Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
Cleaning becomes a little work becomes a lot of work - 1964

When the shop vac sucks up pieces of the subfloor, it's a sign.

I took the hint and decided to have a closer look at that section of floor adjacent to the back bumper. The floor was just rotted... I knew that when it rained it got damp back there but I didn't know I could stick my finger through it.

Got the bathroom somewhat dismantled since it seems like a good time to diagnose the leak when the toilet flushes....

Got the toilet removed and dumped some nice clean water in the tank through the big hole in the top. Expected the leak was around the toilet flange but WRONG - ran outside to see the water running out on the ground from between the panels in the belly pan sections.

So, now preparing to drop and fix the black tank, figure out where the impossible leak is that made my floor into mush, and probably get the froze/sploded water heater tank replaced, and install the new 12V converter/charger that I picked up from VTS a while back.

Thanks to Shari and all the rest of you who have provided inspiration to tackle this project!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Globetrotter-April-2011-4.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	127079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Globetrotter-April-2011-6.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	127080  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Globetrotter-April-2011-8.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	127081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Globetrotter-April-2011-11.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	127082  

GlobeTrottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Ooops! Guess I have another restoration thread to watch!!
Seriously, best wishes & I'm sure you'll do great. It'll give you priceless peace of mind knowing what's back there and that it's all secure. Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
How bad can it be?

I showed my wife the third photo in the post here (the one where you can see the bathtub sitting on the gaucho in the front) and she said "you are in WAY over your head!" She forgets that I have renovated our 100 year old house kitchen, bathrooms, and just about everything else singlehandedly including new plumbing, electrical, floor joists, subfloors, drywall, tile, etc..... How dare she have such lack of faith in my Airstream work!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
That all looks too familiar. Good to get it done right the first time! Is the cabinet that covers the univolt etc in good shape?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:47 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
The cabinet next to the toilet had some water damage from the water that was leaking in around the rear window. Fortunately I have a friend who is an expert in furniture restoration and he repaired the water damage and made it look very good. I'll post some pictures and show a bit about his technique as well soon.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Reminds me of my experience. I buy a trailer, pull it home, get my cleaning stuff out and end up gutting the interior.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
One place we had terrible leaking was through the ABS vents- rain would get in the pipe, and dribble out through the joints. I found this out while in the trailer in a driving rain, with a flashlight, and thought maybe they had worked loose over the years. I had sealed up the pipes from the outside with ABS cement, a band aid fix but something to stem the leaking (these are the vents that run through the cabinetry)... when I cut out one piece ton install my composting toilet, the vent pipe assembly came apart- it appeared never to have been glued in the first place! The leaks destroyed the bathroom wall cabinet...

Tags