Old 11-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #71
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Some love for Lorelei

Lorelei has been there in the back yard all summer long, patiently waiting to be given the care and love she deserves. Unfortunately, I have been working on other things. I did get a nice DeWalt 849X polisher from Amazon and some polishing supplies from Caswell. I came home from work yesterday and just couldn't wait to try out the polisher and compounds. It was dark last night when I tested it out so I had to use a small shop light. I picked the most scratched up area. The curb side rear corner. I made two passes with black emery and two passes with white compound. I'm using the treated airway wheels. I have read a lot about polishing on the forums and listened to all the VAP episodes on polishing. I wonder when Colin will release that secret polish? How about it Colin? Thanks to Wasagachris, Darkspeed and many others for their detailed polishing threads. You've been a big help to many here.
This morning when the sun came up I went out to take a look and snap a few photos. Here they are.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	145427Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	145428
Lorelei will look superb when she is all shined up and fully restored.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Wow

Wow Top that looks good! Maybe next year while Mrs. S is in nursing school I can swing down to your neck of the woods and get a few lessons.

During the rally Mrs. S saw a nicely polished unit and I was shocked to find out that she could speak French. She said "Baby WE need to do that to ours."

WE....either you got a mouse in your pocket or your taking French classes!
They make it sound so easy....

Id love to get the clear coat off of mine since its already bad in some places, but I just dont know if I have the courage to commit to it. So many stories of "I wish I wouldnt have."

Ill be following along to see how it pans out for you.

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #73
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hey Lance like Freddie Prince said. Loookin Goood. The older aluminum really does come up nice when poilished. Although I almost can't see you in the reflectrion because of the camo's.
I think I like to try those treated Airway wheels. Where did you get them?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #74
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Thanks Mr. S and Chris! Lots of work, but it is nice to see immediate results. I got the wheels from Caswell. Here is the link.
Mr. S, Just go on and strip the clear coat and get to work! Your missus will help you.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
What diameter wheels are you using, and are you using a single stack or double?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #76
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Hey Kip,
They are 10" and single wheel. I am thinking about using some of the brown bar after the black. Then using the soft cotton buffs with the white bar. Still getting the feel for what works best.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Show off!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #78
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Just trying to keep up with you Melody!

Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #79
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Looking really SHINEEEEEY Top! I can't wait til I finally get to that point. Maybe I'll try to get Colin to use my Overlander to test his product !!!!

I will say that he did a spot on my trailer a couple of years ago (the PO had left it on his lot for a while) and it still looks pretty good though no one has touched it since. He may indeed have a magic potion.

Polish on!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #80
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Looks like you need more practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Lorelei has been there in the back yard all summer long, patiently waiting to be given the care and love she deserves. Unfortunately, I have been working on other things. I did get a nice DeWalt 849X polisher from Amazon and some polishing supplies from Caswell. I came home from work yesterday and just couldn't wait to try out the polisher and compounds. It was dark last night when I tested it out so I had to use a small shop light. I picked the most scratched up area. The curb side rear corner. I made two passes with black emery and two passes with white compound. I'm using the treated airway wheels. I have read a lot about polishing on the forums and listened to all the VAP episodes on polishing. I wonder when Colin will release that secret polish? How about it Colin? Thanks to Wasagachris, Darkspeed and many others for their detailed polishing threads. You've been a big help to many here.
This morning when the sun came up I went out to take a look and snap a few photos. Here they are.
Attachment 145427Attachment 145428
Lorelei will look superb when she is all shined up and fully restored.
Hey Top,
I was thinking you need more practice on polishing and I happen to know of a long trailer available for just that. I am amazed at how good that looks. I am still trying to get all the letters off the outside of ours. I can't even think about how long it will be until we can do that but will be following your work along the way.
Sandy
Old 11-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #81
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Thanks Shelly and Sandy! Believe me Shelly, this trailer is not ready to be polished. She was just sitting there by the garage door when all the polishing supplies arrived. I'm sure you'll have the moonraker ready to polish in a short while!
Sandy, I don't think that I'll be polishing Lorelei for a few years. I actually bought all the polishing equipment to polish a customer's trailer. I needed a nice piece of aluminum to hone the skill and Lorelei was there. You'll probably be able to fend off the urge to polish for a while, but sooner or later, It'll get you!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #82
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Our top is bald and we have ghost letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Thanks Shelly and Sandy! Believe me Shelly, this trailer is not ready to be polished. She was just sitting there by the garage door when all the polishing supplies arrived. I'm sure you'll have the moonraker ready to polish in a short while!
Sandy, I don't think that I'll be polishing Lorelei for a few years. I actually bought all the polishing equipment to polish a customer's trailer. I needed a nice piece of aluminum to hone the skill and Lorelei was there. You'll probably be able to fend off the urge to polish for a while, but sooner or later, It'll get you!
I am sure it will hit me one of these days. We have serious clear coat failure on the top and we also have a lot of letters and a map on the trailer that you can still make out plainly. I would have just skipped the whole idea of polishing but I think we may have to anyway. It looks great on your trailer but I am concerned with all of the people on the forums that talk about the really hard work it takes to get one done right. I am not sure my arms and neck could stand all of that operating with a buffer for a couple of hundred hours. Maybe I can talk myself into it down the road.

Maybe I will live vicariously through your polishing!
Sandy

Tags
1962, globetrotter