Old 08-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64TrotterAtl View Post
Congratulations to all of you that are able to use your trailers this weekend.

I have spent the last 2 days preparing for the removal of the shell. So today that is what we did. We removed the shell and I am now preparing to POR-15 the trailer, and then top coat it on Monday. Here are the pictures.
Labor well done, keep up the good work...............toastie

Old 08-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
I have spent the last 2 days preparing for the removal of the shell. So today that is what we did. We removed the shell and I am now preparing to POR-15 the trailer, and then top coat it on Monday.
great job, looks very familiar

hopefully you won't have the shell off for a year and a half like yours truly......

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:29 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
rewire question

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Labor well done, keep up the good work...............toastie
I am in the midst of also educating myself on a complete re-wire. I will be upgrading the system fully with new panels and converter/inverter. Do you know of any threads w pictures or discussions or anything that will help me visualize this whole process? I am no electrician, but I think that I can do it, if I am very careful. Color coded wiring makes thins easier. Just wondering, Andrew
Old 08-31-2008, 07:31 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood View Post
great job, looks very familiar

hopefully you won't have the shell off for a year and a half like yours truly......
Can you read the post below. I would love to see a post or discussion where a complete rewire is photo documented. Just wondering, A
Old 08-31-2008, 07:34 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Wow!! you work fast. I have been so busy with work I have not had much time to see what as been going on with your project. Question, are you goint to keep the same belly pan, or buy new?

Brian
Old 08-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Belly Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Wow!! you work fast. I have been so busy with work I have not had much time to see what as been going on with your project. Question, are you goint to keep the same belly pan, or buy new?

Brian
I am going to buy new belly pan. I have to do that. The one that was on there is destroyed. I may use it for scraps, but my plan is to start new. I may use the old for making some new U Channel pieces that I must replace.

I have been wondering what people are using to cut the sheet aluminum. I saw a numatic sp?? tool at harbor freight off Lawrenceville Hwy. We'll see.

I just painted the frame today, am covered in POR-15. I went to move to paint another spot and my foot hit the can and it spilled. I will never be able to foret this day because there is now a huge stain on the cncrete. hehe, maybe I will see if Removall 220 really works. I am actually going to test it now.

Anyway, I am rantng, maybe it is from the fumes of that POR15....
Old 08-31-2008, 02:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
I am going to buy new belly pan. I have to do that. The one that was on there is destroyed. I may use it for scraps, but my plan is to start new. I may use the old for making some new U Channel pieces that I must replace.

I have been wondering what people are using to cut the sheet aluminum. I saw a numatic sp?? tool at harbor freight off Lawrenceville Hwy. We'll see.

I just painted the frame today, am covered in POR-15. I went to move to paint another spot and my foot hit the can and it spilled. I will never be able to foret this day because there is now a huge stain on the cncrete. hehe, maybe I will see if Removall 220 really works. I am actually going to test it now.

Anyway, I am rantng, maybe it is from the fumes of that POR15....
I found this to be the best Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
Old 08-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Por15 day

Well, just letting you all get to know me better. I have never really been a clean person when it comes to work. I can dress up, but I seem to destroy clothing. Today was a prime example.

So I sent the beginning of the day pulling off the misc. stuff such as wiring, torsion bar holders (I think), rusty bolts, misc aluminum, and the old rusted half piece of the steps. With my new 7 inch grinder/polisher from Harbor Freight, I removed te surface rust from front to back. Treated the frame with metal ready and then began the task of painting the COMPLETE frame, top, bottom, and sides, well........I almost finished. So I am moving between the cross members and my foot hits the can of POR15 and it spills all over my driveway, (and the crowd goes wild).....I scramble to paint with the spilled portion and pour as much as I can off of the cardboard back into the can, needless to say, I made a mess and my hands are covered in POR15, yippeeee. So for the next 2 weeks probably, I am oing to get looks from others at the gym, restraunts, my girlfriend, and basically everyone that oes to shake my hand. ....But, the frame is painted and my goal was completed, even with 3/4 of a can. Well almost completed, I need a little more.

Here are the pictures, ENJOY!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0190.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	930.3 KB
ID:	66615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	894.6 KB
ID:	66616  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	66617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	633.6 KB
ID:	66618  

Old 08-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #65
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
awesome job, man! I didn't realize you had started a thread.

I remember that stage well! I'll have to see if I can drag myself away from my Silver Pickle project and check yours out.

Are you going to tow this up to the November rally in Hiawassee? Just bring a space heater and a cot! I've camped in ours once in that state.

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:42 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
I like that since it is electric. Nice....Do you use a specific tool to make the lines? Or roup of tools. I know a ruler makes straight lines....
Old 08-31-2008, 04:52 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Accidents happen ~

Olive oil seemed to remove POR-15 from my hands, although I wasn't covered in it like you unfortunately are. Also, Permatex Gasket Remover will remove it from metal (don't ask me how I know ) you may want to try it on the concrete, but not your skin...it burns.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:54 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post
awesome job, man! I didn't realize you had started a thread.

I remember that stage well! I'll have to see if I can drag myself away from my Silver Pickle project and check yours out.

Are you going to tow this up to the November rally in Hiawassee? Just bring a space heater and a cot! I've camped in ours once in that state.

JP
It is hard for me to see that far ahead. I was planning on it. My main goal right now is to get the flooring back in and lay the ground work for a re-wire. I am thinking that by next weekend, I should have the floor back on. The shell is in my parents driveway and I can't wait till it is back on.....I kind of have that feeling like you have when your dog must stay overnight at the animal clinic. You know, like something is missing from your life. I am laughing in my head right now. I am really enjoying this project as you can tell.

Keep checking in. I just put a coat of sterling silver on the frame. I will put a second coat on it tomorrow morning and then spend some time in the afternoon cutting a template for the floor.

I can't wait to meet some more folks who have done what I am doing. It takes a certain kind of person to do these things. I have a feeling that we are all a little crazy if you do this size of project. But that is what keep me ticking, a new challenge every day.

Can you tell me or help me out in the area of a re-wire? I am looking for someone who jas do a re-wire and if they have pictures of the process or maybe even a updated diagram showing what connects to what in terms of a breaker box, converter and inverter, to sound system, lighting, etc....

Thanks, Andrew
Old 08-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I use one almost like in the Harbor Freight ad, but air powered ... got it from an aircraft factory!!?? That and an air drill and some Clecos and rivets and a rivet gun and dolly, and you're off to the races!

For layout, consider a) using the old parts as templates; and b) for laying out "new" curves, you can get a lead-lined plastic gizmo at drafting supply shops that you can bend to any curve and it will stay put while you use it to draw lines on the Al.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:41 AM   #70
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
For the curves, I actually popped the lower c-channel off the shell when I lifted it and used that as a template (kinda hard to see in these pics).

Be sure you seal the floor with something. Especially the ends of the plywood. That's where the water does the damage.

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote