Old 02-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Flight of the LadyBug - 1963

We have started a new thread to celebrate and share with you all our latest acquisition. 1963 Globe Trotter - LadyBug
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6864.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	32718

To start off the thread - here are a few facts and information of how LadyBug was named.....

At first glance of pictures from e-bay I thought of Rusty Rivette - but then thought she will not be rusty for ever.

As we got closer to the desitnation - we passed through Shelby County Indiana and thought great I will call her "LoveBug" We crossed that County Line and thus out the window that name went too.

Distracted for a few hours in getting her ready for the 600 mile trip home and the fact we had bigger dilemas to fix like getting a current title and the lights to work on the trailer....the naming of the Globe Trotter was put on hold....After a fabulous evening of laughter with some of the "Rivettes" during our token "Rivette Rush" (do a forums search to find out more on that score) We said our Good Byes and gave one last tour to "Towdaddy" And that is when I discoveredClick image for larger version

Name:	100_6902.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	32721

- There are nearly 5,000 different kinds of ladybugs worldwide and 400* which live in North America.*With one that now lives on our driveway.

- A female ladybug will lay more than 1000 eggs in her lifetime.of which 9999 hatched in LB's bulkhead cupboard.

- A ladybug beats its wings 85 times a second when it flies. The same amount of times the rivets get beaten with a dead axle.

- Aphids are a ladybug's favorite food.*Stephs (tinsista) Quiche is mine.

- Ladybugs chew from side to side and not up and down like people do. As does the LB when she is on the I65, I80, I90, I69.

- A gallon jar will hold from 72,000 to 80,000 ladybugs. As will a 19 ft 63 Globe Trotter with its Astrodome intact...

- Ladybugs make a chemical that smells and tastes terrible so that birds and other predators won't eat them. The same sort of smell and grit we found in LB...

- If you squeeze a ladybug it will bite you, but the bite won't hurt. If you Squeeze LB she will pop a dome with a bite worth $179.00.

- The spots on a ladybug fade as the ladybug gets older. As does LB's olympic rivets.

- During hibernation, ladybugs feed on their stored fat. As does LB's owner - moi

- Ladybugs won't fly if the temperature is below 55 degrees Fahrenheit. We can relate!

- The ladybug is the official state insect of Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Ohio, and Tennessee.OHIO LB's BirthPlace

- The male ladybug is usually smaller than the female. The brain at least!

- If you find a ladybug in your house in the winter you will have good luck. As LB will have with us adventures to come....and you just might find us on your driveway too....

Name:	100_6865.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	32719

More stories and pictures to come.....

Old 02-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Lady bug, cute as a bug. I have just learned more ladybug trivia than I can ever use in my lifetime.

Based on the condition my Tradewind was found, sitting in a field for god only knows how long. I should name her "Mouse Motel". 1 year later and I'm still finding presents in the nooks and crannies. I will pass on passing on micellaneous facts about the small rodents. Somehow I don't think they would be as romantic as bug facts.

In either case though the critters could be a lot worse.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
That is too kool, Nice rig too
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Cute as a bug's ear!

Lady Bug is GREAT! Congrats on a wonderful find! We are waiting for pictures now.... lots of interior before so we can see the after when it happens!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 02-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
It looks like your litte trailer found just the right new owners to appreciate the good luck it comes with. Gosh, it even looks like you undertook your adoption and retrieval with snow/slush on the roads. It will be fun to watch your pictures of the redo on your new baby.

Barry
Old 02-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Our driveway is always open

Great thread!! We are starting our Chinese new year right then cause we had a ladybug in our driveway so come on good luck!! Hope she flies back again soon for a visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
<snip>- Aphids are a ladybug's favorite food.*Stephs (tinsista) Quiche is mine.<snip>
Oh Sharon you are too sweet!! That was Paula Deen's quiche with blackforest ham instead of bacon and jarlsberg swiss, and some nutmeg. Takes about 15-20 min longer than the recipe says I used an instant read thermometer to get it right--has to be 160F internally hard to tell from the outside cause the cheese browns up so nicely on top.

Love this thread, great photos Sharon, I can not wait to see the decorating plans!!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Now you have the name lets see if I can give you the short version of how LadyBug came into our lives....

Chapter One

With a change in jobs and the loss of the winter Holidays and a terrible decision to sell MoonBeam we no longer had a little Globe Trotter. While the 61 Overlander is a great Airstream and will be our marvel retirement escape pod - it just does not have that "MoonBeam" or "LadyBug" cute factor.

On January 5th I gave my word to let MoonBeam Go. On January 14th I caught first site of "LadyBug" listed on E-bay - with a bid of $7.50, no reserve and within driving distance - this had definitely sparked my interest - until I saw the inside pictures - YUCK! The thrill of it got the better of me and I e-mailed for more pictures and was sent about 25 of them from the seller.

Hmm okay, not so bad....oh no that is scary, hey there are no big dents, no gouges, no huge scratches it is pretty good....oh YIKES what is that - as you can probably gather I was viewing the pictures from outside to inside, outside to inside and so on.....

The outside was as smooth as a LadyBugs shell and it was love all over again. The inside we just tried not to think about for two whole weeks until the auction was scheduled to finish. Still no bid from me - as I have my ways - while others were bidding and running up the price - giving everyone else time to bid higher - I was trying to value her and determine what my very top dollar would be.

With 45 seconds to go I popped my bid in - leaving no time for someone to change their minds and bid more - hoping that my top dollar would make it through all the "snipes" out there. She went 50 dollars over what I thought it was worth - but I had bid another wack of money to satisfy my "gut" feeling that she WILL BE MINE!

I was real nervous that I had not heard back from the seller - but he had gone away for the Super Bowl.
Then the whirl wind of preparations started....the infamous axle thread, shock mount mysteries, researching the best price on all the items we needed to get her home safely (keeping in mind I just sold everything with the MoonBeam - bad idea on that one).

Then the "Sistas" got wind I was blowing into town - so the Rivette Rush materialized - Peter and I had missed two Forum Rallies in MI and I was darned if I was going to miss a 3rd opportunity to at least get a little fix of the Michiganites - sorry it was not a week later we could have met even more...

Weather - a huge issue - they were forecasting the largest snowstorm to blow through our intended route this winter and the COLDEST "Clipper" as they called it to hit the Region in years.....and we were going to pick up a trailer in this...Us Canadians have some pretty big cahonas you know and a little snow was not holding us back.

As we get closer to the departure date - things start to go wrong...the dishwasher door breaks, the Yukon starts to leak engine coolant, the front end shudders and the brake fluid is dropping. Our intended drop off of MoonBeam also begins to dwindle, last minute repairs of the antenna, signal light not working then the brakes don't connect last minute decision - delivery cancelled and disappointed new owner! but one less worry for us. I was starting to get a real bad feeling...but the sistas gave me some good Karma..

Scheduled departure Thursday 16th am - Feb 14th - the largest snow storm hits the NorthEast! Hits us on the 15th. Parents are scheduled to baby sit the dogs and we have 4 inches of snow to clear (nothing compared to the New Yorkers wow!!) I get through 6 passes on the driveway and the belt goes on the SnowBlower!! now I am doing the rest by hand. And still no final decision that we are going or not. A sunny window appeared and we were a go.

Here are a few pics that appeared on e-bay and the ONE that caught my eye...

Chapter two to follow....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2a76_1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	32746   Click image for larger version

Name:	2c2d_1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	32747  

Name:	2e18_1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	32748   Click image for larger version

Name:	287b_1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	32749  

Name:	2187_1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	32750  
Old 02-20-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
It looks like you have some work ahead of you but nothing you weren't prepared for it would seem. Darned weather sure gets in the way sometimes. Just think how healthy you are from all that snow shovelling exercise though? Gotta get in shape to tackle the resto on the trailer. Great update, thanks for sharing.

Barry
Old 02-20-2007, 11:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Barry I have been eyeing your station wagon - what is it? and do you have more photos - looking for my next project already. A sweet ride to pull the LadyBug!!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Sharon, congrats on LadyBug! We had a similar situation when we got our Safari - ladybugs everywhere. A PO had left some windows open, and they had made themselves at home. We came close to naming her Ladybug too, but went with Sparky instead. Have fun with your new project.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Barry I have been eyeing your station wagon - what is it? and do you have more photos - looking for my next project already. A sweet ride to pull the LadyBug!!
Why thank you for the compliment. It is our automotive baby and has been with us a long time. The wagon is officially a 1957 Pontiac Star Chief Safar 2 Door Wagon - it's Pontiac's equivalent of Chevrolet's Nomad from 1955 to 1957. They are very rare (1,292 made in '57) as they were too expensive for a station wagon in the '50's for most people. I notice there's a 1958 in pretty decent shape for sale on Craig's list Seattle yesterday although it's a four door, it sure looks good and virtually ready to go and they as well are very rare. We love the wagon and bought it as a total wreck in 1981 and have redone it a couple of times. It has towed a lot of trailers (camping, car haulers, trips to the dump) and over the years we've drag raced it, used it as a second car, put a number of different power trains in it, and put about 200,000 miles on it. We use it extensively in spring,summer,fall for our non work related driving and have a ton of fun with it. We knew the moment we bought it we'd have to find the right Airstream to tow behind it, but we had already been looking for just the right Airstream in the mid 70's (we had a '55 BelAir Convertible, a 70 Chevelle SS as well as other cars) and it just took us a long time to find just the right trailer.

Now and then a '55-57 Safari two door wagon shows up for sale but they are now huge dollars. I see absolute wrecks selling on eBay from time to time for several thousand dollars - we paid a fraction of that when we bought ours and today probably have less than $12,000 in it total. We've had some pretty silly offers including an offer to go to a fellows Pontiac/GMC dealership and picking any SUV they have, loaded up, in exchange for the car, which the owner wanted and he hasn't given up the pursuit.

I'll see what I have for pictures and if nothing shows up in my files I'll take a couple more. And thanks again for asking.
Barry
Old 02-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #12
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Lady Bug is great! When we moved into our antique farmhouse we had lots of lady bugs flying around so we too have a soft spot for them. Congrats on your new baby!

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
An interesting thing with ladybugs. Our municipality has realized the benefits of ladybugs and butterflys being an agriculture area, and have breeding/nesting facilities set up and release them by the thousands each year. We get a few in the house, I get a bunch in the shop where the Airstream is stored so that's a good thing I'm learning from you guys.

Barry
Old 02-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Chapter Two - Were OffClick image for larger version

Name:	100_6847.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	32811 Just a quick stop to pick up the hub cap that was left off from the rear brake cylindar job.

Playing it a little safe we waited until around noon to head out on Feb 16th - giving the top of Toronto enough time to clear the snow and give the roads a chance to dry a bit from the big storm the day before. Perfect timing! If only we could have got things sorted out with MoonBeam it would have been a nice trip for her last time with us....

A beautiful sunny day but really really really cold - one of the coldest days this winter (if you can call this a winter??) Said goodbyes to our 3 puppies who were very confused but we new they would be fine. We just explained that we were going to buy them a new Mobile Holiday Couch and they understood right away.

Ran into heavy traffic at the DVP so we detoured off onto the 407 at the 400 and sailed across the top of Toronto. What a difference that makes for all you travelers out there Pay the toll and run from just out side Milton to the West all the way to Brock Road Pickering - coming out at Taunton - which you can run east to the 115 North right to our place for a quick Courtesy Parking - or drop down to the 401 to run through Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa and Bowmanville.

Settled into a nice sunny drive andBAM! a rock hits the windshield scares the daylights out of Peter and Myself who was driving, of course with the luck we were having it leaves a crack. We kept our fingers crossed in this cold that she would not shatter across the whole windshield but she held steady. We hit a bit of Lake effect snow in the Cambridge area and some drifting snow with a few minor white outs. Several hours later we were crossing into Michigan at Sarnia heading toward Elkhart Indiana our first nights destination. The US Border Patrol was very pleasant and took all of 30 seconds.

It was a long drive for one day but we were on a mission! We were really tempted to change our plans and land up either at Carols, Wheel Interested or Stephs, Tinsista for the night - but unfortunately that would have thrown the whole schedule right off. It was important for us to reach Elkhart as we had some serious shopping to do in the morning at Camping World and RVS - the most important item being the new hitch system (did I mention I sold everything with the MoonBeam!!!).

Early to rise the next morning from a nice evening at the Comfort Inn - no fancy meals McD's was the fastest and safest for us. The morning temps were a balmy 10F with a wind chill that could freeze you solid in 10 seconds. The Yukon groaned to a start - we checked the coolant and she was good. Two minutes down the road there was an annoying metal on metal sound - oh no we have issues again. We need to stop and check the oil sounds like we have run dry of oil (not hard to do in our non mechanical family!) Nope oil was good - but Peter comes around with a little mirror in his hand - "this might have been what was rattling and making the noise" our friend had left his Mirror that he used to find the coolant leak resting somewhere in the engine compartment.....

After that little scare everything went like clockwork (shopping and me always does!!) Even when I was disappointed that I would not be able to get my new Blue Tote Low Sillouhette from Battle Creek we were pleasantly surprised to see them still available at CW and for $63.00 but when we checked out it rang in as $49.00 what a huge savings from $112.00. Within 2 hours we were back on the road to Lowell our targeted early afternoon stop to pick up LadyBug.

A quick call ahead we found the poor fellow was out in the cold hacking away at the ice that had formed at the door and clearing all the snow up to the Pole Barn where LB was hanging out since "End Auction" Day 28th of Jan. We just caught Dale coming in for lunch, we were just east of the I65 turn off and would be no more than 20 minutes from the planned meeting place.....so we thought. Then it happened the "snakes nest effect" I80, I90, I65, Hwy 51, East, West all merging to one big fat confusion OMG how do you guys keep all these roads straight!!

Now there is one small problem - we don't have any fancy GPS and our Wal-Mart Atlas was sitting neatly on its shelf - AT HOME - so we were running with the hmmm *&^%$ Mapquest Map printout. Your looking for I65 but there are 3 road signs before you even see the sign for I65 that you have to take to get to I65 then add about 10 transports in a row that block every sign you should have seen and we are safely on our way to Chicago unbeknown to us. What should have been a 4 mile trip to the turn off was taking a lot longer. I am going to have to fire the navigator! 10 minutes up to Chicago and we figured out we missed the turn off - got turned around and made it 20 minutes later to our meeting spot.

We felt very privileged having an escort into to where our new purchase was. Good thing because we would have been traveling around Lake County, Lowell for the rest of our lives....

No LadyBugs here yet just huge Butterflies with anticipation of the pole barn door opening - Now for all you e-bay'rs out there you know the feeling I am talking about - the one that your head plays tricks with you psycho killer lures Canadian Airstream Nuts to Pole Barn - found frozen to death 10 days later. Or how about OMG the frame is hanging out and dragging on the ground - I knew we should have brought a flat bed! Or, he never said anything about the other side of the trailer completely missing! ......finally as the door swings wide open we both look at each other with grins from ear to ear! and take a huge sigh of relief.......

Our first peak - with Ladybugs new rubber shoes set at the door....there she was.....

Name:	100_6848.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	32812Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6851.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	32813

Stay tuned for Chapter Tree - The Road Prep -

Tags