Old 08-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
'64 Globetrotter Restoration begins

After dreaming about this day, it has finally come true. I bought a 64 Globetrotter yesterday. I am so excited to have this project in front of me. Attached are some pictures of the pick-up.

There are many things that I want to do, but more than anything I want to set the stage to have this trailer lasting for another 44 years and more. I know that the floor needs replacing or repairing, and am sure too that the frame could use some treatment. The axle more than likely also needs to be replaced with new shocks.

I am posting some pictures of the trailer as it was yesterday as well as today after I began to remove the furnishings. My plans are to finish the removal of items by the end of this weekend. Pictures will follow of the purchase and during the process of removal.
Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	65966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	65968  

Name:	IMG_0026.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	65970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	65971  

Old 08-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Welcome to the Forum. Nice find.
You do realize that once you start you might not be able to rid yourself of aluminitus.
I see a lot of paint covering up the wood and walls so you have a whole world of possible choices ahead of you for renovating the inside.
Have fun. Do the research. Don't skimp on the materials and you will go another 44 years

Good luck,
Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome to the forums.

The small ones like your GT are hard to find at a good price. Do it right the first time, and it will last a long time.

Steve
Old 08-20-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Congrats, and welcome to the GlobeTrotter club.
Make sure to check out these two members' sites, as they offer a wealth of inspiration. From the polished exterior to the attention to detail inside, they're a couple of the best trailers out there:

http://www.insideout-design.net/maxwell/

http://globetrotter64.home.att.net/
Old 08-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
wow that looks pretty good in the pictures, ours, well yeah not at all that nice. Seeing the progress of others keeps us going, so make sure to keep us posted on your work!
Old 08-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Congratulations! The Globetrotters are sweet units! Ask lot's of questions here....and post more pics as you progress
Old 08-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Nice find really good looking trailer.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Progress today 08/21/08

Well, I was able to put about 4 hours into the gutting process today. I spent most of the time pulling out the refrigerator, furnace, oven, sink and cabinets. I removed all of the light fixtures, the mirror, and cabinet doors. I was surprised to have all drawer bins (4 in all) and all interior parts to the refrigerator (I think). I found the original owners manual as well as the "Lifetime Warranty" paper posted in the closet on the wall. I am going to re-bind the manual and will have to cut the wood with warranty paper still attached. These are definitely cool finds for the trailer.

I am looking forward to getting it all cleaned out possibly tomorrow or definitely this weekend. The floors, while they felt solid at purchase, have many rotten areas around the edges of the trailer. So I am really looking forward to taking the floor out, replacing it, and sand blasting the frame and treating it with POR-15 all over. The fiberglass shower/tub and toilet piece is in bad shape. It looks like a previous owner tried to repair it, but that did not seem to work well. Anyone ever had fiberglass repaired? is it hard to find or expensive?

Tomorrow I will spend my day removing the back corner shelving on both sides and ending my day with the tub/toilet pieces being removed. Since today was such a success, I will more than likely begin removing the floor this weekend along with the tanks. Lots to do.

For the future, all utilities will be upgraded (water heater, water pump, water lines, electrical, etc.) I have not decided on a floor material yet, but am thinking either wood or cork. Since I have a dog, Marley, I am thinking that it would be best to have wood. The walls will more than likely be painted , but I don't think I want white, maybe something close. I am not sure about lighting yet, but I love the idea of using the old fixtures, so that will be what I do with some of the lighting and LED lighting for energy efficiency also. I am going to not have an oven only a stove top and microwave and would prefer to have a new model LP/110V refrigerator. The furnace is not something I have decided on yet, but I am looking into something that is efficient and not too big.

Before I get ahead of myself, here are some pics of the mess I made today. BTW, I am looking for and need a window above the oven area. I am not sure if I need the whole window or not, but the part that cranks out is missing and was replaced with a single pane of glass. It may be that I just need to arm and window, but I am ignorant on this. Any help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0050.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	65991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	521.8 KB
ID:	65992  

Name:	IMG_0057.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	605.7 KB
ID:	65993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	758.0 KB
ID:	65994  

Old 08-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
before you get too ambitious with the floor removal, have you looked at the frame/ floor sub forum? This is a a job to be armed with lots of good information before starting.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
She look's cool

Boy oh Boy...now you've done it! You life is over as you know it...you're going to start by visiting garage sales and thrift shops just so you can find that "perfect" accessory...and them...well I'm not gonna tell you what happens next!
Don't forget to start up a blog and document your story...have fun!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
before you get too ambitious with the floor removal, have you looked at the frame/ floor sub forum? This is a a job to be armed with lots of good information before starting.
Yep, I read the frame/sub-floor forums. However, if there is something specific you want me to know, let me know. I am sure i will have questions, but they will more than likely come as I dig.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
There's no training better then "on the job training" good luck. I did a shell on floor replacement here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...nte-26902.html
Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Thumbs up

Yeah, I read some of your posts last night I think. I may be incorrect, but is it true that the shell is attached to the frame? Probably a dumb question....Anyway, I liked the idea of a shell on replacement as I do not want to make it more complicated than necessary. I have been watching Toastie's posts and he is going much further than I have time to. However, I want to do it right the first time and not have problems again. I am greatful for your knowledge and reply's. I should have it completely gutted by the end of the weekend and possibly have the floor out. I will have walking boards by the way. I'll keep photos coming and am always open to comments and concerns and well.........any experience that miht help me do the right thing.

Good night to all, Andrew
Old 08-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Graham , North Carolina
man, I thought it looked pretty good in the first picture. Keep us up with your progress.

wear it out, don't rust it out

Jerry
jpeterman is offline   Reply With Quote