1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Yikes - sounds like labor....
Isn't there some cosmic miracle shmear that does it without the sanding part?
To quote Uwe when I asked him if I could totally renovate a trailer in 5 months... "stop being such a little girl and do it you big (insert another word for a cat) and get it done" Yes, that is what he told me. I listened, I followed his directions and I succeeded. Thank you for that pep talk by the way. I truly am grateful. You asked and I responded. Now from one german to another... Sie können ihm halben Esel machen oder Sie können es rechts machen. Halt sei ein Amerikaner und machen Sie es rechts.
Your clients will respect you....

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
You can make half donkey or you can do it right. Stop being an American and just do it.

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #59
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
You can make half donkey or you can do it right. Stop being an American and just do it.
Obviously, what goes around, comes around...
I better shape up and practice what I preach. Now, where's that Danish Oil bottle...
Old 05-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I better shape up and practice what I preach. Now, where's that Danish Oil bottle...
Just as a reminder, by Page 5 of your original "63 For Me" thread, you had already pulled off the shell, removed the floor, and made major modifications to the frame:

So, comparatively, a little sanding and some Danish finish oil sounds pretty simple...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #61
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Just as a reminder, by Page 5 of your original "63 For Me" thread, you had already pulled off the shell, removed the floor, and made major modifications to the frame:

So, comparatively, a little sanding and some Danish finish oil sounds pretty simple...
Ah, I see where this is going....(disappearing into Area63....searching for more 5-4 rivets)
Old 05-14-2008, 04:25 AM   #62
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
no slack for the slacker here brother.

Zep, Did they teach you German in jet fighter school? You almost have it dead on.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:36 AM   #63
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
WOW SERENDIPITY BABY... that was post #62 out of a 62 owner who's first trailer and car were both 1962's.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Ah, I see where this is going....(disappearing into Area63....searching for more 5-4 rivets)
We're nothing if not helpful...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:58 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Please, Uwe, Do Not Rush The Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Uwe,
After many years of happy ownership I have not renovated our Tradewind yet. Plenty of excuses, none valid.
I have savored the efforts of others, admired their expensive renovations and kept notes for when I start the great effort. You are right up there with the best in my book.
But one thing, Please do not let the rabble of overachievers, workaholics, force you into rushing quality. It is simply not worth it.
Any job worth doing is worth doing in it's own time.
Call me: Savoring the Undone.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #66
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob
Uwe,
After many years of happy ownership I have not renovated our Tradewind yet. Plenty of excuses, none valid.
I have savored the efforts of others, admired their expensive renovations and kept notes for when I start the great effort. You are right up there with the best in my book.
But one thing, Please do not let the rabble of overachievers, workaholics, force you into rushing quality. It is simply not worth it.
Any job worth doing is worth doing in it's own time.
Call me: Savoring the Undone.
I promise by the life of my neighbors dog that I will not, nor have I ever, put Armor-All on the interior panels and call it a day....
Old 05-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Didi and I are excited abiut the lates t addition to the Airstream stable. We got a 1963 Globetrotter from a friend. It is a wonderful little trailer, and best of all it was left original for the most part.
Congratulations Uwe,

I believe that you and Didi will be quite cozy in that Globetrotter. It looks like an excellent find. We can't wait to see it, I am sure it will be just as great as your Overlander!

Hope to see you soon!

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
...Zep, Did they teach you German in jet fighter school? You almost have it dead on.
When I was a kid I lived in Baumholder, 87 km due east of Luxembourg City, for three years. Unfortunately I lost my German fluency* over the years. But I can still make my way through train stations and coffee shops... There were many excellent things about those years, but one of the best was being able to spend the summers in Normandy, on a farm with the French resistance families who saved my dad when he was shot down.

Zep
(apologies for the total hijack, here)

* Babelfish is my crutch these days.
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #69
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Speaking of German Fluency... you should have heard what unrepeatable words were spoken in said foreign language when I tested the water system.
The little gem of a trailer finally made it to Area 63. I filled the water tank, and tried the rain and pump. What came out of the drain reminded me of the mud from the Rio Grande. So I repeated the fill/drain procedure a few times until the water came out almost clear. Put on the screw cap, hit the switch for the air pressure pump, and voila', all seemed golden. At least for a few minutes, until a loud hiss and immediate dark spots on the carpet in front of the front goucho signaled that there was definitely a problem.
Closer inspection revealed a 1/8in hole had been opened up by the water pressure, it simply rusted through the galvanized tank.
I lowered the tongue of the trailer immediately, to keep the water where it was already wet, towards the front. Water dripped out from all around the front belly pan. After a while, when my tranquilizers kicked in, I went and removed the drawers and flipped up the gaucho to make room for some electric fans. I left everything and measured for a new tank and demand water pump. Found the tank locally, brought it to the Area and it was indeed a near perfect fit. I will take it back to the mfg. today to have the proper fittings spun into place. One fill, one vent towards the top, a drain on the street side,, and a suction on the curbside. The tank lays flat on the floor, fits under the gaucho supports with 1/4 in to spare, and holds 28gal. This is a very easy and quick replacement, btw. I will run PEX to the existing copper supply line for now.
There's no propane left in the tanks, so as time permits I will get some propane and test the gas system. The fridge works great on electric, my hopes are that the gas portion works as well.

I took the seeping dump valve off, and found that the o-ring was pinched right at the end of the blade's travel. Thanks to a forum member's tip, I ordered the seals from McMaster last night. It looks as though the dump valve has been out before, there were new bolts in place with new washers.
The bolts were too long, and had bottomed out in the brass inserts. There might be a stripped thread or two to deal with, but that's no biggie.
More late breaking news as things develop.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #70
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Didi a quick test with the Danish oil on one of the drawer fronts last night before heading home. Can't wait to see how the old wood takes the oil.