Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #21
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up You've got it going on girl!!

Sharon you have a great eye! I love the combined colors/fabrics you put together! Can't wait to see how it comes together!!
Old 02-24-2007, 08:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Congratulations!

We'll all be watching for the sequel chapters.....Love your theme scheme!

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
...And so it begins.....female tinkering as I call it.

You ditch the rags, vacuum, sponges and cloths for some items that have a bit more substance to them like...a hammer, scrappers, screw driver (hey did you know that there is all sorts of difference screw drivers - but only ONE was used in these Airstreams)

SLOT SLOT SLOT FLAT FLAT FLAT - it is a wonder we see so many people take sledge hammers at the beginning of their restoration. What with 1000's of rivets and slot head screws that is enough to put anyone over the edge

I can just see how this project is going to go 4 screws to take out 3 fine and the last one "Honey are you doing anything right now??? uh I umm can't get this one screw out - it is RUSTED SOLID and it is one of those *&^% FLAT HEADS and I don't want to &^%$ it up for you " calmly expressed at the top of my voice for the entire wilderness to hear me....

A couple of hours later - oooohhhh Honeeeyyyyy.....

So what have I managed to do thus far.

Selected a wide range of tools from the garage and made up my own Woman tool box - with a note to the HD that says if you can not find something it is in the 63 - or I may have left it in the 61 or it could be in the house.

Can anyone guess what this is?Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6953.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	33065

Look you can see straight through Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6955.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	33066 I bet you are saying how'd she do that - be inside the trailer taking a picture of her hand under the trailer through the pooper hole????

Good thing we did not have an emergency stop on the way home with this baby - could just imagine what would have been on the ticket

There is something missing here? Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6962.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	33068

Oh look that is a great spot for that - maybe someone was hoping to fire up the 12 volt system on poop fumes Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6956.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	33067 I take it that this is the old thedford style that needs replacing.

Oh and that also could have been the noise we heard on the way home on I65. Another piece of aluminum fell off underneath - there was two when we started out but now there is none. Not sure if this would be original - two squares one under the tub and one under the toilet/black tank cut out with a panel slide in bracket???.

Started removing all the little window clips and springs and broken PLASTIC curtain rails what is left of them anyway.

Next was my pathetic attempt at removing the side goucho. That is where the story of the "screws" come in - it was actually real save the small point that Peter is at work and I can not yell that loud for him to come home and remove this one last screw so I could move onto finishing removing the tiles. I can not even budge the screws that go into the floor - and I am a strong woman!!! Any tricks someone would like to hint. besides cutting wheels. Don't tell me you have to drill all these suckers out??...and fellas here is my first casualty Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6958.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	33074 ouch I almost had to go to emerg and how many layers of skin did I go through?????

Okay so lets move onto something different that I can remove. Like the little medicine cabinet in the back - Wow that is original and Airstream got someone to make these exclusively for them - they saw that person coming...

Any Vintage Purists out there that would like to make me an offer for this little baby???Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6925.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	33070 An "Omni Chest"

And this would not be your typical restoration thread without the picture of the "Found Items" So here is what we have found thus far.....Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6969.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	33069 Can you name all the items and their uses?

NOPE the baby moons are not up for grabs. They more than likely will be going back on the original wheels as the Overlander is missing two wheels right now

Has anyone tackled restoring the old shower faucets??
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6980.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	33071

And while on the subject of bathrooms - is there a trick to getting this drip rail off the back of the tub??? - Gosh that tub is awful looking - almost looks like Charles Manson has been in there

Name:	100_6972.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	33073Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6971.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	33072

Well that is it for now - I think I will get the measuring tape out and square pad to see how much weight I have to loose to fit into the new suggested "watercloset" - or see if we have the space for the Water Heater and the shower pan behind the wheel well.

LadyBug - signing off kissh kisshch.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
oh I forgot this beautiful find....

Name:	100_6907.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	33076

You might find this on e-bay one day

Original "Aristream" Art starting bid $50.00 US
Old 03-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1963 19' Globetrotter
Graham , Texas
Hey Sharon , waiting for your next chapter I sure hope your not frozen.

Jill
hantri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
I have a few items that someone out there might be able to restore and use if you happen to be looking for these.

What a perfect pair Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7401.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	37987

An Aquamagic III toilet

The hot water tank - No Vent we are keeping that to retrofit the new HWT. Have no idea if this old one still works - but it is too big and messin up my interior design idea - so out it goes. Heading to the dump unless someone would like me to put it aside as with these other items.

Have a Tapan Stove - there are some salvage parts on it - like the top grill plates, the centre knob only - Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6915.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	37983others carried off by the lady bugs I presume. If your door is crappy this one is good just needs the pull replaced or re-chromed.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7392.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	37985 Have the chrome inner plates too but they need restoring. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7393.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	37986Have several other parts that may or may not work but if you need something let me know and I will put it aside.

Lastly I have the fresh water tank with mounts and straps but no spout - with a matching pressure pump not sure if it works but good for parts.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7406.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	37988Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7423.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	37990

Sorry not like others who list all at once. Just listing the parts we know we are not using or will be loaded for the dump run.

Let me know quick as the trailer is being loaded for tomorrow - and 1:00pm will be the deadline on the items above.

I know they look pretty hmmm toast but there are some parts that are good still.....

PS stay tuned for an update on the LadyBug.......
Old 05-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Lets see where did I leave off......"female tinkering" I think it was.

Tinker be not and honker down. Unlike some real lucky folk out there restoring their vintage beauties in beautiful weather and amazing garages rigged to the nines......we have come to the realization that we have way more challenges than just the Vintage trailer restoration

With a really really really long and cold back side of winter we lost over a month and a half in comparison to our last GT restoration.

Unfortunately I have a date with some pretty neat women and that date is coming far too quick. So I had to sit the Hubster down and do some serious prioriZing.

1. I need to get there - in any condition But first before anymore rivets sheer and the shell starts falling off down the road new running gear is in order. She came with a 3200# 12" hubs and brakes - which was a bit odd - we wanted the bigger brakes but that meant a special order - and of course we never have enough time. Knowing that we were adding a few extra items we decided another 600# capacity would do just fine. So we went with the 4000# It meant that the axle bar would be slightly bigger and have a higher mounting bracket.

The choices we had....

a) $1100 +shipping from you know where
b) $400 + $150 shipping & labour for the install - Shocks mounts incl as well as a 1600 mile round trip opposite direction
and then there was c) the route we chose....$337 for a complete torsion axle identical to the previous axle we had made for the 69. Tied in the pickup trip with some serious shopping at RVS and a micro Rivette Rush to pick up a bonus find here at the forums - a perfect 1993 Dometic Fridge I had shipped from California. Took 3 days $200 in gas - with over 1500.00 in parts coming back with us at a value of over $3000 - so our savings was huge and paid for our gas 4 times over - along with a real treat we got to travel with Happer Campers and if you think we can powershop you should see them!!!

So the axle story.....$160 for the old shocks to be cut off cleaned up and remounted onto the new axle by a local fellow who has been a welder for 30+ years with GM and now has is own business.

Small hiccup - it is known that most I repeat most vintage axles on the Aristreams have the mounting bracket facing forward and also a high profile - hmmm not the GT 63 - as it turns out she had the long portion facing to the front and her mounting bracket was flush with the bar. You can see the difference in the pictures below.

The good thing is that new holes had to be drilled anyway - and we were able to use the rear hole.

It did give Peter a bit of a start though as he placed the axle with the brackets facing they way they should - and then saw the problem - the wheel is way too far forward and the torsion arms are facing the wrong way!

Turned it around did a bit of cutting on the bar flange for the beafier axle to fit and we have a perfect fit.

She is riding about 3 inches higher than when we picked her up with a negative up angle. She should come down about an inch or so once all the interior is replaced.

all in all we are very please and can immediately tell the difference jumping around inside.

Name:	100_7531.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	38000

Name:	100_7538.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	38001

Name:	100_7551.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	38002

Name:	100_7553.jpg
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	38003

Name:	100_7574.jpg
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	38004

Name:	100_7576.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	38005

Name:	100_7580.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	38006 It has been a while but here is a pick of her profile when we picked her up - same wheels and tires......Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6890.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	38007

2. I prefer not to have to sleep on the floor with an umberella! So the leaks have to get under control.
Someone cut us another break making the leak search pretty easy
.....Back window - ha no glass - big leak. With new gasket from VTS (what a breeze that stuff is for the windows what a perfect fit!!!!!) Why anyone would waist their time with silicone when a 5 minute job with brand new gasket would do the trick - is beyond me.

......Rear Vent - no fan and big source for roof leak - coming from a woman what a silly set up that is. Why they did not make a flange that sat on the roof line rather than between and fill a crack with vulkem - is hmm shall we say....okay lets not say.... Did the plant tour last week and picked up a new fantastic vent to replace leaky vent. I want to make a point that this company has customer service SECOND TO NONE!!!! Thanks for the tour guys and all the help and extra parts we came away with

......another no brainer with locating a leak new skylight to replace hmmm where the *&^% did the other one go, okay to fill a big fat gaping hole that had nothing there but open sky. I tossed this idea around a bit - replace with another fan, or the fancy replicas from VTS. But then I thought what do I like about camping if I can ever get there - star gazing - what do I like about a trailer - open and bright. Result - clear lexan fixed dome skylight flush mount to the roof and trimmed out to the ceiling. Will fab a fancy ceiling blind if it gets too hot - but the new FV should take care of that in a 15'X7' area real quick. There is lots of windows and the door has the cool screen door in door that will provide lots of air flow.

....and one last leak - that is coming from the drip cap above the front window presumably where the original window guard was mounted and re-mounted and mounted again and again. So that is a temporary fix with some parbon until I can get to that job of taking down and re-riveting a new guard on and sealing her up nicely.

3. Rotting wood smell and &^%$ awful walls.
......inspect the floor and replace rotted bits - all the while through late spring I have been keeping all fingers and toes crossed as to the level of floor rot. PS. for those not in the know - you will never know until you get the guts out and check the edges where the c-channel is - that is where the coach is tied together. This means taking some of the interior panels off where you have suspicion. A good test is to hack away at the floor with a screw driver and see if it goes through anywhere. If it does you can bet the carriage bolts will be rusted and that section needs replacing.

(Okay if I had bags of money oodles of time, car hoists up the ying yang and 3 husbands with a huge big heated shop I may have demanded a whole new floor ) But realistically she is good and solid 90% keeping in mind too that they only used 5/8's inch ply - someone in the Airstream God's palace was looking down on LadyBug! All of the oldies have issues, some worse than others. Her big sis next door will need at least 50% of her floor replaced BUT the LB is in need of a tuck in the front and a tuck in the back and a lift at the side. Windows being the culprit in the front and back and the fridge compartment door being the culprit at the side.

Will be treating the floor with a Rot Doctor equivilant to stiffen some of the top ply back up and seal her up as well as seal up the floor from the old tile residue that contains asbestos. I was lucky there too not too much work as most of the tiles were gone. Had some glue to heat gun off and the rest is good and stuck. Then new floor will be lap jointed and spliced for added strength. She will be ready for her new laminet flooring hopefully next week sometime.

......Walls are hmm after a wicked cleaning are just too messy and damaged to look real nice. I am not into the Zolatone re-do, but the existing paint will make for a great base. I have decided to go with a "Grass Cloth" paint technique - to give the interior some lines and stretch her out a bit.

Safety is the last bit I can manage to get done before the RSSR. So all new marker lights, breakaway switch and chains should compliment the new tires, wheels and axle just nicely.

The 63 GT is a very simple design for the plumbing, propane and electrics - with most of it running on the floor behind cabinets and closets, in the skirt of the tub etc. Should make for some easy lessons for me from the Hubster if he has any patience left by then

Stay tuned for the gallery of new parts.....almost like going to a fashion show
Old 05-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
....I know I know.....I was supose to be doing this all by myself.. I never said I would do ALL the physical work - that is why I got married

Sorry gals there is just some things we need brute strength for and doing that axle in the conditions we have here - I had to conceed.

Okay I confess he seriously helped with removing the bath tub, toilet and hot water tank. But I have certainly done my share of Slot Screw removal - another "Man Invention!!! "

I do not want to see another slot screw as long as I live! Philip and Robie must have been at the front of the line when they where handing out "Man Brain"

So between the two of us we have managed to get LadyBug to this stageClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7554.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	38008Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7534.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	38013

Here is one of the easier jobs I was able to manage - removing mac tac from the inside cupboards. Thank goodness they did not do the whole trailer with the stuff!Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7544.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	38011

And here is one of Peter's easy jobs - okay not so easy and now he is resting from wresting the old axle off with the expression *&- (^%$- $## with a piece of glass Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7542.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	38010

Okay so I gave him that one and proceeded to the house to get a nice cool beer for him

What was a huge bonus - we took it along with the new axle on Friday to the fellow down the road - expecting it to be ready next week - Peter is on Holidays this week. We got a call first thing Saturday that it was ready and by Sunday she was sporting her fancy NEW SHOES!

Big hugs and kisses to my guy.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Great going... We are way behind you on this restoration.. looking great.. what flooring did you go with???
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
We may be ahead but you have less I think - wait lets see - you have a 30 footer - yikes almost double ours

First being on Holidays gets me all messed about on my days. We took the axle in on Thursday and it was Ready Friday Morning - and the axle was in by the end of the day Saturday.

Today it is pouring rain - so a good time to work inside the trailer. I finished removing the rest of the items and drilled out the 3 of four wall panels. A bit more plumbing had to be cut and two plugs and light switches were removed - to reveal two results of water leaks.

Turns out the Fridge vent is one big huge source of the leaking that has rotted out a section of the floor along the side.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7583.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	38023

The front is not as damaged as we thought with only two small pieces needing replacing - both have no structural value but Peter will be lagging and lapping them into place - which will last longer than my life time for sure.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7584.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	38024

My job of course is to get the leaks under control - this means the complete removal of the fridge vent and housing. A bit of restoration on the fridge vent new seal and rivets and she will be as good as new.

And here is the best deal yet.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7518.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	38028Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7514.jpg
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	38029

For the ladies out there - here is an update on the decor. I have had to change the colour scheme slightlyClick image for larger version

Name:	LadyBug colour scheme.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	38025

I was going to do the walls Moss - but then I found a huge role of..... Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7522.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	38026 for only $75.00 - I saw the two couches recovered along with extra covers for the dogs and just had to change around the colour scheme to meet the pocket book.

Here is the second couch to replace the goucho. I have some fabricating to do but we came up with a great solution. This no legged flip couch will be mounted on the old goucho sliders. There will be "wings" the best way to explain on each side to make the couch 84" wide - as it is 73" at the edge of the original shelf - which we are keeping. The old goucho pulled out to 46". We are extending the bed by 9.5 inches to bring it to 55.5 inches deep.
First you will pull the whole couch out on the sliders - then it will flip down flat and meet up with the stationary section over the water tank. I am thinking of a 2 inch memory foam rollup that will have a zippered sheet bottom. This will stow behind the couch - it will custom fit the shape of the "huge front bed" along with a comforter or just a sheet if it gets real hotClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7523.jpg
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	38027 The couch height will be perfect and will not stick way above the shelf like you see in so many other restorations. I will still get my 4 drawers underneath and it will just have a modern look to the old style goucho.

Now the same concept will be employed for the side Goucho - the couch Ella has donated to the cause. It will be 53 inches wide to maintain a reasonable path to the bathroom at night. The drawer front will have a custom wood facing made to match the front goucho but will be one big drawer. Both will be recovered in the same material and pattern - as they are very similar now.

All the lights (although ugly squares) will be restored and painted the Aisian Silk. Along with all the window trim pieces and possibly the curtains. With a couple of throw blankets.

The wet sand is what we have now chosen for the interior skin. But two tone in order to obtain the grass cloth effect.

The wood (existing that has made it through the years) as well as some doner pieces from ella will be stripped and given the cabernet stain.

The laminet flooring is a raised grain pine board look. Seems everyone goes for the maple strip laminet and I just wanted to be different but give the trailer that "Flight Barn" look.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7581.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	38021

The wording on the paint chip board was exactly what we were looking for in this next trailer. (hopefully a keeper this time). The tones are earthy and each one can be found on a particular spieces of "LadyBug" and we have no shortage of ladybugs in that trailer - they are everywhere.

We are going with Lexan sliders in all three upper cupboards (colour TBA) and strip lighting inside the cupboard - that will be the "house" lights switched at the door entrance.

....More updates to follow.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
I am afraid we are doing nothing really fancy pants - like all new designs and innovative electrics etc - just your plain and simple updates and getting things back in working order so that we can use the trailer.

Mostly it is a big project to keep me from getting bored with life and to be able to say "I did that"....

Still working on sealing up the leaks and functionality at the same time.

Fridge vent was one project has just been completed.
I had to do some putty, resin and fiberglass work on the old vent cover.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7603.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	38322Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7604.jpg
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	38323Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7626.jpg
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	38324

Thought of putting ss washers over the holes that were all cracked

Name:	100_7622.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	38330

- the cover was no heck to begin with but at least it will last a few more years untill someone comes up with a nice fancy aluminum one that will not break the bank.

Got all the things ready

Name:	100_7627.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	38325
compounded the area somewhat to get a nice clean surface

Name:	100_7628.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	38326
installed the housing and then the cover.

Name:	100_7634.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	38327

Don't particularily like being up on the ladder!!! and must get myself set up with some scaffold.
[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7668.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	38332[/ATTACH]

All in all I am pleased with my very first attempt at drilling near the airstream, removing old parts, doing my best to restore them and even better re-installing them too.

Have to clean up the area and touch up and give the cover it's final coat of paint. but that will all be done when we move to the exterior. For now the goal is NO LEAKS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_7637.jpg
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	38331  
Old 05-31-2007, 03:13 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Next on the list was the marker lights.

Spent a bit of time twidling thumbs on this one - could not decide if I should use the old bases or not. So while I was thinking about it I restored the old bases - turns out just for the fun of it...cause at the last minute I said nope - I don't want RUST so we are going with the new aluminum ones.

I had to drill out the holes to accept the olympic rivet as well as drill new holes for the wire housing. Also placed a small gromet to protect the wire from chaffingClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7669.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	38335

Instead of vulkum I used the aluminum parbon - a little easier to work with for the small area to seal. The old large hole will be fill from the inside as well with the aluminum window seal tape. Probably does not need it but to be on the safe side.

Installed the baseClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7671.jpg
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	38336 and the lense coverClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7672.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	38337 ...just had a problem with one rivet - hitting a wall stud and did not gather properly - so I have to assess that situation with the Hubster as the rivet is just a bit loose - I am thinking drill it out - and drill the out skin rivet out too - one person pull the stud out while the other pops the new rivet in and it will grab right - then re-rivet the skin again. But we shall see what the"man's" take is on it

I also think I will wait for Hubster to get home and show me what to do with the stems on the olympic rivet. Would love one of those rivet shavers but nope not happening either.

I am trying to keep the costs of this trailer down as much as possible.

Got a semi quote on someone doing the gelcoat and fiberglass work on the tub and black tank and just about fell off my shoes.....so another project will be added to my list. (being around boats most of my life I know it is fairly easy - just labour intensive to sand to perfection. I have been complimented before on my drywall work - so the "finish" is the key with the tub and sinks too.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Still moving right along on the holes

Next was to get started on the skylight hole. Check this stuff out - looks like the tar residue from one of the Star Trek Next Generation shows where they all get sucked into the tar pit.

Name:	100_7663.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	38338

The PO must have been really frustrated with this puppy leaking and decided what the heck I will put it everywhere....

I picked up a jug of Aircraft stripper for some of the tough things on my list. It just eats right through this stuff saving me a ton of time and frustration scraping it off.

Name:	100_7664.jpg
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	38339

I just got started scraping after the stripper had worked for 1/2 hour and boom it started to pour with rain - they were calling for it but not until later - so I just ran out of time. I did not have time to tape anything back up - and the stripper will have already worked on the joints too. So this was my best solution for now!

Name:	100_7675.jpg
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	38340

Once Taz tha black Lab stops freaking with the Thunder I can still get back out there and continue scraping the black tar off and then drill out the skylight housing.

Things are moving along - slowly but steady. I sure hope the weather cooperates.

But then I have so many little projects - I can keep going no matter what. Even to the point of cleaning and priming the wall skins even though they are off.

I think the LadyBug looks rather cute with a hat on what do you think???
Old 06-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
You are a fabulous and fascinating woman! It's a pleasure to read your thread - lots of laughs, pics, and progress- just what keeps me "riveted"!!

Love her hat !!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Oh gosh Tanya you are going to make my head swell up

This is a lot of fun although I am pooped by the end of the day.

No pictures to show my efforts of the day today. But my hands and arms are sore again.

Got the coat of Poyeurethane on the floor, ready for the acrylic sealant. Then I can move onto the flooring - but not before we get all the panels back in.

Sanded all the wall panels that are off right now and then the remaining ones in the trailer. One of the panels was so bad with some stuff that had dripped - so if I painted it you would see the drips. And they say the paint job is as only as good as the surface prep!!! So I had to strip the whole panel and then will sand it to get it smooth.

I sure do not know what they made that Zolatone with but you could probably use it on the outside of the heatsheild on Voyager.

Managed to squeeze in the cleaning with tsp ready for me to lay on the white primer.

There is a lot of painting to do - as I plan on painting all the window trim pieces the accent colour rather than the main colour. I was thinking of stripping them all and leaving them shinny aluminum - but quickly found out that the Airstream workers in those days did not take care in avoiding scratching the poop out of it as it was all going to be sprayed with Zolatone. So plan B.

Also sealed up all the marker lights inside and out with gutterseal - that stuff is really cool! everyone should have some on hand. It really does wick into open spaces for a perfect seal - and is easly cleaned with WD40 on a rag.

Another long day tomorrow - painting - and then it is time to start working on the windows - striping the old vulkum and whatever other attempts to seal the leaks up. That Gutter seall might just be the ticket for the new seal too.

I need to start cleaning the inside window frames ready for the new seals too. And then work on some of the cranks.

Ooops see what happens you can easily stray from the goal - leaks leaks leaks.....Still have the plumbing stacks to take care of - and compound the joints around the skylight so that I can seal up the seams.

Will post more pics tomorrow....
Old 06-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Sharon, I just cracked up laughing when I saw the market umbrella standing in the skylight hole, deflecting the rain I imagined myself caught up there with a hole in the roof, the rain falling down, and looking around until my eye spied the umbrella in the nearby patio table. Ah ha! A stylin' Airstream, if you ask me. Really, an impressive list of jobs outlined and tackled. Congrats! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #37
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Sharon you are an inspiration!!
I love the umbrella too...you know Georgia when I saw that photo of Sharon and the umbrella work I flashed back to that song by the Beatles, you know "I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in..."

But now did you folks know that Sharon's talents are musical as well? Here's photographic evidence from a recent border crossing!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	canadian brass band.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	38631  
Old 06-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
"Don't let the rain come down; oh no, don't let the rain come down. Don't let the rain come down; my roof's got a hole in it and I might drown. . ." And so on. Good thing you can't hear me sing! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
checking out your work

Hello Sharon & Peter,
Just noticed your tread on the new project. I met both of you at the Florida State Rally a few years ago and then again at Paradise Airstream Park few a few days of post rest and relaxation. This is Gary with the 62' Safari from Maine. I am still working on the old girl and almost finished most of the real detail work. Since you are working on the windows annd astrodome I will send a few photos along for inspriation.

We had to remove lots of gobbed on by hand paint and stripped the window frames discovering that the bare aluminum was very easy to polish (once the paint was removed. That was done with zip strip type paint remover and plastic edged tools, steel wool etc.
On the astrodome I converted it to a Wally hatch. That demanded much more of my brain power and therefore took a long time to do.
Just through you might enjoy look at someone else's work. So keep up the tread so we can follow along. I will be looking for you at a future rally.
Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	polished frames 001.jpg
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	38641   Click image for larger version

Name:	astrodome 001 - Copy (3).jpg
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	38642  

safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
Hello Sharon & Peter,..... This is Gary with the 62' Safari from Maine......
OMG look what the wind blew in! How the heck are ya??? So did you ever make it home on that long relaxation trip you were on.

A lot has happened in the airstream scene with us since then. When we got home we landed the 99 Excella wreck, then the 61 Overlander - worked on the 69 forever and then decided to sell it - changed our minds and then Peter let it go for full asking price. Then "I" paniced and I found another GT, this one on ebay - played the game and to my amazement I won with only mere seconds left.

Now we are up to our eyeballs in trailer restorations/renos with nothing ready to go. The Overlander is all set with running gear but leaks like a sive.

This little GT is well on her way in getting all her leaks sealed up.

I am envious of your window frames!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7727.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	38655

? did your windows have the original zolatone??? or someones other kind of paint?

How many years did it take you to strip one window? Mine are all scratched up underneath the zolatone - I think the 63 GT's were the econo line where they picked out of the scrap bin the parts the International models would not use I like the aluminum - but once I get the outside polished I think I will have had my fill of aluminum

Now your fancy astrodome is rather cool. We chose and easier route - and decided to give our selves one less thing on the check list to worry about. "Honey did you remember to shut the Astrodome??? - or is that the remenants I see in the side mirror going down the road ?"

We went with a clear lexan dome that will be permanently flanged to the roof - no leaks, no cranks and I can see the stars at night from both beds or couches. To match we went with a clear lexan lid for the new Fantastic Vent as well. I will make a fancy blind to pull over if it gets too hot.

Peter has a new job now working 18 minutes away from home, but has now no winter vacation - so the airstream traveling has become basically a hobby at fixing them instead - with antisipation of traveling again.

Mean time it is I (Sharon) who gets to play with this one - and Peter will move to his Overlander (retirement project) once the big "Man" helper items on my list are done. If he asks nicely I might help where I can with the Overlander too - like design work, decor and detailing....

Our offer is always open - anytime you are up this way you be sure to stop in and stay a while - we would love to catch up with you.

Tags