Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2006, 12:22 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
'62 globetrotter

any 62 globetrotter owners out there.just a quick post to the airstreamers to see whats up with all, im anxious to take her for a tow soon wayne wunder w.b.c.c.i./vac#1859 1962 19ft globetrotter (sold my 2000 27 ft safari)
wunderful62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
VAC rally

Wayne are you coming to the 06 Rocky Mountain VAC rally Check out the web site www.rmvac.org and check out the program. We are a fun group and had 71 units at the rally last year. This year is limited to 60 units so if you are considering it, move on it early. I will have my 62 GT there and we can compare notes, just replaced the front section of floor, replaciing the goucho with a dinette, installing new flooring and painting just started.
WBCCI #5345
62 Globe Trotter 19'
69 Sovereign 31'
04 E-350 Van 6.0 diesel
stagecoachbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Another '62 GT

I’m new to the Forum and it’s nice to find this sub-forum specific to the ’62. It took about 8 months of shopping but I finally found a 1962 Globe Trotter about (3 week ago) to replace the 9’ x 9’ tent my wife and I have been using for many years ... we’re really looking forward to not trekking through the cold and dark to find the outhouse (or largest tree) in the middle of the night. This GT has the floor plan I wanted with a curb side dinette and front gaucho (the bed is as far from the toilet as possible). It only sleeps 3 but that’s ok. The body is in fairly good condition, the floor is solid, everything works (so far) and it made the thousand mile journey to its new home in Oklahoma City without any problems.

The GT is in need of a remodel. It was “renovated” in the early eighties, according to the paperwork, and lost a lot of its originality. So, I have (yet another) new hobby and look forward to using the Forum to help me out with issues as the remodel progresses.

I haven’t joined the VAC but may consider it when I have a little more time to make some of the events and get the trailer spruced up enough to not be an embarrassment. Right now we plan to take a few long weekends during this summer before getting to work on the remodel.

Glad to find you.

Blake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62GT_01.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	20242   Click image for larger version

Name:	62GT_02.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	20243  

Skinnyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Hi, Blake,

Welcome to the forums. First thing you should think about is repositioning that AC. A previous owner just plopped it on the back vent, but it should probably go in between the two vents. Cutting a new hole is not hard, and Lou patterson is one of the board's resident experts on the topic. Apparently AS can tell you where exactly to put the hole, if you call customer service.

Wow, I have seen all of those "upgrades" like the funky awning and rear bumper box on another AS, Rod's TW that I looked at for him last summer. Wonder if there's any connection?

That is a great looking coach. Spray paint the Water heater door Aluminum and that would be cool. Get it out on the road and start camping!

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
Welcome skinnyfish, if you plan to remodle your GT, the best place to start is to at least visit the VAC rally. Sat from noon to three is open house and you can tour 60 plus units for inspiration and help . These people have done it all and can tell you where to get parts and inspiration for the job ahead. We are expecting 60 units at the rally,this much experience in one place at one time is a valuable resouce. You don't have to be embarassed about the condition of your unit we have see worse, When I got mine I could put my finger throught the floor under the front goucho. I hope to be the "must see" unit at this years rally with a completely redone interior.
WBCCI #5345
62 Globe Trotter 19'
69 Sovereign 31'
04 E-350 Van 6.0 diesel
Old 04-15-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
62 globetrotter

hello stagecoch bill and blake.glad to have a couple 62 gt owners climb up on my thread.i have a very very original 62 globetrotter.the magic chef oven has never even been used,my neighbors mom bought it new in 62.it has a red and white zip dee awning,original norcold gas and electric fridge,original carlton gas heater,original bowen gas water heater,curbside bed and front bed.upholstery is mexican serenade,i have a fantastic fan in the rear vent and a/c is dometic in the front vent where the skylite was.if you need any details blake about the proper installation of the a/c call ron socorro at toscanos airstream in los banos at 209 826 2488.they did an excellent install on mine.you have to add a brace.stagecoach bill,is this the rally that shari at inside out attends.i would like to go to it if i can.i can assure you both that i have so much of the hard to find documentation on the 62 globetrotter,ill have to see if i can find the time away from work but i would really love to attend.i havent had the globetrotter out since i moved and sold my 99 safari.my latest project is a little orange honda ct70 to take with me to camp/ride death valley/bryce canyon, and wherever i can when i camp.ive got it up and running ,and im really dying to get out.havent finished my polishing yet,
.the 62 is just a nice effortless good handler and a\pleasure to tow at 19 ft and 1950 lbs,my 5.7 litre vortec efi 98 gmc sierra with 17 inch wheels pulls it in overdrive no problem ,i really found that out when i took it to the hobo rally a couple of years back.ive been wanting to take it thru arizona, colorado, utah ,new mexico on a good outing,ive got some nice penciled original drafts and cut away views from the airstream factory of the different 62 globetrotter floorplans ,and interesting hard to find things on the 62 globetrotter that have been in envelopes for almost 45 years.i was going to have fred colwell upload them to the vac a while back but i couldnt find the drivers to run this colorado 3800 scanner i have on this new hp compaq computer since my dell crashed.ill be sure to share all if i come to this rally and some competent person can scan and upload them to the vac for others to view.i do have a lot of valuable original documentation on everything you can think of from 62 when there wasnt any owners manuals.thanks for the holler,id really like to get up and go if i can. thanks wayne wunder w.b.c.c.i./vac#1859 62 globetrotter wunderful62@sbcglobal.net
wayne wunder ,w.b.c.c.i./v.a.c.#4287 1962 19ft globetrotter
Old 04-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Globeville

Hi Wayne and Blake:

There are nine 1960's Globe Trotters registered to date for our 2006 Rocky Mt. Rally, enough to form a village, name it "Globeville", and have its caring villagers raise my Wee Wind until it finishes childhood. We also have a variety of Travelers, Bambis, Bambi IIs and Caravels coming too, perhaps enough to incorporate a town called Shorton or Stubby Heights. Maybe we should shoot for the "Shortest Trailer Rally of the Year" award!

We pray you guys can find the time to attend, check out your trailers' siblings, and get many new and old ideas to implement. Wayne, I'll have my laptop and flatbed scanner there for scanning documents, but hope you can find the right drivers to get your scanner operational in the meantime. As The Little Printz says, "God Bless every trailer, but especially the length-impaired."
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
Hi Wayne, Blake and Fred, hope to see you all at the VAC rally/ Fred, when you and I talked at the Casa Bonita luncheon about building the new dinette, it was still in the planning stage, now almost complete. Picked up the foam for the cushions yesterday, have to cut them to fit and upholster, wife and I found some great material to use with the fake fur cushions. Can't wait to show it off.
WBCCI #5345
62 Globe Trotter 19'
69 Sovereign 31'
04 E-350 Van 6.0 diesel
Old 04-21-2006, 10:10 AM   #9
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to jlester
It is nice to know there are several GT 1962 out there. I have been working on my GT for a year now. I am almost ready to put the body back onto the frame.
jlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Greetings!

Wayne-

Greetings from South Sunnyvale!! I assume you had a good reason not to join the local WBCCI Unit headed for Woodland Fairgrounds this weekend...

You should really consider joining the Nor-Cal Forum group and pulling up to the Russian River next weekend, via 101 and River Road past Kendall Jackson.. Great group, trailers from all era's and no ceremonies and no mandatory meal times, except for pot-luck on Saturday..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
62 GT need help On my 62 the sewer connector is 2/3 rds the way across the bottom of the trailer almost to the curb side. the gate valve works through a hole in the rear bumper.. My problem is that the valve I would have to put the sewer hose to is bronze and none of the fittings I can find at the camper store or in the catalogs fit. Does anyone know where I can get the proper fitting to connect the sewer hose??? Or has someone found a way around the problem.
WBCCI #5345
62 Globe Trotter 19'
69 Sovereign 31'
04 E-350 Van 6.0 diesel
Old 04-21-2006, 11:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Bronze? No, GOLD!

SCBill -

That fitting can't be bronze!!! This is an AirStream we are talking about - it's GOLD Baby!!!!

Sorry I can't help with your issue, couldn't help but let that 'pun' out either!

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:41 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Thanks to everyone for the nice welcome … I haven’t visited the forum in a while and was happy to see the great response. Also, thanks for the invitation to the Rocky Mountain Rally. My wife is “making” me go visit our daughter and grandkids (and the son-in-law of course) in Alaska this August so I probably can’t make it to the rally but, if plans change, I’d really like to be there. I had a project in Southfork (about 15 miles south of Creede) a few years ago and found a restaurant in Wagon Wheel Gap that I thought had pretty good food … check it out.

Progress on my GT since my last post … I’ve basically cleaned out the previous owner’s nasty stuff he left behind, adjusted the main door and replaced the old weather stripping … I still need to install a new lock-set assembly. The trailer rides a little low and I’m uncomfortable with the 44 year old axle and brakes so I ordered a new one … that will increase the ride height and the load capacity not to mention safety … a new set of tires and I’m ready to go anywhere. I plan to ‘attack’ the windows next. Thanks to John & Wayne for the A/C info … the unit does look a little dumb hanging off the back and I think moving that weight forward would be good.

Is this forum the place to share pictures? I’m still designing (in my head) what I want to do with the interior and I would like to see everyone else’s ideas especially stagecoachbill’s fur cushions, Wayne’s all-original appliances and jlester’s body-off resto. I’m pretty sure I want to change out the “wood” floor and wainscot (it’s actually carpet) … what do you think?

Blake

[IMG]z:%5CMy%20Pictures%5CNaturePics%5CAirstream%5C62GT _19%5C62GT_03.jpg[/IMG]
Skinnyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:13 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet rocky mtn a/s rally 8/11/06 8/15/06

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagecoachbill
Hi Wayne, Blake and Fred, hope to see you all at the VAC rally/ Fred, when you and I talked at the Casa Bonita luncheon about building the new dinette, it was still in the planning stage, now almost complete. Picked up the foam for the cushions yesterday, have to cut them to fit and upholster, wife and I found some great material to use with the fake fur cushions. Can't wait to show it off.
hey bill i just registered yesterday for the rocky mtn rally in colorado. its been a couple years now since i have been up that way,ill be coming up through death valley ,mojave tahatchipy ,bakersfield,kingman ,quartside blythe and all that so im leavin a week early.im going to bring my honda trail 70.ive been wantin to get a bowl of that good green chili pozole at this little resturant in durango colorado i found when i was last out there on one of my motorcycle rides to 4 corners/ignacio area.it was so good i went all the way back up there again from san jose calif. on our bikes with a couple of friends and they were closed.love those new mexico chiles.maybe theyll give me a little extra when i tell em about it!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
2006 rocky mtn a/s rally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Hi Wayne and Blake:

There are nine 1960's Globe Trotters registered to date for our 2006 Rocky Mt. Rally, enough to form a village, name it "Globeville", and have its caring villagers raise my Wee Wind until it finishes childhood. We also have a variety of Travelers, Bambis, Bambi IIs and Caravels coming too, perhaps enough to incorporate a town called Shorton or Stubby Heights. Maybe we should shoot for the "Shortest Trailer Rally of the Year" award!

We pray you guys can find the time to attend, check out your trailers' siblings, and get many new and old ideas to implement. Wayne, I'll have my laptop and flatbed scanner there for scanning documents, but hope you can find the right drivers to get your scanner operational in the meantime. As The Little Printz says, "God Bless every trailer, but especially the length-impaired."
hey fred, i just wanted to let you know that i have registered for the rally and sent in the fees yesterday for the nites of 8/11/06-8/15/06. i found my cyclo and nuvite but ive been real busy at work so im bringing it along just in case ive got a few spare moments.ill have to go to my folks ranch and start getting her ready for the trip.i sold my 2000 27ft safari a while back and put a lot of the contents inside the globetrotter but that shouldnt take too long to sort out.then i can find the things i wanted to bring to upload to the v.a.c.for others to view on the 62 globetrotter that so many people have asked me for that i am willing to share.i might arrive a few days early to the rally. see you then. wayne wunder 62 globetrotter. i cant believe its been more than a few years since i LAST HAD HER OUT"
Old 05-19-2006, 10:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello stagecoachbill ,

your valve is indeed brass ,what you need is the sewer elbow which is cast aluminum ,do you have the termination cap also aluminum?These parts are almost made of unobtainium meaning tuff to find .I have a termination cap if you need one.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Well ,there will be at least one 60 tradewind going ,and it's ours .Im really looking forward to it.I don't have to much to do to our rig but get a final traveling polish on her when we get closer to august .I like to do a preflight spruce up before departure when im going on a run.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Hi Wayne and Blake:

hey fred, i just wanted to let you know that it looks like i will be going to the rocky mtn rally after all,with my 62 globetrotter.i sent you a message last nite but didnt see it posted so it must not have gone through.it was one of the last things i did on the computer last nite and i didnt check to see if it had posted, so ill see you there 8/11/06-8/15/06
Old 05-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
Hi Scottanlily,
Thanks for the info but I gave up and went for a completely new way of handeling the sewer connection, I found out throught trial and trial and trial that a Valterra elbow just fit up inside the brass fitting. Using plastic cement and a strap i got it down to a 3" codes drain pipe which I ran to the left side corner of the bumper and put a new gate valve there at the corner. I cut off and sealed the gray water 1 1/4" pipes to the brass fitting and teed them together and into their own 3" drain which I ran paralles to same corner with its own gate valve, This effectively gives me a gray water tank that is 3" in diameter and 5' long. If this works well I may incease its holding capacity by adding another 3" pipe parallel to it the width of the trailer. I be glad to show it off at the VAC Rally. See you there.
WBCCI #5345
62 Globe Trotter 19'
69 Sovereign 31'
04 E-350 Van 6.0 diesel
Old 10-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #20
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i just joined the 62 globe trotter club myself. it's mroe of ashell than a trailer at this point! ha! this one makes 3 for me... and none of them have working toilets! oh well! what fun would THAT be?

i do need to get some plans for a side dinette, though if anyone has them handy? i just posted another thread on it.

trot on!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote