Old 07-27-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
1962 Globetrotter questions

I just purchased a 62 GT. The skin is near perfect minus a polish job. The interior needs a big clean up and some redecorating but most everything is original and intact. The window openers don't work. Is there a repacement or improvement available? If I want to install an AC is there a wire preplaced in the ceiling? How does the water system work? I think it is a air pressure system. Does it work well or should I think about a demand pump. This is my 4th AS and I do all my own work. Is there any problem areas should be aware of. Thanks for any responses. Brad

Old 07-27-2006, 08:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Search the Forums here

Your search will be easier with the experience of others. Sources and know how are both available.

Don't use air pressure on the Water system unless you know it has pressure relief that works. Some of those 60's had an air valve put in the filler neck with no relief available...LOOK OUT BELOW!

Go with a pump. Use your Tradewind as a guide.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:45 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Brad ~

Melody is right on. You should install a water pump, get rid of the air compressor, and possibly replace your fresh water tank with a poly one that is larger in volume since its not being pressureized, the poly can hold up the the weight of the water.

I believe a wire and possibly a drain line should be up in the ceiling in a '62 model although it could be '63 the factory started doing this. If there isn't one, its not impossible to add one yourself. Run it up to where you want to install the AC up through a closet and then fish it through the skins with a coat hanger. I had to run one between the skins for appr. 20" or so. Not too difficult. Best of luck with your repairs and renovations.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Thanks for the help. I guess I will first get all the original systems working and then decide which areas I will upgrade. I installed an AC on my 74 tradewind and the wire was in the ceiling so it went easy. Where is the best place to put an AC on the Globetrotter? I'm thinking between the skylight and the vent. By the way, what kind of cover should the skylight have. Mine is a piece of plexiglass. I don't think it will work out in rain. So far I have gotten all the outside lights (tail, brake, marker, blinkers) working. Then I fixed all the inside 110 and 12 volt lights and outlets. I will work on the water system next then the gas. I also got the fridge working on 110. I'm not even going to try to fix the water heater. This trailer has been parked for more than 10 years.If I replace it with a modern one can I find one to fit the hole or do I have to get creative? Thanks Again Brad
Old 07-27-2006, 08:36 PM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Call the factory service dept. and they can tell you exactly where it should go and also about the power line and drain tube, if these are present. Post some pix when you can.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
I posted some pictures in the Members Photos. They are in Bradjun1's phhotos.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello Brajun1,

My 60 24ft trdwnd has a pressurized system .I replaced the old trashed
aluminum water tank with a new custom built stainless steel tank.It retains all the original pressure setup,the Red Grover compressor has a pressure relief
cutoff ,the black square part on the unit .It works really well ,but is an old
design .Melody ranch is right about the fill valve on the filler pipe.It was for pumping air in with a bicycle pump or compressor at the filling station back then and there was no way to know the pressure you would build up ,some
older coaches PO had installed an external air gage .I have a pressure gauge
mounted near the switch in the trailer so I can watch the pressure.I have
no trouble with it ,runs the shower even ,just make sure the pressure is up
to start with .Plenty of pressure at the faucets and commode etc.The cap
valve on the outside also was suppose to unscrew so you could fill the tank.
Mine has the original faucet on the cap ,so I fill it there with the city water
hose connection when full hookups are desired ,they are alot of the time .
You should get a look in that tank as it may be junk ,most are 40 some years old.Then you can change over as flyfshr says to a new setup .My tank was special made and it would be expensive to have one built ,as it is a pressure
vessel usually requiring certification.

Scott of scottanlily
Old 08-16-2006, 12:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Forgot to say that I installed a suburban water heater also as the bowen
was in horrible shape .I installed a ten gallon unit .I used furnace ducting
pieces available in most home stores ,they have many small parts of metal
ducting in many shapes .Anyway I ran the ducting close to the original and reused the outer shroud assembly ,route the same way ,works great.The atwoods I think are real close in design as the bowen ,so that brand may
work better in the venting and such.You will get a bit creative and it can
be done getting it installed.

Scott
Old 08-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Rivet 62 globetrotter

scott, i have all the answers for you, the window cranks are available from steve henshen at vintage trailer supply. my globetrotter has the original tank and pump. both are working fine,although i once had to do some minor welding on the lower side of the water tank under the front bed,more importantly i then outfitted the tank with a shut off valve at the front tank water inlet,so as to isolate the tank if a water keak were to pop up at any time in the future while out camping,so i could continue my cqamping without flooding.the original pump works fine , i have manuals on it. the a/c belongs in the front skylite hole. a 13500 btu dometic penguin duo therm fits rite in there,and the btu size is about right. you will need to add a front cross rib there. as to your question of wiring. 62 was rite about the time a/s was beginning to pre wire for the a/c. however you will neen to pick up your power off the interior roof lamp,as the power wire only extends to thsat point. it is fused and located as a double breaker in the cabinet where the bowen water heater resides. youbwill need to install a switcch off the dome lamp that will control the lamp only and pass power over to the a/c. all of this was done for me at toscanos airstream dealer (209 826 2488)when you speak about the fridge i take it you are talking about the original norcold propane /electric. if so i had to replace the heater element and some minor repairs otherwise had to be made to heep it workong properly as it does on both sides.i too am working on polishing the skin anr re finishing the wood cabinets, though much of the mechanical/new axle/elec brakes/shocks and tires have been done. all appliances original with the a/c added.i put on a zipdee awning recently.i just got back online today and im getting things in order .you can pm me later and i can e mail you my pics or direct you to yhem. talk later .
wayne wunder ,w.b.c.c.i./v.a.c.#4287 1962 19ft globetrotter
wunderful62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
I don't see any info about the drain connector. If you have fittings thet fit guard them with your life replacements are not available. I had to bebuild lthe dump line completely. cut off the gray water connections and built a seperate gray water dump line with its own gate valve. I actually have a gray water tank (6' of 4" pipe") to the corner of the bumper.
WBCCI #5345
62 Globe Trotter 19'
69 Sovereign 31'
04 E-350 Van 6.0 diesel
stagecoachbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:50 AM   #11
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
what are the old pressurized tanks made of? just curious. aluminum would be cool! though i bet they're galvanized steel. my globe trotter had that set-up, too. i plan on replacing it as well.

jp

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:41 AM   #12
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
My original pressurized tank was aluminum. Looked to be in good shape on the outside, couldn't say about the inside. Who knows what matter of liquids were put in there in its 42 year life span when I decided to replace it. Would have made a nice extra gas tank for the truck just wouldn't know where to put it.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 AM   #13
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i'll have to check mine today. i'm not opposed to a little blinged up water tank, if it's in teh cards!

jp

there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:51 PM   #14
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Might polish up nice if its to be out in the open and seen. Now that would look cool.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.

Tags
1962, 1962 globetrotter