Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Small Town , Mississippi
Hey flygrrl and thanks for all the info! I've found all of the lights at Vintage Trailer Supply except for the two on the front under the window by the gas bottles; and the three on the front and back of the trailer above the windows.
Keep me updated on your resto and send me a link to it please.(might give me insight in the long run)
No we have not come up with a name as of yet; that will probably come to us somewhere during the resto process.
As for the wiring I couldn't tell you anything because all of our fixtures were gone. we do plan on doing led lighting but I will have to do some checking in on what fixtures and all will work. As for the converter ive found one that come out of an 80's pop up camper I was planning on researching how to retro fit but am not sure if that is the route I'd like to go.
What is this Intellipower? Could you please enlighten me on specs, how it works, ecc?
As for the Clearwater tank upfront and compressor we are deciding what we are wanting to do and how. Removal is probably in the near future and if so we will be going with some sort of plastic tank. How does the on demand setup build pressure? We are also considering going with a tankless hot water heater. I do a lot of hunting and this is the main reason we obtained this trailer(the better half getting involved just made it that much more fun). So I do not want to remove my water storage being that I will be so far from a water supply. Hence our trailer will be a "boondocker".
As far as end caps: ours are fiberglass as well. I believe from what I have read that they all are for our era trailer. We actually comtenplated converting to aluminuim, but that was vetoed and we are just going to paint the existing end caps to add a little color.
And that video is an awesome comparison between airstream and other companies.

Now on to the next reply:
As for the lights on top I really hope I can find replacements as I like their look. From what I understand from reading other post is it may have been a upgrade or package from the factory. As far as the toolbox on the rear I figured it was something one of the previous owners had rigged together. If yours has it though it would be cool to see some pics to compare if it was factory. It is very possible. And back to the lights; I would be very interested in anyone that has these or may know somewhere to purchase these.

Next
Thanks for finding that link for me. I wish I could make out the pics a little bit better. May have to seeif I can contact owner and get more info.

Thanks again. Any more questions or info?
1962GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Small Town , Mississippi
Also flygrrl have you used the bargman 99 lights? Or the side markers from vintage trailer supply? If so how was fit? And how do they look? Original?

1962GT
1962GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #43
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Hi, Sorry for the long time to reply, I have been busy buying a 95 Jeep YJ, and trying to get it to pass an e-test. LOL
How is your resto going?
The Intellipower is a brain for your baby, it will keep the batteries optimal from the shore power or tow vehicle, or solar, switch automatically when you plug in and let you know your power useage and levels, etc.etc. very handy, nay, indispensable, and worth every penny.
If you are still thinking about changing the end caps to aluminum, Colin H.(Hyde) just showed me the kits they have developed for just this issue. Digitally laser pre-cut and ready to go, they are awesome. Contact Colin if you are interested.
The rotomolded tanks do not build up pressure, you would use an on-demand pump like a Shurflo, when you open the faucet, the pump goes on.
The teardrop markers from VTS work great, almost identical to the originals. My AS does not have exterior lights under the front windows, and the PO installed quite appropriate LED rear lights which I will keep.
A really good idea is to go to a nearby, largish, RV supply place and get their current catalogue free, you will probably not buy much from them, but it is great bathroom reading, and you will learn a lot. They will be online too so you can research prices.
My baby also has a triangular toolbox in the A frame at the hitch, I gather that this was also an option. I will be removing it since it is rather the worse for wear and kinda shoddy looking.
Cheers,
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1962, 1962 globetrotter