caps off was that there are no ribs there so there is not much to rivet to.

I thought about leaving the end caps on for strength, but I let weight win out. I hope I wont regret that. Not sure how to get them out of the trailer though. I guess when I take the shell off. But with the bracing that could be tricky too.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
Wow, you just made me feel a lot better. I just bought a '69 and I thought mine was a turd, but at least it hasn't turned green.
You live on the dry side of the mountains so you probably don't have to worry about the green stuff. If you look at that picture just above the Airstream sign there are some dark spots. That is actually clumps of moss. Kind of common on the wet west side of the Cascades.

The nice thing is that it easily washes off. It already looks better.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
I have decided not to take off the shell. I am not situated with the space and do not want to take out all those nice pretty rivets along the bottom of the trailer. :-)

I am going to cut the the middle of the pan out along this line.

Doing that on both sides all the way up I can stand in the hole, deal with the frame and then use strips to sew together the belly pan after the frame and floor are done. I appreciate all of your advice to take it off completely I just think this will be better for me with my trailer on the side of my house.

I can see already that this is a learn as you go project. There is so much info on the forum and I am reading as much as I can, but then I get out there, scope it out and decide what is best.

Took out the first section with a small hole saw around the bolts. It was so rotten it was not hard. I just broke the bolts on the c channel. They were so rusted.

This is the tray the tank was sitting in. Not much left.

I might be able to salvage this tank. Not sure I want to though.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Welcome to the world of floor,replacements. We are right across the sound in West Seattle. Sounds like you are making good progress. If you haven't found this thread yet, it has links to many of the major renovations. You should add yours to the list.

I would recommend holding onto that black tank until later in your renovation to make sure you don't want to reuse it. Custom tanks can be very expensive and off-the-shelf tanks often force annoying compromises in your layout and plumbing.

Norm
Old 04-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
mbosa;1291693]We are right across the sound in West Seattle. Sounds like you are making good progress.
Thanks Norm. Yes, we take the Southworth / Fauntleroy ferry often. Great way for us to get to Seattle.

We are very excited to have an Airstream. Glad to have gotten it even though it is in rough shape. But in some ways it seems pretty solid. I don't think I will need to do any welding. So far the frame looks pretty good.

Thanks for the advice about the tank too. I will keep it. I have been thinking about reconfiguring the bathroom some. I don't think we are going to put a tub/shower back in. Probably just a lav and toilet. We are just getting into it and I am really ignorant about how much some things will cost. I know por-15 is not cheap but a little goes a long way.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
I am thinking of getting one of these.

110 Lb. Pressurized Abrasive Blaster

I have always taken car body parts to a media blaster. Has anyone tried the one from harbor freight? I don't want to pay too much and this one seems reasonable.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoboy View Post
I am thinking of getting one of these.

110 Lb. Pressurized Abrasive Blaster

I have always taken car body parts to a media blaster. Has anyone tried the one from harbor freight? I don't want to pay too much and this one seems reasonable.
We used the same one to blast my frame.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Thanks for the quick reply. Glad to hear it has been used on a frame already. And successfully. I read the reviews online and it sounds like it works if you treat it gently.

What type of media did you use on your frame?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Well, I pulled the trailer out from next to the house to see if the end caps and tub would fit through the door. AND THEY DID!! Wow. That was cool. So I took them out in one piece and stored them away while I try and fix this frame and floor. It looks great to have it all out. I was constantly moving it around and working around it. Not fun.

I also took off one of the tires just before dark and plan to take off the axle to take it into a local place for replacement. That whole process seems a bit complicated. I have seen some of the descriptions and it all looks like Greek to me at this point. I saw that there is a Dexter location right in Tacoma near me. So I plan on just taking it over there to be sure I get the right one. It looks like there are only four bolts to remove. It was getting dark so I didn't get the best look at it. I am trying not to bother my neighbor too much with the project.

Tags