Old 08-22-2008, 05:46 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Actually, it was in great shape in certain areas. It needs work in so many areas such as floors, cabinets. Don't worry, my uncle is a finished carpenter and he and I are going to make it incredible with original style. Pictures can be deceiving. I learned that from purchasing the airsream.

Today, I will more than likely remove the back cabinets and tub assembly. Then on to the floor project if time allows.

Andrew

Old 08-22-2008, 06:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Homework :)

Your progress is great, keep it up!

For anyone doing a complete renovation, as you are, I always suggest these restoration/renovation threads. I consider them required reading-- the good news is that they are fun to read!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

Good luck!

-Marcus

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Andrew,
You are very ambitious, remember, pace yourself, and don't get aluminum burn out. It looks like a nice little project trailer and I can't wait to see what you do with it. Welcome aboard and have fun.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Andrew, Welcome to the FORUMS. The demolition is rewarding, and so is turning the bend on the way to being usable again. Many on here have begun to enjoy their Airstream trailers as soon as the floor is replaced. It may just be a tent on wheels, but it's still fun to be out camping in the AS.
Be sure to check out our Falluminum rally in Hiawassee, GA the 7-9th of November if you can make it. With or without the trailer, you can attend our Saturday open house and speak with lots of AS and vintage owners about their trailers. Looking forward to meeting you in the future.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby View Post
Andrew, Welcome to the FORUMS. The demolition is rewarding, and so is turning the bend on the way to being usable again. Many on here have begun to enjoy their Airstream trailers as soon as the floor is replaced. It may just be a tent on wheels, but it's still fun to be out camping in the AS.
Be sure to check out our Falluminum rally in Hiawassee, GA the 7-9th of November if you can make it. With or without the trailer, you can attend our Saturday open house and speak with lots of AS and vintage owners about their trailers. Looking forward to meeting you in the future.
Demolition is the easy part. As for using it for a tent on wheels, I was thinking of getting the floor in and packing my tools and heading for the hills and basically having a workshop on wheels. It seems that we are on the same page.

I have family up near Hiawassee and go hiking up that way quite frequently. I plan on dropping in and meeting the family.

See you in November, Andrew
Old 08-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Andrew,
It is very rewarding to see the demolition progress. The reinstallation takes a bit longer. Think ahead about what you want, research where to find it and remember original for many of the items in your trailer will be almost impossible to fine. It took us a month to remodel the interior on ours and we just about burned out. When you are finished it will be an awesome little camper!!! Good luck!!

63silver
Old 08-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Wow! Looks like you are jumping right in! Lots of potential...it's gonna be fun to watch the progress. Of course, I do have a soft spot for '64 GlobTrotters...let me know if there is anything that we can do to help.

Maxwell's Mom ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Wow! Looks like you are jumping right in! Lots of potential...it's gonna be fun to watch the progress. Of course, I do have a soft spot for '64 GlobTrotters...let me know if there is anything that we can do to help.

Maxwell's Mom ~

Shari
Yes, I have had my eyes on your Maxwell for a few months. I am excited to make mine just as nice and comfortable. I ended up getting everything out except for the tub and toilet. I think those two are going to be tougher to remove. I am excited about the replacement of the sub-floors, axle, shocks, and treatment of the frame. of course this will take some time, but I tend to think that this is the most important part since it is the base of it all.

Tomorrow I am planning the toilet removal and have purchased a rivot removal tool that I found on one of the posts/threads. Once that tool arrives I am planning on taking a closer look at the belly and frame. Lot's going on and I am loving every minute of it.

I love your trailer. Do you have any advice on where I might find a piece of the sink/toilet combo. I am missing the side portion that fits between the sink and toilet top area? Secondly I need the window that is located to the left of the door on the outside. Also, "Trotter" is missing from the side of the trailer. that is enough for now. Posted are some of the pics I have now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0317.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	66074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	66075  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	66076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	66077  

Old 08-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
how exciting! you look all smiles like i did a year and a half ago

i'm still smiling but what a long long process. dealing with the frame and the tanks is the most challenging stuff by far. there's tons of info on frame work here and you can check out my thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f411...oud-27533.html

i finally getting the frame wrapped up. the shell has been off for over a year and a half.

here's also a link to several major renovations;

congratulations and keep posting updates!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
64GlobtrotterAtl

Congrats, I am right down the road from you in Loganville. I bought a 73Overlander last October. It's orginal owners were from Stone Mountain. I worked on the major stuff from late fall to June. I am taking a break at the moment, but we have had ours out a couple of times and we really enjoy it. I have a thread on Subfloors and frames. If you ever need information let me know. I just started to do some little projects on it.

Lothlorian

Brian
Old 08-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Let me know if there are any part(s) that you may need!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood View Post
how exciting! you look all smiles like i did a year and a half ago

i'm still smiling but what a long long process. dealing with the frame and the tanks is the most challenging stuff by far. there's tons of info on frame work here and you can check out my thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f411...oud-27533.html

i finally getting the frame wrapped up. the shell has been off for over a year and a half.

here's also a link to several major renovations;

congratulations and keep posting updates!
I just spent the last hour reading posts regarding the removal of banana skins, belly pans, outrigger repair, etc. There is alot work ahead, but it must be done, depending on what i find.

Would you suggest that I remove the banana skins and belly pan before I remove the subfloors?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Decatur , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
64GlobtrotterAtl

Congrats, I am right down the road from you in Loganville. I bought a 73Overlander last October. It's orginal owners were from Stone Mountain. I worked on the major stuff from late fall to June. I am taking a break at the moment, but we have had ours out a couple of times and we really enjoy it. I have a thread on Subfloors and frames. If you ever need information let me know. I just started to do some little projects on it.

Lothlorian

Brian
Questions, Of course, I have many of them.

Should I remove the belly pan and banana skins before I get to removing the subfloor? Am I even going about this in the right steps? This is just like one big puzzle and I want to make sure I do it correctly.

Who would you use to do some sandblasting locally?

Let's talk, 404-454-9995

Andrew
Old 08-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
When I did mine I removed the back belly pan and the banna rap. When I was done with what I was going to accomplish I put the same belly pan back on. Wow!!! aluminum is expensive. I did a patch job and put it back up. I only did a complete renovation of the bathroom. I used a special wood rot fix for the other minor rot spots in the front end of the trailer. I drove to athens to buy the product. It worked great. It turned the rot hard as rock and then I put an epoxy sealer that comes with the rot fix over the repaired areas . After that I layed a laminate floor over it. I did not do the full monte. I was very fortunate because my out riggers for the most part were free from rust. I Por-15 the frame after I had some minor welding done. I did this after reading about a problem called end seperation. I wanted to make sure once I put it back together I would not have to take it apart again. The bottom line is if you have the correct tools for the job and read this forum you will be fine.

You will also hear about replacing axels. I eventually will replace mine but I have to build up the coffers again before I take that on.

Here is my link http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-38204.html

Lothlorian

Brian