Old 05-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Send a message via Skype™ to kidless
80% Gutted '62 Globetrotter

Just got my 'new' mini home - home. It's about 80% gutted. The inside skin is still up and the back bath area is still in (that's coming out for sure). The floor is cleared to the cross beams. Here are my questions.

I'm not crazy at all about taking off the out skin. Looks pretty good, and I don't have space to do it. Do I have to? I'm thinking no according to some other threads.

The inside shell looks pretty good. Looks like it just needs a new paint color. Should I really strip it to bare bones incase there's hiddin mold? I'm thinking yes, only because it's down so far. I do have to pay someone to do all this, but in the end I want an almost allergy proof mini-home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-283b.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	60578  

Old 05-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
take it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidless
Just got my 'new' mini home - home. It's about 80% gutted. The inside skin is still up and the back bath area is still in (that's coming out for sure). The floor is cleared to the cross beams. Here are my questions.

I'm not crazy at all about taking off the out skin. Looks pretty good, and I don't have space to do it. Do I have to? I'm thinking no according to some other threads.

The inside shell looks pretty good. Looks like it just needs a new paint color. Should I really strip it to bare bones incase there's hiddin mold? I'm thinking yes, only because it's down so far. I do have to pay someone to do all this, but in the end I want an almost allergy proof mini-home.
It's a bit of work, but with a bit of patience you can take out the inside panels with ease. Drill each rivet with a 1/8 drill bit and label each one.
Pull the insulation and replace with good clean bubble wrap and pink insulation. When you have the panels off, consider stripping the zolatone off with aircraft stripper and steel wool.

Like any of these old trailers, there's a good chance that there have been mice in the walls. Pee and poo over 40 some odd years does no one any good.

My 2 cents.

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
ok, you just convinced me. It was the 'pee and poo' part. Now I'd never feel comfortable that I didn't take it all out. That will also give the chance to insulate with the highest grade. All it took was the 2cents.. wow.

many thanks. guess I'll be starting my own blog spot.
Christina
Old 05-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Why was this 80 percent gutted?
Floor stripped to the cross beams?
Is the floor removed under the side walls/c-channel?
Is the belly pan still there?
Why do you what to remove the rest of the bath fixtures?
Are the walls original paint like inside the cabinets or is it all repainted?
Is there mold visable and why would you think it is in the paint?

Answer a few more of these questions and it would help to get an idea what to do next.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
1) Bought it this way. Previous owners were going to redo all and got this far.

2)Yes, floor stripped to the frame, but the under belly is still there. Yes the floor is removd under the side walls, but but there's still the back third in the bath area. The subfloor looks pretty black and disgusting.

3) Only like the tub

4) Paint not original, but has been repainted absolutely everywhere including over electric wires and inside the top cupboards. I didn't think there was mould in the paint, just inside the walls since is been stored in our damp Canadian winters, however, just went out rechecked the ceiling, and could wipe off suspicious black dots with a little spit...hmm

So, it still looks like I should remove the inside walls. If I find no further evidence of mold, then maybe I can at least reuse the walls, which I'm really hoping I can. There are ways to kill surface moulds, so would do that anyway
Old 05-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
I've posted some photos of the inside. Guess it's a little less than 80% gutted since I'm now including the inside walls. The sheet on the 'gutted' side is just resting there so I have somewhere to stand or to sit as I imagine what I have to do next.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You do not have to remove the entire shell to do this. Search "airforums; shell on replacement" on google and you will be able to read threads where people have done it... I did. Do not try the search at the top, it will only lead you to those stupid threads like " it is thursday and have you seen the fake craig list rally". You will have to remove the lowest section of interior wall and, yes, the belly pan. To replace the floor you need to be able to bolt it from below, and that cannot be done with the belly pan in place. You will also be able to repair and treat the frame for all the rust your rain forest climate produces. There are many folks that have done this and you will be very proud of your rig when it is done.
Also congratulations on picking Airstreams best year ever.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
I did read some of the 'shell on replacements' but most were shell off. Just can't see drilling into a perfectly sound looking shell. I think I was on your thread. So, you may hear from me again.

The rest of what you said '62overlander' also makes perfect sense. Today I was trying to gather some hard workers to help gut. Quite amazing for me when I offer $20/hour it's still hard to get help. Guess I better don the face masks and begin.

And yes, I'm looking forward to completed project, but also enjoying the journey and the doing and the researching. Already had business cards stuffed in my doorway hoping to buy -- not for sale.

Christina
Old 05-19-2008, 04:30 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
you will have to drill out some rivets, sorry. But the fun part, the best and funerest part, is you get to re rivet. You get to put them back with real honest to God bucked rivets, and that is the coolest thing in the whole project. Have fun and enjoy it... contact me any time, I would be glad to offer my two cents(that is about one canadian dollar now).
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Sure glad I had the inside walls stripped. Found most of the electrical wires in very poor shape, a couple even exposed. There doesn't appear to be anything on the inside walls. Just removed the insulation. The only inside parts left are the two curved ceiling ends as they were made of fibreglass.

Have removed the rest of the inside and found the back half of the trailer undercarriage with a lot of rust vs, the front end which still looked brand new painted black. One of the cross beams is even rusted through and swinging free.. oh well, expect to find such wonders. Now gotta find a welder (my welding buddy a little out of reach).

Love the process
Christina
Old 07-26-2008, 09:42 PM   #11

1962 19' Globetrotter
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Will you reuse your tub/shower?

Hi there!
I've recently purchased a 62 Globe Trotter "Piglet" myself, and at some point in its history, the tub/shower was removed. (You can see under the sink/cabinet where a cut was made.) We want a shower and were going to begin looking for a replacement via salvage or store or custom... Are you going to reuse your tub/shower? If not, Piglet would be happy to acquire one! If you're keeping it, I'd love to hear some ideas from people where to begin a search for that shower tub! Ours was made in California, so the shower would be curbside. Thanks for any help/leads you can give me!

Bad news: we tested the water tank today to find two leaks. Big bummer. Good news: Easy location to get to, and my husband is able to fix them!
Old 07-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
out of all the stuff inside, the tub/shower is about the only thing I was going to reuse. Haven't heard where to find them, but I haven't had to look. There are most likely other threads with more info.

Welcome to the forums. You'll pretty well find everything you need to know here, nevermind the great community.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Tub/shower combo

I was unable to find any replacements for mine. It was damaged. I had to repair the old fiberglass and resurface it. In case you are wondering how the combo might be made stronger and less flemsy sp???, Not that you are wondering this or wanted to know this, BUT I added solid wood under the top sink surrounding the sink, underneath the tub/shower, as well as below the area that the toilet hole is in. Just in case you decide to re-use it and want it to be stronger.

By the way, I am restoring my 64 GT and just got the belly pan completely out, frame was washed just jow, lower skins are off and I am removing the shell tomorrow. I am then coating the frame adn also need to find a welder. Floor will be replaced soon after.

I know all of this may not have anything to do with what the thread talks about, but, I am random sometimes with my 2 cents.

Andrew
64GT in Atlanta, GA
Old 09-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Actually, I do like to know this. Have any pics? I'm just in negotions with a local aluminum boat builder (I know, not quite an airstream), but would love to see some of your progress

Christina
on the Sunshine Coast! (ha)