Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
eagle , Idaho
Newbie to the Globetrotter

Just wanted to say hi. just bought a 1964 globe trotter and pretty much need to give it an over haul. Will be looking for advice and inspiration so anything you guys can offer would be great.

i'll post some pictures soon.
idahoair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to the vintage Airstream community. It sounds like you're willing to renovate this 50 year old Airstream. It is a huge project involving all kinds of time and money. I would budget maybe 1500 hours of your time, and maybe $10,000 of your money to renovate your Airstream. All this comes over a rather long calendar span. I've been working on mine for 18 months; a little here and there. Being retired, I have more time than most.

Globetrotters are cute little trailers. The fit the "Airstream image" perfectly. You will have to assess your trailer's needs, and then develop a plan that fits your intended use of the trailer. Study various floor plans used in Globetrotters over the years on the Airstream Corp website. Search around and you may find the old sales brochures and specifications for these trailers. It used to be available, but I haven't checked back lately.

You might even check the floor layouts of late model Bambi's and other small model trailers. Airstream designers are very good at small space layouts. Get as many ideas as you can.

Most campers are more comfortable alternatives to tent camping. A warm, dry, comfortable place to sleep. Having water and power is also a luxury over a tent. But a 20 foot trailer does not have room for a queen size bed, a gourmet kitchen, and a whirlpool bath! Don't try to cram too many amenities into your trailer. Provide only the basics in my view.

You have probably found the Airstream Knowledge Base toward the bottom of the AirForums home page. Look at trailers, and then select Globetrotter and the year range of your trailer. There you can read threads of other enthusiasts who have renovated Globetrotters.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
eagle , Idaho
David,

Thanks for the insight.
I hope we can do it a little quicker and cheaper than that but you are probably right on all fronts.
pretty excited to see how this process goes.
should be fun.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Globetrotters are cool - but I may be biased...

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
eagle , Idaho
I am too.
hope I feel the same after this is all said and done.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
should be fun”... Good attitude!

Thankfully we have the sage advice of the always welcoming and kind worded dbj216, David.

Some of the restoration threads are an account of dilemma and hysteria. Other threads share their endeavors with a more casual, often comical attitude of overcoming problems. Ami and I have been rebuilding our GT for five years. We re-sawed every bit of the old ash interior into a better configuration for the two of us. Every minute has been enjoyable. Nary a moment of discord.

Japan has little to no trailer culture as we know in USA. So, despite being a “happy camper”/back-packer/traveler, the American culture of enjoying travel and outdoors from a box on wheels was a bit out of place in her mind. We're “no trace” backpackers. Consequently, the purchase of a rebuildable Airstream was met with an eye-roll and “If that's what you want...”

Funny thing, It didn't take long, before she assumed complete emotional ownership of the project, and it has become HER trailer. “It's bigger than some Japanese apartments" She notes.

We have a healthy system of agreement and compromise that has resulted in fabulous little camper.

She finds awakening warm and cozy on a crisp Fall morning, to birdsong, fresh ground coffee, at a desolate Lake Superior beach, in HER trailer(Clearly the best Airstream on the planet), very pleasing... She “Gets It” now.

Hmmmmm... She may have also become a “Vintage Snob”. She doesn't care what her trailer has cost, or its worth, 'cause it won't be for sale.

BTW, her acquired attitude is working very well for the GT and me...

So, I'll say “It will be fun”

Globe Trotters Rule!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	INTERIOR BEFORE.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	234978   Click image for larger version

Name:	f.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	823.1 KB
ID:	234979  

Name:	DSC_2492.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	234980  
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Oh thank you for the kind words. We Airstreamers are a positive bunch!

My son has an old Globetrotter. It is a 1969 model, the first year of the new body style. It's a front dinette, wet bath model. And I hope someday to make it a project of mine. I think the layout could be improved for more comfortable sleeping arrangements. My Airstream is used for sitting and sleeping out of the weather. I don't plan on making a Thanksgiving dinner and serving 10 people in it. In 69 Airstream called the Globetrotter a 21' trailer instead of the 20'. I think all the models were a foot longer in the sales brochure, but I don't know how much they physically changed. I'm sure the interior volume was increased with the new body style.

I think 64 was the last year of the "door in a door" and the 5 segment end caps. My 66 has 3 segment end caps just like my 86 does. Some call the old body style a "twinkie" and the new body style a "loaf".

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1009 Curbside.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	234990  
Old 03-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Oak Ridge North , Texas
I Love what I can see ! Do you have any other photos? I am also doing a complete redo on my 65 Globetrotter!
Swimhard4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:37 PM   #9
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
Fun stuff...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/a...od-129180.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ew-126474.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/p...ce-128019.html
Old 03-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
eagle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
should be fun”... Good attitude!

Thankfully we have the sage advice of the always welcoming and kind worded dbj216, David.

Some of the restoration threads are an account of dilemma and hysteria. Other threads share their endeavors with a more casual, often comical attitude of overcoming problems. Ami and I have been rebuilding our GT for five years. We re-sawed every bit of the old ash interior into a better configuration for the two of us. Every minute has been enjoyable. Nary a moment of discord.

Japan has little to no trailer culture as we know in USA. So, despite being a “happy camper”/back-packer/traveler, the American culture of enjoying travel and outdoors from a box on wheels was a bit out of place in her mind. We're “no trace” backpackers. Consequently, the purchase of a rebuildable Airstream was met with an eye-roll and “If that's what you want...”

Funny thing, It didn't take long, before she assumed complete emotional ownership of the project, and it has become HER trailer. “It's bigger than some Japanese apartments" She notes.

We have a healthy system of agreement and compromise that has resulted in fabulous little camper.

She finds awakening warm and cozy on a crisp Fall morning, to birdsong, fresh ground coffee, at a desolate Lake Superior beach, in HER trailer(Clearly the best Airstream on the planet), very pleasing... She “Gets It” now.

Hmmmmm... She may have also become a “Vintage Snob”. She doesn't care what her trailer has cost, or its worth, 'cause it won't be for sale.

BTW, her acquired attitude is working very well for the GT and me...

So, I'll say “It will be fun”

Globe Trotters Rule!!

Love the stories behind the airstreams. I've traveled a lot and have to agree with the comment about some being bigger than apartments in Japan. Too funny.

What I really want is to create memories with my family and friends. I could do that in another trailer but I think an airstream adds to the magic of them all. So this is going to be a great journey I'm sure of it.

we are just to the gutting portion so that may change when we really get into the meat and potatoes of it all. but I can't wait to have stories and memories for years to come with our a/s.

thanks for the insight and kind words.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
eagle , Idaho
we'll probably be working on it this weekend so i'll shoot some more photos and feel free to leave comments and advice. we don't offend easy.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I was wrong on post #7 below. The early 60s had SEVEN segment end caps, the mid 60s have FIVE segments just like the new body style introduced in 69.

I couldn't sleep last night worrying about this error! I now stand corrected.

David
Old 03-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I was wrong on post #7 below. The early 60s had SEVEN segment end caps, the mid 60s have FIVE segments just like the new body style introduced in 69.

I couldn't sleep last night worrying about this error! I now stand corrected.

David
Bingo : )
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoair View Post
David,

Thanks for the insight.
I hope we can do it a little quicker and cheaper than that but you are probably right on all fronts.
pretty excited to see how this process goes.
should be fun.
I don't want to burst your bubble, but David is pretty close here, assuming you're doing all of the work yourself & you are diligent in your purchases. This of course assumes that you are doing a complete ground up restoration/refurbishment/customization.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:11 AM   #15
Tim Eagle

1995 31' Land Yacht
Sandusky , Michigan
Send a message via MSN to tmeagle1
We love our 1964 19' Gloetrotter.

Dark Nest Travels : Blog (if you'd rather read our ramblings and history)
tmeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #16
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thanks all, It's assuring to receive positive responses.

Added detail...
The metal is prepped prior to installation. To plain ol' 5052 .032 and .125, that was directionally hand sanded, the coating of exterior(non-yellowing) semi-gloss polyurethane, thinned to a wipe-able consistency is applied with a soaked rag instead of brush or spray. I scrub it in really well, then nearly all off, to assure there are no brush marks. Let it dry hard for a day, wet-sand with 1000 grit, and wipe it down again, repeating until it feels like about a half-thick spray coat. Visually, it's difficult to detect the presence of a coating, surface looks polished, has depth, and shows grain.

It resists water stain and cooking spatter, clean with warm soapy water, windex.... I cannot expect it to resist scratches better than polyurethane paint, but has held up remarkably well, and will be easy to blend a touch-up when necessary... It looks and feels good. I think that one could use a catalytic polyurethane for added durability.

There are professional/commercial coatings superior to what I concocted. Possibly order from Airstream/Alcoa/Kaiser/Reynolds, a factory coated aluminum sheet.
Yup, it took a while, scribing the contour was tedious, but it was fun, and less than a hundred bucks in material including the wall and hood metals.

Another note...
Reading the forum, I find many folks struggling with re-fabricating their flimsy interior wheelhouse insulation covers. I rebuilt mine with 3/4” rigid foam and re-purposed 1”x 2” spf and 1/4” bulkhead plywood. This enabled me to use the wheelhouse cover as a base cabinet carcass, and afforded more toe space.

It widened the Kitchen floor by two feet in the wheel to wheel area. With a corner drain sink, which sets the drain way back against the wall, it created very accessible storage, and it really helps Bigfoot squeeze out of the way when sharing kitchen space with the beloved Godzilla.

Thanks again, and enjoy your journey...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dec 2011 nikon dump 398.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	235175   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2298.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	600.0 KB
ID:	235176  

Name:	DSC_2300.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	235177   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2757.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	235178  

Name:	DSC_2790.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	235179   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3016.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	235180  

Name:	DSC_3005.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	235181  
Old 03-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Newbie to the Globetrotter

Welcome! Looking forward to following your progress!
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Rothschild , Wisconsin
Just before winter I bought a 65 GT that also needs an over haul. I've spent most of the winter reading on posts on this website and trying to figure out where to start! Good luck, I hope to see your posts.
dawndonahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:02 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Oak Ridge North , Texas
I would Love to hear how it's going and See Pictures! I have a 65 twin GT that we are Just starting the repairs on! This Wed. All windows are being resealed and one new piece of glass replaced! Good Luck on your repairs!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:05 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Oak Ridge North , Texas
If you decide to ever make and sell one of those vent hoods, I Want one!! You do such Great work! You have one Lucky wife!!