Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Rivet joining the club - '62 Ohio GT

been reading the forums, looking for an airstream for a few months now. Just put down a deposit on our new-to-us 62 GT. its in surprisingly good shape - even the blue paint on the plaques still bright blue. has a WBCCI # and a rectangular sticker - "wally byram's caravan" on top.

obvious repairs needed;
- restore old door lock to 'original'=looking replica (currently features ugly gold house type door lock)
- re-weld bumper to back of trailer
- repair water fill nozzle (?) broken off from exterior
- repair/replace gas HW heater

all else is very good shape original everything. I'm almost bummed to be RENOVATING a perfectly maintained original interior when i know so many people appreciate that -

a few questions for the experienced out there;

- the HW heater - is it dangerous? should i replace w/ a new one?
- the electric - is it dangerous? seems a shame to rip it all out when everything else is in such great shape.
- the plumbing - same as above - to keep or replace?
- where the HECK is the heater? should it be replaced?
- how many gallons of H2O does it hold?
- only has a black water tank, no grey, right?

Thanks. i could hardly sleep last night in anticipation of buying it. her. him. it. lol. i didn't want to leave the seller's house - i would've moved in right there if he let me
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Wow - cause for celebration! Welcome to the forum. Post some pictures when you get a chance.. share the joy

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
been reading the forums, looking for an airstream for a few months now. Just put down a deposit on our new-to-us 62 GT. its in surprisingly good shape - even the blue paint on the plaques still bright blue. has a WBCCI # and a rectangular sticker - "wally byram's caravan" on top.

obvious repairs needed;
- restore old door lock to 'original'=looking replica (currently features ugly gold house type door lock)
- re-weld bumper to back of trailer
- repair water fill nozzle (?) broken off from exterior
- repair/replace gas HW heater

all else is very good shape original everything. I'm almost bummed to be RENOVATING a perfectly maintained original interior when i know so many people appreciate that -

a few questions for the experienced out there;

- the HW heater - is it dangerous? should i replace w/ a new one?
- the electric - is it dangerous? seems a shame to rip it all out when everything else is in such great shape.
- the plumbing - same as above - to keep or replace?
- where the HECK is the heater? should it be replaced?
- how many gallons of H2O does it hold?
- only has a black water tank, no grey, right?

Thanks. i could hardly sleep last night in anticipation of buying it. her. him. it. lol. i didn't want to leave the seller's house - i would've moved in right there if he let me
Great model, great year. You are already on your way to adventure.

My opinion on water heaters and furnaces is to replace them now for peace of mind later. I went with Suburban direct spark iginition for both and they have worked well over the last six years.

If your interior is in fair condition everything can be repaired and brought back to look like new.

Also replace plumbing as needed. Blue tank has worked well for us but many add gray tanks. This requires more engineering, skill, $. Water tank is 20 gallons+-.

I would suggest restoration over renovation. Read R.J. Dial's thoughts on this on this website www.vintageairstream.com

Research before ripping will save you lots of work, money and maybe a classic Airstream.
Good luck
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congrats on your new baby. We would love to see some pictures.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
ok, ill try again for pics....

we picked up the AS sun nite. here are the pics (second try...airforums photo upload isnt all that easy!) sorry for quality, still trying to figure out this camera....

(anyone know what that thing is hanging down in front of the tire there?)

(lights work! takin her home...)

this upcoming weekend we'll take everything out to check the electric, take measurements for greywater tank... see if blackwater is still holding up.

the only 'quirk' i cant figure out...to the left of the propane tanks is where i thought the water fill valve is, but this looks like a broken flag holder - its closed off, like it was sealed (seephoto #11, to the left of the battery).... theres only an output from the belly (as noted in photo #10 above...) what the ??? how do i fill the H20 tank??

now you can see why i feel bad remodeling. this AS is in like, mint condition.... i just don't know if it all works. i almost feel like i should trade it for a crappier AS.... (the emblems are still bright blue!!!)

i cant describe how giddy i was when i saw those AS lights glowing at night... it was a thing of beauty!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Wow. Your '62 appears from the pictures to be in incredible original condition. I would have to logically guess that there are not too many '62 trailers around in this good of original condition. In many cases a restored original trailer of this year in this condition is highly valued.

Safari62 is right on with replacing the furnace and water heater, as safety related issues are priority #1 in any restoration (or refurbishment).

Is that your water fill on the front of the trailer left of the tongue about thigh high?

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
research before ripping saves time and $

Quote:
(anyone know what that thing is hanging down in front of the tire there)

now you can see why i feel bad remodeling. this AS is in like, mint condition.... i just don't know if it all works. i almost feel like i should trade it for a crappier AS.... (the emblems are still bright blue!!!)

i cant describe how giddy i was when i saw those AS lights glowing at night... it was a thing of beauty!
NJ'
This trailer is is very good condition. If your plans include restoration to its original condition you are very lucky to have found this one. This type of restoration will be the best way to add to its long term value.

And even if you do not know it now, the interior layout, floorplan, fixtures and cabinetry will be very hard to improve on. Not saying it cannot be done but add about 10k to the cost of restoration and add a few years delay before camping. And doing this looses some advantages of this period vintage benefits.

Being a 62', your GT has many higher quality details that would soon disappear in later years. To remove these features and to "improve or modernize" the interior will in my opinion decrease the value. The light danish modern stain, the light vanilla counter tops are somewhat rare. The replacement of floor color and new fabrics for upholstery and curtains will offer you ways to update and add some of your style ideas.

Your axle has bolt on tire savers...if tire goes flat this skid bar slides on the road and helps protect tire and wheel well from damage. (my old axle had them also) The axle needs to be replaced anyway.

I have to say I don't like the sound of "I almost feel bad about remod" comments maybe because I had preconceived ideas about my trailers interior. I figured it would be much more fun to reinvent the interior and gut and replace the original. After much research it became apparent to me my original layout would be hard to improve on. After six years of much use I am very happy that we stayed vintage.

This is not to say there is less work involved. Less expense more likely. Some workwork will still have to be replaced, restained, etc. Plumbing, water tank, pump,water heaters, furnace, floor, some sub floor, belly pan opened up, insulation replaced, frame fixed and repainted. Foam, fabrics, floorcovering, window seals, hardware, clearance lights, gas tanks, gas lines. The fun never stops. But isn't this enough work without reinventing your Globetrotter?

Remember, changing the layout of the frig, water tanks etc changes the weight balance of the trailer, the vent exhausts, drains, overhead cabinets, electrical service and outlets. This requires specialized tools and parts to relocate vents, etc.

Have I talked you out of a remod? Good. Don't listen to the "its your trailer do whatever" guys. They just want to eliminate the competition.

I can post some photos of my Ohio 62'....same cabinets, lights, hardware, stove, ....love it. You will too. Give it time before changing it.

They never look that great at first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	in&out (14).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	93153   Click image for larger version

Name:	mixed 083.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	93154  

Old 12-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
safari62,

thank you for the info on that hangy-down thing for the tires...my concern is that when going over big bumps, they are sparking, which is a bit unnerving...

re: the trailer. my 'restoration' plans don't really involve changing layout, except in bath; i had planned to remove the sink and reposition the toilet - my fiancee is a big guy, and cannot presently use it as there isnt enough leg room! i had also planned on making it a 'wet bath', and adding greywater tanks.

my other thought is that there is no table space for eating or working. i would like to remove the streetside gaucho and replace it with a counter. under the counter would be a drop-down 'shelf' for an airbed should the need arise.

we will be living in it a few weeks at a time while our new house in NC is built (note the SN - NJ to NC ? ) so workspace is vital.

being an old house lover, i really can appreciate restoring all old details. which is why i hesitate with 'this' trailer. but the price was right.... and location couldn't have been better!

Quote:
Some workwork will still have to be replaced, restained, etc. Plumbing, water tank, pump,water heaters, furnace, floor, some sub floor, belly pan opened up, insulation replaced, frame fixed and repainted. Foam, fabrics, floorcovering, window seals, hardware, clearance lights, gas tanks, gas lines.
with exception of the above mentioned changes, you have about summed up my other restore / remod plans. i guess i felt bad about changing out the fabric, restaining the woodwork, etc., as that seems 'remodeling' to me

Quote:
Is that your water fill on the front of the trailer left of the tongue about thigh high?
thats what i thought it was! but it appears to be closed off - like, there is no opening into the trailer. does it open some how that i dont know about?

BTW, i really do appreciate all the feedback and warm welcome. its so nice to have others who 'get it' .... thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
safari62, your pics - thanks for that- amazing job!!! im inspired!
Old 01-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
this is the first weekend, we cleaned out the trailer, started gutting. based on my reading of the forums, i have concern about the axles - they look to me like they need replacement. question is, can we make it from nj to nc before replacing?

ah, also, it does appear that the water fill had been sealed. makes sense, b/c there's no water tank! it's been previously removed for some reason.

we cleared out the garbage, removed carpet, removed streetside gaucho (will sell in classifieds), removed old heater, uncovered blackwater tank (going to reuse. stuck the camera in it and it looks good! bonus.) removed sink from bath (also available). removed old curtain hardware, took out cusions for cleaning and recovering. boring. dad was out of town this weekend, hopefully next weekend we can start addressing plumbing / electric.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
this is the first weekend, we cleaned out the trailer, started gutting. based on my reading of the forums, i have concern about the axles - they look to me like they need replacement. question is, can we make it from nj to nc before replacing?

ah, also, it does appear that the water fill had been sealed. makes sense, b/c there's no water tank! it's been previously removed for some reason.

we cleared out the garbage, removed carpet, removed streetside gaucho (will sell in classifieds), removed old heater, uncovered blackwater tank (going to reuse. stuck the camera in it and it looks good! bonus.) removed sink from bath (also available). removed old curtain hardware, took out cusions for cleaning and recovering. boring. dad was out of town this weekend, hopefully next weekend we can start addressing plumbing / electric.
NJ
The axle will have to be replaced if you plan on using this as a travelling camper. If your schedule does not allow complete change, at least remove/inspect/replace as needed grease/seals/bearings. While they are apart check brakes/drums/brake parts and repair/replace. It will get you to NC but the trailer will ride rough.

DO not load it up with any weight for this trip as it is already riding without suspension.

Also get new tires or you will get first hand experience with those skid bars on I-95.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I would venture a guess based on my experience with the 63 that those tires would virtually be impossible to get off to work on the bearings etc with as low as the trailer is sitting now. I would highly encourage you to replace the axle, we did, made a big difference in how it tows, and having suspension will save what you're keeping from damage and protect what you build. And yes you'll want to get real tires on there instead of those passanger tires someone put on.

Welcome BTW, looks like you've got a good project under way!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
anyone know of an alternative to this $175 'vintage' water fill?

Vintage Aluminum WATER FILL neck airstream New NOS:eBay Motors (item 190362321978 end time Feb-01-10 12:20:13 PST)
Old 01-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
ok, this is "The Master Plan".

1. Removal. Don't wanna call it gutting, im not doing that - ok, im gutting the bathroom. removed streetside gaucho. tore up carpet. will also remove linolium. remove all LP and copper tubing - all busted.

2. Eelctric.
- Repair left turn signal.

3. Gas.
-run new gas line for HW heater stove.

4. Re-Plumb.
- Will install water tank. (Dock Boxes, Marine RV Holding Tanks, Shower Sump Tanks, Buoys - Marine & RV Tanks) 129+ shipping.
- will install new gravity water fill ($TBD) & new city water fill ($40)
- New Pump ($TBD, estimated $150)
- new pex plumbing ($0, thanks dad!)
- new fauct ($60)
- New On-demand LP hot water heater ($160 + shipping : B100 Max 2" Bricor Showerhead).
- installing new shower head ($70 B100 Max 2" Bricor Showerhead - low-flow).
- installing waste water pump (WHALE WATER SYSTEMS WHA BP1552 GULPER 220 SHOWER DRAIN & WASTE WATER PUMP PLUMBING SYSTEMS BOATING MARINE
$140) so i dont have to tear up floor to install greywater tank.
- new greywater tank ($TBD, above frame).
- connect greywater tank w/ dump valve to Blk water tank. install overflow valve on grey tank to release to blk in case full.
- will try to re-use vintage toilet, if it works
- Vent greywater and re-plumb vent for blackwater tank.

5. Metal Work.
- create new countertop to replace old streetside gaucho ($$)
- patch exterior old water heater hole & heater vent ($)
- Possibly replace countertop in kitchenette w/ SS & add new SS kitchen sink. ($$)
- line bathroom fiberglass endcap w/ aluminum. showerpan fabricated out of SS. new bench to conceal greywater tank out of SS or alum. cover blackwater tank w/ aluminum. ($$$$)

6. Flooring.
-new linolium floor ($TBD)

7. Applicances
- install cooktop (approx $150)
- new electric space heater (Wall Mounted Electric Panel Heaters - eheat.com (Econo-Heat, Inc.) $107)

8. Finishes.
- Re-stain drawer fronts ($20)
- Re-upholster gaucho ($TBD, approx $100)
- Strip/sand blast light fixtures to polish (aluminum)
- new tires ($300?)
- new baby moon hubcaps
- maybe paint wheels

9. Polish exterior
Approx $500

10. CAMP*!

* at some point i need to insert step
#? - New Axle.
this will be done after plumbing but before finishing, as i need to get the trailer out of my dad's driveway. To do that, i need his help w/ plumbing first. I'm thinking ill take it to a dealer for installation of the axels on the way to my house... about an hour 1/2 away.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
sketches;

Old 01-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
ok, plans has been revised. new sketches w/ layout....

#1. floorplan.
#2. sideview. the thing on the right that looks like a wall is a closet.
#4 &5: side view and top-down view of showerpan. will have a 1.5" w x 3.5" H curb in doorway. funky little triangle shooting out of closet is showerhead.

cabinet / vanity will contain 25gal greywater tank.. closet will have 30 gal greywater. smaller tank will flush out blackwater tank. bigger tank will have its own release valve.

on top of the cabinet will be a small stainless vessel sink. entire bath is alum / SS (showerpan / flooring).

a rough sketch;

blackwater tank is existing. grey will both be new.
closet will also contain an on demand LP water heater & shower waste pump.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
WOW, looks like you scored an awesome GT, congratulations are in order! The GT is just such a perfect size/weight, especially around '62.

Quite a list you got there, too. I was fortunate to find a horse-work-trailer shop that put me a new complete Dexter axle on for $600 installed.

You will be able to find most of the information you need here on the forums....an amazing resource I never would have started without.

For ideas on renovating/restoring, Google David Winnick... look at what Uwe and others here have done, especially a guy named Carlos Ferguson. The level of craft and design is stunning with these guys...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
rick, i had actually seen carlos' trailer and read the entire thread. amazing work. took a look at winnick's stuff, also really nice.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
here's an update; last week we tested the appliances and made templates for the end caps. after much debate, we decided to remove the stove and fridge. the fridge is not nearly large enough for our needs, and the oven is only a waste of space for us. while we were at it, we figured we could add a foot of counter and storage space to the end , so we have removed everything. this was a bit more then i had bargained for... but so it goes.

so this weekend we begun stripping the zolotone. it was peeling in places, especially on the ceiling; i was considering soda blasting, but to sub it out was too expensive ($500 - $700 depending on how much material used) and i wouldn't be able to DIY as there are neighbors very close by (small lot, would blow everywhere).

based on recommendations from this forum, we started with citristrip. after testing another brand of stripper from sherwin williams, we decided to go back to home depot for more citristrip. while there, we picked up some KleenStrip (i think thats the name?) which was infinately better, faster and 'cleaner' if possible.

the gels (like citristrip) i found to only get through one layer at a time, and it came off in a soupy mess. the kleen strip almost like, dried it out - bubbled up , worked all the way through the layers, straight to the aluminum. also worked fairly quickly and came with a spray bottle for easy application.

this is how far we got; we'll need another day to finish up the ceiling, rivets, and crevices.

overall, i wish i was able to do the soda blasting instead. this was really messy, and after the cost of stripper, respirators, gloves, rags, steel pads, plastic scrapers, etc., i could have bought the soda blaster and 100lbs of material at harbor freight.... and i think (hope) it would have been faster too. this is the result of 20 man-hours; i expect another 15-20 to finish up.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I think the advice to restore, not remodel, is right on as you have found a trailer in AMAZING condition.

If you reconsider your counter top plan, check out this table support:

Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

a neat $20 option that might fit the bill
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote