Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #81
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Good idea, Colin. Would you replace the black tank now too, since it's so old? Do they still make them? The Bambi II bathroom doesn't look like a Caravel or a Bambi from what I can find. I'm trying to be careful because I'm not sure if I can find replacements for the tank & shower pan. I'll get one of the menfolk around here to try your method for removing the drain today. Then I'll attack the black tank.
Hi Becky,
I've had good luck using Incon direct.com for black tanks. I believe they build one that suits Caravels & may suit your Bambi II. The nice thing about them is that you can get them without the inlet flange bonded in so you can orient it within the black tank cover, then drill to suit the original position of the toilet. They also sell the toilet flange along with "regrind" which when mixed with acetone creates a slurry allowing you to chemically weld the flange to the tank.................just like the factory does it
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
We got the black tank out this afternoon. I saw Colin H's post on Vintage Restorations & hope we can reuse it with some modifications.
Am I correct in assuming that the shower pan and the black tank are the self-same molded fiberglass piece? It looks to me like the toilet sits up in the black tank which is the same mold as the lower shower base/floor with drain.

Do you have any pictures of this extraction? I will be tearing into our Bambi II in a number of weeks and have already really benefited from your demo analysis.

I am realizing that being in a doctoral program and helping my wife take care of our now two-week old daughter will be very taxing on my spare time...but I firmly believe in balanced lifestyle, and redoing this Airstream will constitute much of my leisure/relaxation time this Spring, Summer, and Fall.
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
The shower pan and black tank are one in the same. The lower pan (where the drain is located) can be separated from the black tank/toilet by removing the rivets along the edge of the black tank. I gotta tell ya, the bathroom was a PITA to get out. I used the sawzall to get the black tank/toilet all the way out. I removed an access pan from under the trailer & then cut both sides of the dump valve (actually, I conned my son into sawing it for me) He tried to loosen the nuts on either side, but it was not going anywhere. Both pieces are fiberglass, not plastic. They both survived & I'll be reusing them. You have to remove the plastic strip along the top edge of the pans (mine was kind of white) Then, you have to remove the silver strip that is under that (it has rivets all the way around it). You also have to remove the walls to get all of this stuff out. I'm making new walls, etc. I'll have to get my camera & upload some more pictures (I have lots). It'll be tuff to do this & not destroy anything so you can put it back in......

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Maybe someone else knows if this can be removed without removing the walls--? Just seems like it would be really hard.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Wow Becky, What did you do with all your spare time before you found this poor little trailer?

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Well, this past winter I screened in an existing roof on our porch & sewed floor to ceiling curtains (I hate sewing--glad that's over!) So, I needed a new challenge & have found it! My husband is helping me with the plumbing & electric (not things that I'm very good at!) I manage to find about a hour or two each day to tear it apart!

Speaking of electric, my DH thinks there was a major short in the electric of the trailer. There was no coating left on the ground in more than one place. In fact, the streetside that has a hole corroded in it was caused by a bare ground wire. Dang, if only that weren't there! Oh well, I'll have to ask for the rivet gun for Mother's Day!

There are a couple of pretty large holes left from the awning bracket (took the awning off). Are there larger buck rivets that I can use to fill them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03218.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	125805  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
There are a couple of pretty large holes left from the awning bracket (took the awning off). Are there larger buck rivets that I can use to fill them?
Maybe (the other guys would know). The thing I had thought about for mine was using rivenuts, or acutally aluminum washers. Good squirt of vulkem between every mating surface, then clean it off once tight.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #88
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
Hi Becky,
I'm assuming you're talking about the grey tanks from Vintage Trailer Supply that are 15 gallons. I worked with Steve on the development of these tanks & they were designed to fit within the bellypan cavities between the frame rails & crossmembers.
Colin
Colin, will these tanks fit between the last two rails on the Bambi II? We did some rough measuring on our B2 and are doubtful because the B2 is some 10" narrower than other models. Will it accept the length of the tank? We are not too far along with our own B2 resto to install one if it would work. BTW, for Becky, we got a new Black Tank from Inland RV. It doesn't look exactly stock, but works.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Colin, will these tanks fit between the last two rails on the Bambi II? We did some rough measuring on our B2 and are doubtful because the B2 is some 10" narrower than other models. Will it accept the length of the tank? We are not too far along with our own B2 resto to install one if it would work. BTW, for Becky, we got a new Black Tank from Inland RV. It doesn't look exactly stock, but works.
Good question for Colin. Hope he checks in here. I'm also wondering about some missing "C" channel on the front and rear sections of my trailer. I've attached some pix of them. (the white stripe is the sun streaking in). The rear has a 1/4" opening between the floor & wall. My son says he can weld aluminum & can fabricate new c channel. Shouldn't it be all the way along the front as well as the back? We're almost ready to pull the shell off. We're going to use Colin's way & pull it straight up.

I'm also wondering what the two holes in the front (they were under the couch) are for. Are they access for the brakes & tail lights? My '86 doesn't have anything like that, so I'm wondering.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0089.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	125833   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0090.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	125834  

Name:	DSC_0091.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	125835   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0092.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	125836  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-31-2011, 06:38 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
<SNIP>
Speaking of electric, my DH thinks there was a major short in the electric of the trailer. There was no coating left on the ground in more than one place. In fact, the streetside that has a hole corroded in it was caused by a bare ground wire. Dang, if only that weren't there! Oh well, I'll have to ask for the rivet gun for Mother's Day!
More than likely the cause of the hole was electrolysis between the different metals of copper in the ground and the aluminum skin. The ground wire coating probably wore off due to rubbing with the skin when the trailer was in motion. Add a little water (damp) and some electons from the ground wire and the skin loses in the exchange.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I'm also wondering about some missing "C" channel on the front and rear sections of my trailer. The rear has a 1/4" opening between the floor & wall. My son says he can weld aluminum & can fabricate new c channel. Shouldn't it be all the way along the front as well as the back? We're almost ready to pull the shell off. We're going to use Colin's way & pull it straight up.

I'm also wondering what the two holes in the front (they were under the couch) are for. Are they access for the brakes & tail lights? My '86 doesn't have anything like that, so I'm wondering.....
Thanks so much for the pictures! Looking great! You are inspiring me to get going on my Bambi II demo as well! We have been busy with the baby, but when the time comes, at least I will know what I am looking at and looking for.

It is great your son is such a good fabricator. I have people at work who hook me up with welding and fabrication services. Two have volunteered to come over and repair the frame here in the driveway. My goal is to have the trailer towable by Summer's end and ready for camping (not complete...just ready for camping) by next Summer.

I do think those holes in the floor up front would be for access to the trailer light wiring loom. It appears to be in the right place for that. As for the missing C-Channel, I have no idea. Seems every one of these trailers was a prototype. It would be interesting to see how many production changes were made between my #0002 and your #0003!

Also looking forward to see how your lifting of the shell goes. I plan on doing a shell-on restoration, but who knows? It is a pretty small trailer, so maybe shell-off will be the way to go.

Keep up the good work!! Ben
Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #92
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
Antique Pedaler,
Yes they should fit as the Bambi II frame width is the same as other Airstream's of the era. I am assuming of course that the frame height is 4" though. These tanks were designed to fit the narrower 13 panel models of the 50's, however they still fit the 60's & 70's era trailers. Linking two together is wonderful too!
Colin
Old 03-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Congrats on the baby, Ben! You'll have your trailer ready by the time he/she (you'll have to tell us what the baby is....) is walking! I have a little grandson who I look forward to having sleepovers in my trailer. (my finished one!) Lots of fun!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #94
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Good question for Colin. Hope he checks in here. I'm also wondering about some missing "C" channel on the front and rear sections of my trailer. I've attached some pix of them. (the white stripe is the sun streaking in). The rear has a 1/4" opening between the floor & wall. My son says he can weld aluminum & can fabricate new c channel. Shouldn't it be all the way along the front as well as the back? We're almost ready to pull the shell off. We're going to use Colin's way & pull it straight up.

Becky,
The "C" channel should go all of the way across, however this being the "entry level" trailer at the time, Airstream may have left them out as a cost saving measure.
The holes you are looking at are "Vermin access hatches"..............
I wouldn't bother cutting them into your new floor.
Colin

PS Your new axle is scheduled to be built 4/7/11
Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
The holes you are looking at are "Vermin access hatches"..............
I wouldn't bother cutting them into your new floor.
Colin

PS Your new axle is scheduled to be built 4/7/11 YEAH!

Is the hole that's cut in the floor under the refrigerator a vermin access hatch too? The vermin whiz actually ate the c channel across part of the front. Don't want any more holes than we need! Is the vent behind & out the top enough, or is the floor "vent" needed too?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Congrats on the baby, Ben! You'll have your trailer ready by the time he/she (you'll have to tell us what the baby is....) is walking! I have a little grandson who I look forward to having sleepovers in my trailer. (my finished one!) Lots of fun!
A little baby girl- Emma Lynn! We will fit in the tiny Scotty this year, but the Bambi will be required for future forays!

Did you get the lower interior panels off immediately adjacent to the main door frame? Was yours buck riveted in place? I am not sure how to remove those...I do not have buck riveting capabilities at this time, but I guess I will get some if need be.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
A little baby girl- Emma Lynn! We will fit in the tiny Scotty this year, but the Bambi will be required for future forays!

Did you get the lower interior panels off immediately adjacent to the main door frame? Was yours buck riveted in place? I am not sure how to remove those...I do not have buck riveting capabilities at this time, but I guess I will get some if need be.
Yes, they're off. The door was buck riveted. You have to just bite the bullet & try them. I used a center punch & made a ding in the middle. Then I drilled them out with a 1/8" bit on a regular drill. You can see the back of them on the door frame (mine doesn't have any seal on it...I can't remember what side it was on). If the head sticks, just take your center punch & put it in the hole you made & wiggle it around. It should come off. Start at the bottom where no one would notice if you screw it up!

And by the way, girls are wonderful! My daughters are some of my best friends now that they're adults! Enjoy her!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
<SNIP> Is the vent behind & out the top enough, or is the floor "vent" needed too?
The hole at the bottom for that type of fridge was to allow fresh air in to supply oxygen to the combustion chamber while the fridge was on propane. Hot air would then rise and exit the top vent - even when the fridge was on electric - the convection accross the coils was necessary for the fridge to work properly. The floor hole should have been protected with a screen mesh strong enough to prevent mice from chewing through.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
Antique Pedaler,
Yes they should fit as the Bambi II frame width is the same as other Airstream's of the era. I am assuming of course that the frame height is 4" though. These tanks were designed to fit the narrower 13 panel models of the 50's, however they still fit the 60's & 70's era trailers. Linking two together is wonderful too!
Colin

I just went out & measured the frame. It's 3"......

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Yesterday, my husband & I lifted the shell from the frame. My son climbed the tree & put a chain & pulley up there & it was run through the vent. A 2" x 6" x 8' board was used along with another screwed to it on edge in the middle to hold the top level & put the weight of the shell on. After a lot of Vulkem prying & a few stray rivets, the top came off. She was lowered down & shimmed on some wood and then tied down. Today we checked over the frame. It's toast. There are holes in the front where the belly pan was touching it (and the rat nest was there). My son is going to make me a new frame & add some of his own touches to it so it's beefier. It will be 4" instead of 3" so the Vintage RV Supply grey tanks can fit nicely. Next step is getting my subfloor & tracing the old plywood shape to it. Then I'll have to get the belly pan & old floor off so it will be easier for the boys to see what they have to remake for the frame. Glad I have some help, or I'd never be able to do it within financial reason!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0117.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	126071   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0116.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	126072  

Name:	DSC_0119.jpg