Old 01-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
My '63 GT Interior Restoration Photos

All,

Started the interior restoration of my 63 GT--->Purchased this past summer and finally digging into it.
It is an international model however a previous owner painted the wood cabinets an ugly while w/dark blue. I had no choice but to re-paint a more appealing color. I pulled the stove/oven and replacing with 2 burner stove top and microwave - also pulled original fridge and furnace/cabinet and made a custom cabinet to fit my new fridge which will either run on 100V or room for ice bucket on bottom shelf for ice to use as cooler for traveling until we are plugged into 110V.
I removed the pull-out front gaucho and installing dinette - I will keep the pull out bed on curbside.
I removed the space confining wall/cabinet blocking the toilet area in the bathroom and replacing with a 45 degree angle wall w/door and shelves above.
I also removed the old hot water tank and will install my excel water on demand water heater inside the redesigned bath cabinet

I got the laminate counter top fitted yesterday and installed the stove top and sink/faucet - Nothing permanently down yet until cabinets are lined up and my new plumbing/propane lines are run.

Here is a before and after of the cabinets/kitchen area. I'll post more photos as I progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinets-before.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	331577   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinets1-crop.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	331578  

Old 01-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Groove, Looks great. That fridge really looks nice. We have a 61 GT. We've also been wondering which goucho to remove. We think it's going to be the side one as the front bed seems a bit larger. Interested to see more pictures as you move forward.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
^^Thanks!---> IMO, I think the front gaucho is best removed for dinette as for my height(6'1") is less comfortable due to the more restrictive length as a bed and secondly, sitting at dinette in the very front of trailer feels better overall to me.
Of course when the center bed is pulled out there is less room to get by cabinets but it feels bigger and I will have 4" foam cushions on it for comfort.

Personally I really like a dinette and we like board games, eating and just hanging at a table.

Fellow forum member Seawaatty contacted me and sent photos/measurements of nice dinette he built in front with water tank on the curbside(starboard side). I'll be installing new water tank on the street(port side).
When I construct the dinette I will enclose the front middle side of seating running port to starboard 2" in depth to run the water fill hose and my 12v positive lead for the water pump.
They sell a nice 20 gal fresh water tank on Icondirect.com which is 24"Lx18"W"x12"H and will fit nicely under the port side dinette seat with plenty or room for the 12V pump. Tank comes with water fill fitting and 1/2" fitting at bottom for connecting to plumbing.

**Did run into an issue yesterday - I tested the water drains and waste tank valve and unfortunately the waste valve leaks - I removed the waste holding tank which surprisingly was very clean inside and in excellent condition.
VTS sells an aluminum plate adapter for these Globe Trotter and Caravel tanks so you can use the updated Valterra waste valves - The biggest challenge is when removing the old valve, 3 of the the 4 mounting bolts were frozen and I had to grind off those 3 heads - having the one bolt was very helpful because I was able to dig thru my stainless bolts and fine the same 3/16th's bolt pattern - I very carefully drilled out the very center of the remaining bolts using a small bit and slowly moving to bigger bits - I then used a 1/4" stainless steel bolt with same thread pattern as the old bolt to chase the threads - The brass fitting on the tank makes this easier than if it were steel - All 4 threads are now ready for the new adapter.

I'll post more photos when I install the adapter and new valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waste tank.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	331671   Click image for larger version

Name:	waste tank fitting.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	331672