Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Rivets, Stripper, and POR

Since I am so new to this all, I would like to share what I purchased today. The things that would be useful for rivet removal:

1. #30 drill bits
2. Automatic spring loaded hole punch (hard to find at auto parts stores)
3. Rivet removal tool.

I will more than likely try all of these tools. The hole punch coupled with regular #30 drill bits. As well as the rivet removal tool.

BTW, an airplane mechanic told me that #30 are basically the same at 5/16. Is this correct?

I will let everyone know how it goes, but I am really looking forward to trying all of them out. I should have them by the end of the week, just in time for the weekend.

I also purchased POR-15, metal ready, and sterling silver for the frame, tongue and back bumper. RemoveAll 220 for stripping the exterior, citristrip for the interior walls if I decide to strip them of the original zolotone. I might keep them painted and simply paint over them. Oh yeah, I also purchased the F-7 polish today with some polishing pads from Tom.
64TrotterAtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

[quote=64TrotterAtl;608542]
BTW, an airplane mechanic told me that #30 are basically the same at 5/16. Is this correct?
quote]

Absolutely not! #30 bits are .1285" dia. which is slightly larger than the 1/8" pop rivets which would be .1250". Here is a chart which shows the sizes.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Thanks for making that clear for me. I bought #30's. The chart is nice to have. Appreciated!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Black water tank

The black water tank was simply resting on the belly pan. Whatever was supposed to be supporting it was no longer in existence. The piece of metal that was around the tank, was in pieces. From looking at it all, I cannot figure out how the tank was supported to begin with. Is there something that others have done that holds the tank in place, something that is going to last for another 44 years? Secondly, rather than purchase a new black water tank, I would like to re-use the old one. it looks like the main hole that the toilet hooks up to, needs to be replaced. Could anyone send me some pics of what a new hook-up is supposed to look like, including flange and support parts. If at all possible pics of a thread that shows the repair and placement of the tank??? I will continue to look. Attached are photos of my tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	629.5 KB
ID:	66330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	66331  

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	856.6 KB
ID:	66332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	700.9 KB
ID:	66333  

Old 08-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
great job, you're moving fast.

search the "links to major renovations" thread. you'll see several ways to support the tanks. i've decided to hang mine with metal strapping for additional support, you can see them at the link of my previous post.

also, please, please, please get a new black tank. if there's one thing that drives me crazy is people who try and salvage and repair a 40+ year old black tank (and there are several on this forum). these things are plain disgusting and the thought of putting one back into a "new/renovated" airstream makes no sense to me.

also, don't worry about sandblasting the frame, it's not necessary. just use an angle grinder with a wire wheel (much cheaper). that will remove most of the scale (you want some texture for the por 15 to adhere too).

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:18 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I had Inca plastics (on the internet) build an exact copy of my old tank. I took pictures and made a drawing with all the measurements. It did not cost me over $170 to have it made. I decided to replicate all the support and tank. That way I did not have future problems when putting it back together. I bought my 1/8" angle iron at a metal distributor in Lilburn Ga (Gwinnett County).

Lothlorian
Brian
Old 08-27-2008, 05:49 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Black Tank Thanks

Thanks to everyone who replied. There were no angle irons supporting my old tank so when I looked at it, I could not figure out how it was supported. Last night I studied threads and saw pictures of pans, metal supporting the pans, etc. This morning, I ordered a tank from a great company out of Canada. 31 gallon tank for $249. I was pleased, free shipping. Now I am one more step on my way.

Last night I had a GREAT exerience at Home Depot. Someone actually knew what I was talking about when I asked for an automatic spring-loaded center punch. I could not believe it. Needless to say, every now and then I am surprised, it was nice.

Today I plan on removing some of the lower interior panels. Pics will come later, even though I know you have seen it all before.

Thanks everyone, Andrew
Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Yes, Pictures!

Quote:
Today I plan on removing some of the lower interior panels. Pics will come later, even though I know you have seen it all before.
Yes, please keep the pictures coming, even if it's something that others have done before. Live threads are more interactive than archived ones, and therefore offer broader learning opportunities for you, and the rest of us.

Thanks!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi andrew,

you don't need a 31 gallon black tank, the most you would probably need would be a 20 gallon. did you order a black and a gray tank? i don't believe your globetrotter had an gray tank originally.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Black or Gray tank??

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood View Post
hi andrew,

you don't need a 31 gallon black tank, the most you would probably need would be a 20 gallon. did you order a black and a gray tank? i don't believe your globetrotter had an gray tank originally.

The tank inland RV was selling me was a 25-30 gallon black tank. The 31 gallon tank from Icon Technologies was the only one that fit the area I have for the tank. It looks like the one I pulled out. I did not order a black and a gray tank, it only has the fresh water tank and the black tank. Or maybe since the sink and shower empty into it as well as the toilet, it is a gray tank. Is this correct. Whatever it is named, I think it will work exactly as the other one did, except it is new and has the lips around the top that will support it, which is exactly what I want.

I think I am also going to build a galvanized box to go around it as well. This should protect and support it a little more.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Today's progress

Today was yet another great day. The rivet removal toll arrived. I used it for maybe a minute or two and then decided it was quicker to simply use a drill bit with the automatic spring loaded center punch. So I started removing the interior lower panels. I got the street side middle panel, three front panels all the way to the door. Tomorrow I will try to get the rest of the interior panels. it took me about 2.5 hours to complete the 4 that were removed today. I am also beginning to remove the exterior belly pan and lower side exterior corner skins all the way around (banana skins??). Still learning all of the new vocabulary words. Basically, not the exterior side panels, but the underside corner panels. The pictures are below
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0151.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	656.3 KB
ID:	66412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	552.9 KB
ID:	66413  

Name:	IMG_0156.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	66414  
Old 08-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64TrotterAtl View Post
I did not order a black and a gray tank, it only has the fresh water tank and the black tank. Or maybe since the sink and shower empty into it as well as the toilet, it is a gray tank. Is this correct. Whatever it is named, I think it will work exactly as the other one did, except it is new and has the lips around the top that will support it, which is exactly what I want.
careful here: the black tank and gray tank are two separate tanks. black tank is for toilet business only. you do not want to tie your other lines into the black tank. that's a huge no-no.

most people doing an extensive reno on their airstream will install a gray tank as part of their makeover.

here's my advice: get a 20 gallon +/- black tank and a gray tank of 25-30 gallons if it fits. this is my reason: i spent a long long long time going over tank sizes, different configurations, reading threads for other tank sizes, etc. i had analysis paralysis when it came to ordering my tanks.

here's kind of an old thread with a little bit of info;

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...ers-27892.html

Old 08-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Making good progress! Looking forward to seeing more of your progress.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
careful here: the black tank and gray tank are two separate tanks. black tank is for toilet business only. you do not want to tie your other lines into the black tank. that's a huge no-no.

most people doing an extensive reno on their airstream will install a gray tank as part of their makeover.

here's my advice: get a 20 gallon +/- black tank and a gray tank of 25-30 gallons if it fits. this is my reason: i spent a long long long time going over tank sizes, different configurations, reading threads for other tank sizes, etc. i had analysis paralysis when it came to ordering my tanks.

here's kind of an old thread with a little bit of info;

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382/tank-sizes-for-boondockers-27892.html
My only problem is that when I took everything apart, it only had one tank except for the fresh water tank. It vented through the roof. My plans were to restore this thing back to the way it was. There is really not alot of room for another tank.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
What a mess

So I took part of the afternoon off in order to continue to work on the lower interior panels. Once I completed the interior panels I began removing the rivets that connect the belly pan around the sides. The front banana skins came off really easy. I began to look closer at the two main pieces of belly pan and realized that the sides were included in those pieces. OK, removing the rivets around the sides should take care of that, RIGHT???? NO!!!!

The people that constructed these things decided to put the belly ans on first, before the side panels were installed. So, they wrapped the end of the belly pans over the U Channel and then glued it on. Then they put the side panels on. So basically, I had to cut the belly pan off with a sawzaw.

So, I have 1/2 f the belly pan completely off and all lower interior panels off. I decided to leave all of the upper interior panels attached until I have the floor replaced. I think this will more than likely give the shell more strength during the removal. I am going to remove the shell when replacing the floor.

So, that is it for the day. I will show pictures once the pan is completely removed, before I start the POR-15 step.

Andrew
Old 08-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Labor Day 2008

Congratulations to all of you that are able to use your trailers this weekend.

I have spent the last 2 days preparing for the removal of the shell. So today that is what we did. We removed the shell and I am now preparing to POR-15 the trailer, and then top coat it on Monday. Here are the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0162.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	66582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0165.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	720.1 KB
ID:	66583  

Name:	IMG_0167.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	727.0 KB
ID:	66584   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	926.4 KB
ID:	66585  

Old 08-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Congratulations to all of you that are able to use your trailers this weekend.

I have spent the last 2 days preparing for the removal of the shell. So today that is what we did. We removed the shell and I am now preparing to POR-15 the trailer, and then top coat it on Monday. Here are the pictures.
Labor well done, keep up the good work...............toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
I have spent the last 2 days preparing for the removal of the shell. So today that is what we did. We removed the shell and I am now preparing to POR-15 the trailer, and then top coat it on Monday.
great job, looks very familiar

hopefully you won't have the shell off for a year and a half like yours truly......

Old 08-31-2008, 06:29 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
rewire question

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Labor well done, keep up the good work...............toastie
I am in the midst of also educating myself on a complete re-wire. I will be upgrading the system fully with new panels and converter/inverter. Do you know of any threads w pictures or discussions or anything that will help me visualize this whole process? I am no electrician, but I think that I can do it, if I am very careful. Color coded wiring makes thins easier. Just wondering, Andrew
Old 08-31-2008, 06:31 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
great job, looks very familiar

hopefully you won't have the shell off for a year and a half like yours truly......
Can you read the post below. I would love to see a post or discussion where a complete rewire is photo documented. Just wondering, A