Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1960 - 1963 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #1
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
'63 FC Update

Starting to make some progress on the 63 Flying Cloud. It's moved to the driveway, bellypan is off, interior all out and pressure washed, got a little polishing in.

Check out the blog at http://my63flyingcloud.blogspot.com/

One quick question. Those thingamabobs that push the Astradome up and down. Are you supposed to turn the handles and they go up and down. I've been soaking mine in WD40 for a week and they are froze solid. Any other ideas.

Thanks as always for all the input. Couldn't have done any of it without your help.
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello dmaiden ,

Yep ,those are the vent operators by Hehr ,they can be hard to loosen .One of mine never unfroze ,blaster ,WD 40 etc ,for weeks soaking still no way .
finally had to get it apart ,and did ,but the square part that the handle pops
onto is now detached from the inner piece ,don't know how to fix it yet .so
be extra careful to go easy on the loosening .I knew this one might come apart too far on me but had to do it .If others know a solution for this Id
also appreciate some advice .

thanks

scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Maybe you tried this but - many times some light tapping will loosen it along with the penetrating oil. Use a block of wood so you don't damage or deform the metal, and don't tap too hard!
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote