Old 12-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Undoubtablybored

1963 19' Globetrotter
Martin , Tennessee
1963 Globe Trotter Winter Project

I bought this lovely fixer upper on craigslist, it is a 1963 Globe Trotter as far as I can tell from other pictures of like trailers. I would love words of wisdom from others that have started and or completed full interior restorations (I am only 24 so this is a first for me). The floor is rotted the shower is sinking and whoever had it last smoked. Any ideas on how to clean without damaging the original interior paint? Is there a way not to take the body apart and replace the floor? Thanks for any help.... and to people living close to Martin Tn, most interior stuff will go stove fridge panels tub ect. i am keeping the sinks tho...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2267.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	72127   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2281.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	72128  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2264.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	72129  

Old 12-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Good Choice

There are 2 schools of restorationists. One is the purist; return it to the origional condition. The other is the function-artista's. I belong to this highly evolved, slightly ne'er-do-well element. Just kidding. The look of the Airstream is a classic, but I like state of the art comforts and conveniences, even though some of these things are best in old tech.
Some like wood stoves, some like tapestries, some like wood floors, some like LED, LCD and Blue-ray DVD. You get what I am saying?
Do what you want. Keep thoughts on how much it will weigh, how much time and money you are willing to part with and remember weight, time and money. It will cost more, take more time and cost more than you ever imagined.
The frame is key, then the floor, frame, tanks, outside skin, insulation, inside skin and then the finish work, the fun part begins. I like the idea of axles almost near the end so you know how much it weighs and what kind of axle you need.
Discouraged?
Do not be.
We have had ours 9 years and the restoration has hardly begun, but we love it.
Keep reading, asking questions and maybe visit other Airstreamers, they are everywhere.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Let me know if "We" can help!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrjbenn View Post
...The floor is rotted the shower is sinking and whoever had it last smoked. Any ideas on how to clean without damaging the original interior paint? ...
I use TSP. It's a wallpaper glue remover available at Home Depot, but it's a little bit corrosive to aluminum, so you want to make sure you rinse it off (it won't hurt the paint, but you wouldn't want to put so much on that it leaked behind the skin). It removes years of oily goo. If you spray it on, wear a mask or you'll have a scratchy throat for a day. I finally decided to use rubber gloves and a scratchy sponge (the non-scratch kind, it that makes any sense), which works great.

Quote:
Is there a way not to take the body apart and replace the floor? Thanks for any help.... and to people living close to Martin Tn, most interior stuff will go stove fridge panels tub ect. i am keeping the sinks tho...
You may find in the end that you want to replace the sink, which you can do with a small stainless bar sink. I did that in my Sovereign and like it--the plywood counter and stainles sink is much easier to clean and is more useful than the molded plastic tiny sink.

Yes, many threads here show you how to replace the floor without removing the shell. But I'm doing a Safari project that needed only 1/4 of the floor replaced and it isn't going well at all, mostly because I'm finding that I want to clean the frame and POR-15 it, and doing that with a partial floor is a real painful exercise. If you have to replace the whole floor, I recommend taking the shell off--you'll get done in far less time and you'll probably scrape and paint the frame while you're at it, without adding much time to the project.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
chrjbrenn,
Another cleaner is Simple Green. It's not as corrosive as other products. You still need to clean and wipe down to get rid of smoker's stink. Another approach is to toss all "foam" rubber cushion pad/curtains and just abt anything that had absorbed the smoke's nicotine/tar.
about - airstream renovation pics
Check this website out for a complete re-work of a 64 GT. There even a short video clip there for your edification..
Enjoy and, Congrats on your find~!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Undoubtablybored

1963 19' Globetrotter
Martin , Tennessee
There are 2 schools of restorationists. One is the purist; return it to the origional condition. 9 years of restoration

I hope to eliminate the gas aspect of the trailer all together. I intend to put an electric fridge stove top microwave and a tankless water heater in it. Any pros and cons of this attack at the project you have had?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

You never know what life has in store for you.

Are you sure that you want to get rid of the gas ( propane ) utilities?
Propane powered furnace, water heater, and fridge make camping out
in the woods make much, much nicer. I didn't know that they made an electric tankless water heater. I bet it would be slow or expensive to run. The point is, Are you sure that you won't be traveling, or camping in remote areas sometime in the future?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
I wish i could have had my 1st AS a the young age of 24. Congrats on the new 63 GT, I have a 63 TW love it. Camping in the wilderness with gas is almost a must. I have 2 large propane tanks that run all major appliances. Before you gut the inside, remember it is easy an fast to rip it all out long and slow to put it all back in. Have fun.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
..I hope to eliminate the gas aspect of the trailer all together. I intend to put an electric fridge stove top microwave and a tankless water heater in it. Any pros and cons of this attack at the project you have had?
I predict you will be sorry. You will be limited to "camping" in RV parks--there are no generators big enough to run a water heater and stove top. And if there is, you can't lift it.

What you're saying is that you will never pull over to the side of the road to have lunch, etc., or never go boondocking. You will always have to tow with the fridge in 12V mode, then remember to switch it over to 110V or you'll have a dead battery.

If you take the propane out, you might as well take the battery out, too, since you'll always be parked at a fully equipped hookup site. Shoot, take out the water tank and black storage tank, since you'll be hooked up city water and a dump/sewer connection.

Airstream, a few decades ago, made a trailer just like this. I think they were called "Park" models, as in "RV Park." There really is a reason that the modern airstream can operate self-contained for a short period, like several days. Think about it.

Zep
Old 12-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
Undoubtablybored

1963 19' Globetrotter
Martin , Tennessee
Well def. some stuff to consider. Thanks everyone for there insight so far. I will have to wage the price of reinstalling the tanks, propane lines, and buying a new/used water heater, stove, and lp/electric fridge. I know this wasnt going to be a cheap venture but i would like to be camping in it within a year or so and budgeting for the gas stuff is twice what going to just electric will cost from what i have looked at. But it will better than tent camping any way i look at it even if i gut it and sleep on an airmatress with a cooler! The fact it is a vintage airstream will make up for it.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #11
Undoubtablybored

1963 19' Globetrotter
Martin , Tennessee
First thing saturday starts the removing of the old. Going to take lots of pictures and measurements incase i hit a real snag putting it back together.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
... I will have to wage the price of reinstalling the tanks, propane lines, and buying a new/used water heater, stove, and lp/electric fridge. I know this wasnt going to be a cheap venture but ... But it will better than tent camping any way i look at it even if i gut it and sleep on an airmatress with a cooler! The fact it is a vintage airstream will make up for it.
Many have done "aluminum tent" camping and loved it. The first task is to get the floor and frame in good shape. Take it in small steps. You can then go camping with your cooler the first year.

Good luck no matter how you go. I think you'll find a lot of members who are willing to donate stoves. I haven't seen water heaters or working fridges, though. Bummer.

Zep
Old 12-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Chrjbenn if you shop right you can find that you'll be able to get good rv appliances for reasonable prices (try Palomino Parts for example). We were able to get the refrigerator, water heater and range for less than camping world wanted just for the refrigerator alone (even before tax).

Having gas appliances really makes it nice, particularly if you travel and don't get 100% to your destination and want to make food, heat the place etc at a rest stop or similiar where power isn't available. Finally also consider that household appliances such as water heaters and refrigerators aren't designed to bounce down the highway, but rather sit very still in one location for a long time.

Refrigerator and water heaters can both be ordered to run on 110/gas options and refrigerators can also be ordered 3way with 12v power for travel time as well. I'd price and save up, in the long term you'll be happier I think.

I'll also second the simple green, used that on both trailers and with soft brissle brush (such as a car wash brush) it quickly breaks down dirt, grease, tabacco, etc. Also have heard good things from friends that those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers do a great job on smooth surfaces such as walls at removing tobacco stains in a house before prepping to paint a house that had been chain smoked in for decades.
LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I have been doing the "Aluminum Tent" with my Globetrotter for one season. My wife and I have had alot of fun. It's also really easy to find all the leaks.

Tags