Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Here are some pics of the door in door.

Looks not bad from this angle - not all cleaned up yet Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8288.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	40632

But then you take a close look - and see all the pits I am talking about - it is like they used the thing for a window gard for 43 years.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8293.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	40630Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8291.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	40631

Also for all you polish wizards. What do you use for the hard places like the edge of the door - you just can't get a big bonnet in those areas??? There must be some small tool out there that is around 1500rpms???? Other than doing it by hand - YIKES - I will be 80 by the time I finish..

Oh yes another question - as you see these pits - is it possible to keep compounding to cut them out with a courser polish??? Or is that what I should expect with a vintage unit??

Old 09-21-2007, 10:09 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
WOW!!! where has the time gone....

Before we get into an update - which is not very much really....I have been terribly remiss in thanking many people for all the little LadyBug souvies I have acquired over the summer...

So here are a few pics of what will be traveling with her....

Windsock from Steph - TinSistaClick image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3042.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	45835

Cute carpet from moiClick image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3043.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	45836

Clock from moi, dish towel from HappyCampers and the little cast iron weight from hubby.Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3046.jpg
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	45837

that would be moi sporting a new LB shirt from Annie - Happy CampersClick image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3051.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	45838

Cute one here - I bought this one for my Mom - and I had a little puppy - so when we got the LB Mom insisted that I have the LadyBug chime back and she take the Puppy.....ahhhhClick image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3069.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	45839

Also posted over at the Silver Sisters Onlin Rally - a really nice card from Lou's amazing stamping talents...and a wonderful surprise when it arrived.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8320.jpg
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	45840Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8321.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	45841

Get a load of this sweet little garden sticker - which he has already traveled and been posted at our site on our holiday - Mr. LadyB OMGClick image for larger version

Name:	100_8536.jpg
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	45842

A great find for the crabbies I like to serve as snacks - thanks a bunch Sue - with love from CupCake!Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8719.jpg
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	45843

And the talent abounds with these Rivettes - we should take the show on the road for sure. LB has her very own do all hand knitted pot holders, dusters, dish clothes, brow wipers, hot plate coasters - wine dripping coasters, emergency hat and quick parts cover in case of emergency taps on the door - tee hee - I think I need a third one Jamie They are reall really nice.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8716.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	45844

....but wait there is more...

Old 09-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
......okay back for an second showing cause Mr. LB is just so so cuteClick image for larger version

Name:	100_8538.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	45854

Then there is the romantic aspect - sorry the pic is a bit blurry - not telling why Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9001.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	45849

Haily is thinking there are far to many bugs in the trailer! A great find by Lou W. which she handed off to me at the Rally in Apple Creek....
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9054.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	45850

these are little LadyBug Kisses I found - and passed them out to special new friends - so if you don't have one yet....it is because we have not met yet Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9206.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	45851

Eveyone has magnets - cause they just tell you who you are and where you have been.....Had a matching set of the little bug - but ask WheelInterested - it was really late and I dropped one just before the cash register and blew an eyeball there was only two to begin with - Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9207.jpg
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	45852

And of course I have to have my little door flag to replace the MoonBeam one and found it a few weeks ago at the coop -when I was picking up the dog food...Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9484.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	45853

I missed the other carpet in the shape of a round bug red with black spots that I am standing on.

I also picked up some Wallies they will be cool and I will put a few on the walls once she is all painted up inside.

The Hubby also bought me a little belt loop watch - that you press the antennas and the wings spread open to reveal the watch...

Well that is it for my souvies and the lovely little things people find and send me - you are all so really nice and thoughtfull

Why even yesterday Tinsista's card arrived with guess what on it - yep LadyBugs...

Soon I will have to give you an update on what we have been doing with and doing to the LadyBug.....
Old 10-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Lets see where are we at with the LadyBug!

The last substantial reporting - was just prior to me heading out on my first solo trip, and both Peter and I working day and night just to get her "Road worthy" , all the leaks taken care of - the wiring re done, new stationary skylight and Fantastic Vent installed, along with all new running gear and exterior lights.....

Then the best and worse summer all in one began...I'll tell you all about that over a drink or 10!!

Nevertheless it has been a very trying summer and very stressful - and the only thing that has given us great joy is our Little Airstream - it has in a way kept us semi focused although we have slowed right down on the restoration for various reasons. She is still the focal point of our view out the window.

So this is what we have done since my Solo Trip to Ohio.

Took the walls off again to finish the wiring - of some of the 12 volt accessories. Such as the waterpump, stereo, wire up for the water heater etc.

We were scheduled for the MetDet Rally at Apple Creek - and were rushing again - but turned out that I went by myself and bunked in with Wheel Interested as Peter had to work that weekend. So he had bags of time to get a big jump start on her again - but upon my return from my second week of being AWOL in Michigan - nothing had been done. I should have suspected something then but did not.

With only one week before we were scheduled to leave on our vacation....
.........the trailer had no windows in it (save the back one)
........we almost lost my Mom
.........we had to put one of dogs to sleep
........Peter was not looking too well and had no energy
........and we still did not have a second Bed in the Trailer for Peter to sleep on - as I was not sharing the only couch with 2 dogs and Peter and Me - I had to draw the line somewhere.

Peters single job was to rig up the second couch - and that took him all of a whole week.....there is a trend here happening....

I knew that my windows had issues and were leaking. Everyone has the same issues I think - dried out gasket patched together with silicon Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8725.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	47535- so I thought I would get the outer window frames done before our Holiday. I broke the big front window OOOOPSClick image for larger version

Name:	100_8726.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	47536 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8727.jpg
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	47537so that had to be replaced - then I figured for what it was worth - nice new glass all round would be money well spent - so we did. and of course the minute I decided to take all the windows out - yep rain has to roll in on a perfectly sunny and clear day - so we had to do that mad dash to tape plastic over the window openings as we had just put the two couches back in!!! and did it poor - but for only 15 minutes then it was fine - but the plastice stayed up for Thursday and balmy hot hot day which melted off the duck tape and left all the tape residu on the trailer - I had no time to deal with that - I had a little brown dog that had to go to the Vet one last time and then I had all the bedding to wash and somewhat clear the sent for when we returned.....

Picking up the windows 2 days before we were leaving to find they had cut all the glass wrong!!! so I had 5 windows to do and do all the gaskets the day before we were leaving.

My work table by day was the Patio Table and by night the dinning room (everything) table...Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8737.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	47539

I had to also give the frames a good clean and a polish close to the gaskets so I did that before installing the new gaskets- I am using Met-All the stuff is great!!! and is what Airstream used and still does....Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8739.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	47540

With new gaskets, new glass and a pretty good polish (fine polisihg to follow next spring)Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8757.jpg
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	47541 All that was left was the install - Peter's only job on the morning we were leaving. By now he really looked like he needed a vacation!!

The day before we left - we sent Lucky who had been with us for three years (my Brothers Dog) on his way to "RainBow Bridge". He developed an extremely aggressive Bone tumor that originated from within his sinus. We saved him the excruciating pain just in time - but it did not help the heart!! It was in a way good timing that we were leaving the next day with the two girls Taz and Haily. Haily missed him for a while - but has since began playing again with Taz who is 4 years older than Haily.

Okay back to trailer -

no wait - I must not leave you hanging with my Mom.....She is doing fine NOW....they have taken a year to try and find out what was wrong - basically she was bleeding internally and had to be rushed in twice for blood transfusions. They have diagnosed her with GAVE and have had to basically gas the inside of the stomach several times to stop all the leaking blood vessels.....The last resort effort was to take place on the Friday we were leaving for our Holiday.....so we delayed our departure for the morning until we knew she had got through it fine....She had another procedure two weeks later and now she has had her follow up and all blood and iron levels are back up to normal from being dangerously low all summer.

So we were off on our Holidays with little more than a tin tent (but fully road worthy) - with Porta Potti plug in appliances two couches, nicely sealed windows and two dogs happy dogs......Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9202.jpg
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	47542
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_8729.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	47538  
Old 10-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Vacation!!

Ah finally - on the road - back to Michigan - my fourth time in three months time. I think I shall emigrate

I had mentioned that we had a tin tent - yep but she was a pretty functional one - well for bare necessity camping anyway. Did I also mention that we were totally UNPREPARED for the actual holiday itself - okay lets see the list...no utensils, no spices, no sheets, and about 100 other things that would normally be in the trailer (well in the MoonBeam anyway!!!) We also had no idea that where we were going was in the middle of nowhere! with not a grocery store within an hour. So what did we have....at the gas station they had one packet of hotdogs left. I thought at the last minute to bring a bag of Tortia Chips and Salsa - with that said we had a great dinner!!Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8785.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	47558
Taz thought we were making her a gormet dinner Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8782.jpg
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	47557 I really would like to get this formica for my counter in the LB does anyone know where I can find something similar????
Our next night we stepped it up a bit and put the appliances to the test
We picked up utensils and sheets that afternoon and went for a drive to Traverse City. But we forgot the spices!!! so I cooked the chicke in Salsa and beer Yum Yum!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8994.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	47563did not even have a grater for the cheese - oh brother...

Now speaking of the inside - it was a wall to wall couch - even one for the Girls -but when they are all pulled out it turns into 19' of mattress, sleeping area - boy could you get that baby rocking Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8786.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	47559

Our Camping spot at Sleeping Bear Dunes Plate River site Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9044.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	47564 - the first night we were lucky to get a site with electricity - it was the accessible site right infront of the bathroom which I thought was great since we had no running water or toilet in the trailer (just the PP). But we had to move to our new spot in the morning....We had pulled in just as it got dark and I had to park in the dark oh my am I good - shhhh don't tell them there was lots of light coming from the bath/shower room...

The dunes are a magnificent marvel really - and they are disappearing so make sure your kids and grandkids get to see them....this picture sort of puts them into perspective - that entire point is the dune that can be seen from outer space.....Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8847.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	47560
Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Our second part of our Holiday had us visiting with some great friends (all from the forums - Tinsista, Wheel Interested, Towdaddy and CupCake) We had a great 4 days at the River Ridge Resort north of Grand Rapids. Lots of pics were posted in another thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...-28463-48.html Post #'s 662 - 678

Luau was the flavor for the weekend - and as we were not prepared with anything else - I did manage to throw in some decorations for the LB.... A little hawaii Island Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9093.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	47568

One of the cheapest items you can buy for a vintage trailer is the wheel chocks now do you notice ours!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9046.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	47570

Two different kinds of orange ones and a broken yellow one - which I ran over in the winter - just caught it on the side - when we were getting the Moonbeam ready to be picked up.

Have you ever had one of those moments where you swear you picked up all four!!! and then you find it in the last spot you look. When we returned from our holiday we arrived very late at night - so when we pulled into the driveway what was still sitting on the driveway - the 4th chock. As I went to bed I said I must remember to pick it up. In the morning I flattened it as I forgot to pick it up and drove right over it...Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9200.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	47569

Peter had a terrible time with his diabetes on Holidays and spiraled when he got home - it turns out that his insulin pump had been working intermitently....and we had a bad batch of insulin on the holiday....so by the time he got home he needed a holiday from his holiday poor fellow.

But he is good now and on the mend again and feeling better every day.....as you will see things are starting to happen again with the LB.

We are on a new mission - mission big solo trip to Canopener 08 with fully functional trailer and two dogs...

Okay so back to the resoration.... must sort through photos.... stay tuned.....
Old 10-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
One Appliance at a time......

Time is pressing on....

Peter has now installed the Water Heater and fabed the vintage cover to work with the new WH. I just love the look of the old vents and covers compared to today's plastic ones.
Before anything gets attached my job is to compound the area to get a nice clean surface...

Name:	100_0179.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	47637 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0220.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	47636 A new frame has still to be built on the inside to close in the difference from the size of the beast that was in there before. I have gained about 6 inches on the left side of the toilet - yipee!

I have finished the window well gaskets - they were a bit fiddly but fairly easy to work with - no fancy tools for this job - a plastic knife did the trick. The most time took cleaning the track and the aluminum to start with a nice clean surface. - instead of cutting the tube I was able to do it in a continuous piece.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0214.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	47638Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0215.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	47639Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0216.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	47640

I have a hard to concentrating - I just catch a glimpse outside and I am distracted by "nature".....it really is like I have traveled miles to go camping... Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0211.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	47641

Next was the decision of what to do with the interior windows wells....I took a look at all the work to strip the zolatone and the decision was made in seconds - PAINT All the cranks and latches match the window trim and light fixtures...and I have also painted the Fridge scoop the same metalic copper. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0273.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	47642

The wood shelf you see in the front is the finished result of the existing oak stained. The third colour as posted early will be the Sage Green upholstery - still undecided on the curtains. And I still have to make them.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
The second of four coats has now been done on the interior wallsClick image for larger version

Name:	100_0266.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	47643....but I have had to delay the last two coats and the straw effect. After our vacation I decided that this little oven needs an AC!!!! and since the little GT is probably going to get way more mileage over the next 4 years than the Overlander - I got dibs on the AC - one for the Girls side
So the ceiling panel had to be removed to install the wiring and drain pipe.
It is 100 pounds added to LB - but well worth the extra framing and effort to remove the panels once again. The cross members were in the perfect position - almost like it was made to have one there

The Overlander comes in really handy to store the panels when out of the LB - wait do you see that - PEX - plumbing will be next - how nice it will be to have running water and a real SeaLand Toilet!!! but must be patient we are still on the appliances for now....

With little bursts of energy - Peters time has been put to good use.

It is always scary cutting into an Airstream - but sometimes it just has to be done.....Look there is a hole in the roof Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0027.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	47658 and someone is just buming around - nice seat Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0038.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	47647

That thing is heavy -and yet all I have to say is "smile" and.....Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0031.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	47645

The objective was to get the whole cut and the AC installed and sealed up first then the interior install could happen when Peter felt better again.....Looks pretty good!! up there. I have a bit of repair to do on the cover - it must have popped a screw in the accident.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0045.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	47648

Next was the inside....the wiring was run to the panel along with the control center/thermostat. it is by the door but in the small trailer that is the only real place it could go - as there is no bulkhead walls up near the front.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0359.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	47652Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0357.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	47651

Next the ceiling panel is pulled from the temp storage unit Peter's trailerClick image for larger version

Name:	100_0364.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	47657 gosh I see that Picture and he does not look too well but is feeling much better these days - that was last week.

Panel back up and the inside cover installed.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0056.jpg
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	47649

And who is that saying to himself - I am exhausted!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0057.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	47650

The newer units have a much more square ceiling - so we will have to fab a trim piece for between the ceiling and the cover. somewhat like what Fantastic Vent supplies with their trim pieces.

Well that is it for now.....

Peter is moving to the fresh water tank install and to run the new pex for the water pump, sinks tub, toilet and water heater.

Me on the other hand has fiberglass work to do on the tub, AC Cover and the black tank. I also have the side window trim pieces stripped now and need fine wet sanding ready to spray paint - and that will be the windows done - except I have to get 4 new arm clips and we have to repair a corner weld that broke on one of the windows on our holiday.

Till next update -
Old 10-19-2007, 08:39 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Wow Sharon! Things are looking good...you have been very busy! Cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1963
I am looking for these little clips inside the window tracks??? Can Anyone help me out???
Are these what you are looking for?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #80
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Shari;

Yes those are the ones.....we have been looking everywhere - but have recently seen that VTS has picked them up or have had them made....a bit pricey but well worth it... It has been several months since I checked with them - the last time to they had the crank arms on backorder - so we were waiting to get it all at once....but now I will need to order them as I also need the door gasket unless an automotive place sells the gasket cheaper..I am pushing the weather now too to get that gasket in place before it gets too cold - or I will have to borrow someones garage....

I am going to have to wait to do the A-Frame step and bumper in the Spring when we drop the belly pan - yes I know we are doing things a bit backaswards - but then priorities some times take over logic...

Love your Avatar Girl - how is yours (Birdy - is it?) coming

We are debating now on the waterfill set up....do we go with the old style pipe with cap - which the original is hmm kind of stinky yuky with a pressure valve on it and the trim piece does not look all that good either....Any ideas? on that score???
Old 10-19-2007, 08:59 AM   #81
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Just realized I did not have a picture of the vintage vent Peter was able to keep with the new Water Heater.

Name:	100_0389.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	47687

Except for the base the whole outer section comes apart as it did originally. The vent placement is in the exact place if we were to use the cover that came with it. We still need to work on the little vent as it was just a tad too short - for the original panel. It is all just set in place to stop the criters from making LB there new winter home!!

I have the full hand polising to do and replace all the screws with SS screws. it will look very sharp once all done - but all takes time....

Does anyone what is the coldest temperature you can compound in??/ Keep in mind I am talking the metal factor not the human factor - us canucks can work out in the cold winters!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #82
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Great work Sharon and Peter

Wow you all have been working hard! How's that tub coming along Sharon? You've got to get crackin before the can opener!!
Make sure you leave some time to make more of that great wine now!

Tags